Funny Words- What does your country say?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OzAurora

Refugee
The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
after reading Lazyboys post in another forum where he used the word 'langers' which meant drunk, I was wondering what other delighful words I am missing out on. I know that Australians use heaps of words that are unique to here, and I guess you only realise this when you are talking to someone from another country, I guess some of our lesser known words, that I myself use all the time would be-

bottle-o: place where you buy alcohol
arvo: afternoon
bludger- lazy person
durry- cigarette
Give it a burl- to give something a go
Going off- something that is really good eg: 'how was the party last night?' 'oh it was going off!'
Trackie daks- tracksuit pants
Jack shit- nothing

that is all I can thik of at the moment
smile.gif

THe guy who lived next to me in uni was from England and told us that they call cigarettes fags.

And then he said, "But you NEVER say...Can I bum a fag?" when you're asking for a cigarette...

I am always asking people "where ya to?" and they give me strange looks. I think I picked it up in Newfoundland when I went there because I picked up the slag really fast.

------------------
He who stands atop the highest mountain can see the farthest

Originally posted by daisybean:
Where I grew up (Southern New England), they call sub sandwiches grinders. I thought it was completey normal till I moved and tried to order a "grinder" from a sub shop, I got some mighty strange looks.

lol -- we have a long tradition here of selling grinders at state fairs here. (I live in Iowa, BTW) But we usually call them subs.

Hmm.. everyone seems to look at me funny when I say sleet.
confused.gif
I thought it was a fairly universal word, but apparently not. Other than that..
tongue.gif
I don't think we have any unique words around here, but the way we pronounce things sometimes is pretty bad
biggrin.gif
"He'll play much betterer!"

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Popheart.org

a dag is generally someone who's a bit of a dork, doesnt have the right clothes, or moves lol
But its now more commonly used as a term of endearment if someone is a little silly.
Dag is actually one of my nicknames
rolleyes.gif

Oz, should we tell them what it really means?
biggrin.gif

one of the tastiest sammiches ever concocted!

It's usualy shrimp or oysters (breaded/fried) with lettuce/tomato/special sauce on a long roll....but you Cajuns feel free to correct me!

Up on Wisconsin, we say, "do you want to come with?" when going somewhere, and "hey" or "aina" at the end of questions ("cold day out, hey?" "that's a big fish, aina?")

In Texas we say "put it up" when you put something away; "might coulda done that," "fixin to" (go somewhere/do something) and of course "y'all" for you all...plural possessive is "all y'all's!"
smile.gif

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:
Americans - What the HELL is a po-boy?

Here's a question for our Irish and British Interferencers:

What does "smugging" mean? Cause I'm reading a James Joyce novel, and the characters were talking about some people smugging. What is it?

I have decided I should adopt Australian slang. some dag gave it a burl this arvo. hehehehe.

that's too cool. Far too cool for this world.

feck off
smile.gif

------------------
Love is a very powerful thing. There's nothing more radical than two people loving each other. When I talk about love I'm thinking of an unselfish love. Emotions can be bought and sold just like anything else, but I think real love is about giving and not expecting anything in return...I think that love stands out when set against struggle.
-Bono (on love in 'War')

?*~darkcloud~*?

Originally posted by Discoteque:
Up on Wisconsin, we say, "do you want to come with?" when going somewhere

We say that, too. Not at all unusual around here
biggrin.gif

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Popheart.org

Originally posted by daisybean:
Do you mean sleet like rain mixed with snow, or do you mean something else??

Yeah, rain and snow at the same time. Drizzly.
wink.gif

------------------

Popheart.org

I'm originally from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and here are a few things I say that get laughed at a lot:

"Smucked": When your car gets smashed up in an accident, you'd say that your car got smucked.

"I smell what you're steppin' in": It means you understand what somebody is telling you.

"Digger": A bad fall, usually resulting in skin getting ripped off ("I really took a digger when I fell off my bike").

"Holy Wah!": We utter this when we are amazed, surprised, etc.

Anybody else use those words?

------------------
"I'm nearly great, but there's something missing..."

Yep, cigarettes are often called fags here.

I've never heard of smugging though.

In the midlands bread rolls are often called "cobs." I hate that word though, and I never use it because I was brought up down south and no-one used it there.

Then there's "Ay up, me duck" which is also a regional thing. It means "Hello, my dear." The "Up" part is pronounced "oop" - local accent. Ugh! I'm so glad I wasn't brought up here.

New England: a "Packy" (pronounced Paaaa-k-eee) is a liquor store

NJ/NY: a "pocketbook" is what the rest of the country calls a purse

Minnesota: childhood game called "Duck, Duck, Grey Duck" (sooo stoopid) instead of "Duck, Duck, Goose"

Some of the slang we have here in Dublin is real funny, and ridiculous LOL!
How's it going there bud? ------ Hello
Feck --------- a nicer way of saying F**k
What's the bleedin story? ----- what's going on?
Go on outta that ------- don't be ridiculous
He or she's a ride ------ a term I've never and will never use, but means that you fancy someone.
yah muppet ----- you fool
Scarlet ------ embarrassed

Well that's all that I can remember for the moment, later!
wink.gif

------------------
"I'm not ill, green is my natural colour"

Originally posted by zonelistener:
Minnesota: childhood game called "Duck, Duck, Grey Duck" (sooo stoopid) instead of "Duck, Duck, Goose"

At least we don't have an accent that no one else can understand! (fine, insert 'Fargo' quote here)

------------------
Come on wisdom tooth, don't fail me now!

The dictionary's defintion of dag is:

A dung-caked lock of wool around the hind quarters of a sheep.

Here's visual proof of this definition:
dag.gif

So if someone was said to "Dress like a dag", what exactly would they be dressed like?

[This message has been edited by JimmyChicken (edited 04-28-2002).]

poboys, i've found, generally always have seafood on them, such as shrimp and oysters like discoteque said.
i think they're generally on a french bread or something, something that's harder than just regular white bread or something.
i like my poboys with catfish on them.

yeah for Newfoundland dialect!!

yes by', where's me moose I cuts him right up and we haves a scoff!

Note: This is extreme, I don't thk my accent is hardly noticable

CANADA: EH?

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

well i think the most famous irish one has to be "craic"!generally used as in "whats the craic?" or "have you any craic?" the couple of times i was in england and said the second one to an english person i got some VERRRRRRY strange looks!

Originally posted by zonelistener:

NJ/NY: a "pocketbook" is what the rest of the country calls a purse
"

They say "pocketbook" in Nashville, too.

When I was in college my roomie, who was from Wisconsin, asked me where the "bubbler" was. I had no idea what she was talking about. She was looking for the drinking fountain.

------------------
Cheers!
Meringue

Back
Top Bottom