Full Grammy list to discuss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharky

New Yorker
In addition to U2, there are some really great nominations this year. What happened? I mean, Franz, The Killers, Coldplay, GORILLAZ? Who abducted the academy and replaced them with cool people? Because whoever it is will be receiving a big fruit basket from me. And maybe a Ferrari.

link to full Grammy list

I was also glad to see Arcade Fire in the mix too. Really wish BRMC's album had gotten more attention though.

As always, the Grammys is my SuperBowl, so can't wait for the show!!

my predictions in the categories where i actually know the artists... (these aren't neccesarily who i think should win, but who i think will win)

song of the year - gold digger, kanye west f/ jamie foxx
album of the year - late registration, kanye west
song of the year - sometimes you can't make it on your own, u2
best new artist - john legend
female pop vocal performance - since u been gone, kelly clarkson
male pop vocal performance - lonely no more, rob thomas
pop performance, duo or group - mr. brightside, the killers
pop colab. w/ vocals - feel good inc., gorillaz f/ de la soul
pop vocal album - love.angel.music.baby - gwen stefani
solo rock vocal performance - devils and dust, bruce springsteen
rock performance by a duo or group w/ vocal - sometimes you can't make it on your own, u2
hard rock performance - doesn't remind me, audioslave
rock song - city of blinding lights, u2
rock album - how to dismantle an atomic bomb, u2
alternative rock album - funeral, arcade fire
female r&b performance - unbreakable, alicia keys
male r&b performance - ordinary people, john legend
rap solo performance - gold digger, kanye west
rap performance, duo or group - don't phunk with my heart :barf:, the black eyed peas
rap/sung colab - numb/encore, jay-z & linkin park
rap song - diamonds from sierra leone, kanye west
rap album - late registration, kanye west
short form music video - feel good inc., gorillaz
long form music video - no direction home (dylan), martin scorsese (although i'm secretly pulling for trapped in the closet :drool: )

I think she'll get the R&B vocal one. That ballad of hers was a huge hit this year.

Song Of The Year is very interesting, with both U2 and Springsteen up for it. I honestly can't decide who would get that one.

I like your list Headache, although I'd love to see U2 pull in an upset or two. :sexywink: But your list seems to me the most logical. However, logic and "voting" - especially at the Grammy awards - rarely come together.

As for Mariah, I think if she does lose to West in most categories, she'll take the female vocal. Clarkson offers competition, but I think Carey will get the nod there.

well well.......is that coldplay and u2 up against each other I see......hmmm.....

Meh...if it was Coldplay vs. U2 for Album or Song Of The Year, I'd think we'd see more hype over it, but not for Best Rock Album. Sometimes that award isn't even presented on-air.

The biggest problem is the new artist category: Where the heck is Arcade Fire?! They nominate Fall Out Boy and Keane, but not Arcade Fire. Pathetic. Arcade Fire should have been up and down the nominations.

U2-wise, I think their best shot by far is best rock album. I think they have a good chance of being beat in all the other categories.

As for the Coldplay issue - their new album got a somewhat lukewarm reception. I doubt it will win anything.

drt4 said:
As for the Coldplay issue - their new album got a somewhat lukewarm reception. I doubt it will win anything.

really? according to chris martin u2 can be beat.

HelloAngel said:
That Fall Out Boy is nominated at all just makes me want to :banghead:

Most of this list is just painfully, shockingly, perversely absurd. How the FUCK is The Woods not even nominated for the Best Alternative Album award????

And, frankly, I find the fact that U2 (and that's not even mentioning Mariah and co....) is nominated for Album of the Year laughable. I mean, I don't have too much against How to Dismantle..., but Jesus Fucking Christ...there were like 27 albums about 27 times better than it released in the last year, you know...?

Well, maybe you don't. It's just my opinion. I definitely think that "Sometimes..." should win its awards, although I can't say that it will. I can't deny that it's one of my favorite U2 songs of all time and that, without a doubt, I think it's one of the best I've heard over the last year.

FUCK THE GRAMMYS, either way. I guess I'll be ignoring them from here on out for the sixth year in a row.

HelloAngel said:
That Fall Out Boy is nominated at all just makes me want to :banghead:

Yes, but remember that it's in the Kiss of Death category so it's ok. I would rather see them win than a great act like Keane that will go on to bigger and better things in the future.

How the hell can Mariah Carey have 8 nominations?

I'm happy Coldplay got shut out of the major categories, though.
And I'm thrilled for Arcade Fire, even though they should have gotten a lot more nominations.

as much as I love U2, i want them to win every category they're in

but I think Kanye will win a heap of awards, and I hope the Gorillaz do too

i never realized until a few years ago 7ust how lame the grammy's really are.

there's some decent bands here, but like others have said, the fact u2 are even nominated for album of the year is absolutely laughable.

better than 'funeral'?

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha [/gorillaz]

i'll be honest and say i would NEVER look to the grammys to find out what good music is.

and as much as i love them, i almost hope the arcade fire doesn't win. it would just prove what a farce the grammys are.

you must be joking!!! i'm not even a republican...but he was a total disgrace that night---he was on national f'ing television ranting on about things he knows nothing about, like he's been known to do(he wasn't even speaking coherently)-did you see Mike Meyers looking at him? It was sooooo inappropriate. They were supposed to be raising money---he tried to turn it into some kind of racial issue. Why?
Do you honestly believe "Bush hates black people"?!?! That's absurd.
Dude's got no class. That is what i'm saying. And.. i hope he wins nothing. That's all.

Last edited:
But...George Bush DOESN'T care about black people, for the most part. So how could you say Kanye didn't know what he was talking about? The response of the Federal government to the emergency in New Orleans was pathetic, and he was calling them on it. If you don't think it was a racial issue, ask yourself how quickly they responsed to "whiter" emergencies like 9/11.

Wonder if Bono agrees that "Bush hates black people"

Yes, i totally agree that the federal response to Katrina was unacceptable--but the blame lies in many places. And to say the entire situation was caused because our president "hates black people" is just laughable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom