Full Grammy list to discuss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
STING2 said:

Did you read Rolling Stone October 2005 interview with BONO, perhaps the largest interview BONO has ever done? In the interview, there is a lengthy page where he rates all the albums going in to some detail. He rated Joshua Tree as the best album followed by Achtung and then HTDAAB and ATYCLB.

The point IS, that Bono says all kinds of shit.
I just showed you what he said previously.
It's only been a year and it's already slipping down his "list".
From 'might just be out best', to already behind JT and Achtung, it's fucking painfully obvious.

When he has even more persepctive, let's see what he says then. He'll have a different answer when he's recording a different album and distanced from the current creative process.

If you shout... said:

I know what you're saying with this stuff and I agree, but it's irrelevant all the same. The stuff I'm talking about wasn't posted in this thread, but in a thread about the best albums of 2005 as members of interference see it.

Here's a fact I'd love for somebody to disprove: Hot Fuss was released in the Spring of 2004.

Therefore, anybody who thinks it's one of the best albums of 2005 is a fucking moron without any sort of informed opinion on the matter. That's what I was trying to say, G.

I CAN prove that somebody who thinks that Hot Fuss is the album of the year is wrong. Because I can prove that he/she doesn't have a fucking time machine.

Good point. Its true many people often forget that that new debut album by that hot new band actually came out over 18 months ago, but at that time radio and MTV would not play it.

I believe songs from HOT FUSS if not HOT FUSS itself was nominated for Grammy's this year, but Grammy criteria states that any album released prior to October 1 2004 would not be eligible for this years Grammy awards.

U2DMfan said:

The point IS, that Bono says all kinds of shit.
I just showed you what he said previously.
It's only been a year and it's already slipping down his "list".
From 'might just be out best', to already behind JT and Achtung, it's fucking painfully obvious.

When he has even more persepctive, let's see what he says then. He'll have a different answer when he's recording a different album and distanced from the current creative process.

You gave one quote from a magazine, the rest were not quotes. The next album may very well be better than the previous two but not as good as Achtung and Joshua Tree, at least in Bono's opinion. If he thinks its a good album but further down the list, he'll choose a different way to praise it rather than a ranking which is what he did with POP.

We're inching ever-closer to being so far off-topic that it hurts my soul...

Bono TWO MONTHS AGO on Dismantle...:

"As an album, the whole isn't greater than the sum of its parts, and it fucking annoys me."

I wasn't saying earlier on that Bono thinks the album sucks. I'm just saying that even he doesn't think it works super well as an album proper. That's all. Thus, I think it's a crock of shit that it's nominated for album of the year.

Especially when better produced, written and performed albums have been released by the truckload as far as I see it. Too bad for Zoomer that, if memory serves, Broken Social Scene wasn't released in time for the cut-off...then he would have something to be REALLY fucking pissed off about.

If you shout... said:

"As an album, the whole isn't greater than the sum of its parts, and it fucking annoys me."

I wasn't saying earlier on that Bono thinks the album sucks. I'm just saying that even he doesn't think it works super well as an album proper. That's all. Thus, I think it's a crock of shit that it's nominated for album of the year.

Especially when better produced, written and performed albums have been released by the truckload as far as I see it. Too bad for Zoomer that, if memory serves, Broken Social Scene wasn't released in time for the cut-off...then he would have something to be REALLY fucking pissed off about.

But in that same review, he still considers it better than U2's entire catalog with the exception of Joshua Tree and Achtung. He also states that it is the best album of songs they have ever done, but it just did not fit together well like Joshua Tree and Achtung did.

STING2 said:

After winning 17 Grammy awards, 10 of them within the last 5 years, why would it be a shock that U2 would get so many nominations this year for an album that has had far more "critical praise" than most other albums released over the past year?

Because I think Bomb was their weakest effort in a long time. I thought the same about ATYCLB, but at least then I understood the emotional attachment to a band who was seen as making a comeback, and 9/11 also catapulted the album back onto the scene a year after the release.

And because I think there are at least 5 better albums that were released in the last year.

Anyway, who cares?

I'm seriously fearful you're gonna break out a resolutions post any moment now.

Grammy voters are very lazy. They don't bother to look beyond the mainstream when making nominations. Even the artists nominated in the "alternative" category usually are fairly well-known to mainstream audiences, like Beck.

I also can think of at least five albums released this year that are better than HTDAAB.

If you shout... said:

yeah, but i know the grammy's are so clueless when it comes to good music that they'd never acknowledge it in the first place.

Zoomerang96 said:

yeah, but i know the grammy's are so clueless when it comes to good music that they'd never acknowledge it in the first place.
i have a feeling that none of the members of bss would even WANT a grammy, thankfully.

I don't know that Bono was "ranking" when he said JT, Achtung, and The Bomb in that RS interview. I was reading it like he was rattling them off chronologically. With the comments he made about JT, it doesn't SEEM like he prefers it to AB.

I think I remember Adam saying AB was the best as well, although he implied everything before it was the work of amateurs.

lmjhitman said:

i have a feeling that none of the members of bss would even WANT a grammy, thankfully.

I actually quite enjoy when bands snub awards shows. :)

lmjhitman said:

Give 'em a few years. They'll either of disappeared up their own asses or be lapping up their adulation, assuming they're still around. History doesn't lie. It always goes one way or the other. So we all should enjoy them now while they're still pure.

indra said:

I actually quite enjoy when bands snub awards shows. :)

And then they grow up.

Let's face it. Awards for art are nebulous at best, but on the other hand it's probably more bizarre to be in the business and not have strong connections and friendships within the business. When those friends and connections are in the mood to bestow honors toward you, what are you supposed to do? Snub them? I don't think so. Hopefully, most would consider that arrogant and/or rude.

how is it that Springsteen is both nomintaed for Best Contemporary Folk Album & Best Rock Song??? :huh:
The Grammys cant even make up their mind

I wonder if he will again say "Ill like to thank fucking nobody" in reference to the Grammys
:happy:

Back
Top Bottom