Fukuoka, Japan Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's only the best song on Unknown Pleasures. :tsk:

Psh! You know more about music than I do. I just fool around creating crap. I came up with this stuff at about 5am in the morning. I enjoy playing it, but I bet anybody who knows anything would say it's dreadful.

The fact that you fool around creating crap makes you a billion times more a musician than me. All I can do is slavishly learn tabs of other people's songs. I don't feel comfortable/familiar enough with the bass or music theory or whatever to step outside that narrow box and just make shit up. And yes, I'm neurotic. I probably told you how I had "creative differences" with that piano teacher at school. :reject:
I don't think I have the sort of brain that comes up with original music out of the blue... I'm creative in other ways. Maybe this is because I suck at maths... :lol:

Ouch, my fingers are starting to hurt. Seems the time in Queensland allowed my fingers to soften. Doesn't help that part of what I came up with features this repeatedly:

B -0h1p0h1/3-0h1p0h1/3-

I swear it sounds like something I've heard before, actually, but I just can't place it.

And now I'm going to eat cereal at midnight. WHAT A LIFE.

That's a lot of h-ing and p-ing.

I dunno if I've ever had cereal at midnight... that's still not as bad as doing the dishes at 3am.

That's a lot of h-ing and p-ing.

I dunno if I've ever had cereal at midnight... that's still not as bad as doing the dishes at 3am.

It is. But hammer-ons and pull-offs are fun.

I've done the dishes at 3am ... after baking muffins at 2am! :laugh:

The fact that you fool around creating crap makes you a billion times more a musician than me. All I can do is slavishly learn tabs of other people's songs. I don't feel comfortable/familiar enough with the bass or music theory or whatever to step outside that narrow box and just make shit up. And yes, I'm neurotic. I probably told you how I had "creative differences" with that piano teacher at school. :reject:
I don't think I have the sort of brain that comes up with original music out of the blue... I'm creative in other ways. Maybe this is because I suck at maths... :lol:

See, I can relate to what U2 have said about how they only create their own music because they aren't good enough to play anybody else's. I have to write my own songs because, as you've witnessed, there's always some stumbling block for me in somebody else's. And it's all basic shit influenced by the most simplistic songs U2 and Joy Division and The Cure ever wrote. I don't know if I'd ever actually record anything I've written because it's just so easy and bad, any hack could come up with it.

See, I can relate to what U2 have said about how they only create their own music because they aren't good enough to play anybody else's. I have to write my own songs because, as you've witnessed, there's always some stumbling block for me in somebody else's. And it's all basic shit influenced by the most simplistic songs U2 and Joy Division and The Cure ever wrote. I don't know if I'd ever actually record anything I've written because it's just so easy and bad, any hack could come up with it.

Actually, there are some REALLY simple Phish songs. :lol:

Man, Ax, when I'm in Minlaton I'm totally eating toast at Midnight. It's the raddest life. Ain't nothing comparing to that.

I have Weet-bix with frozen blueberries and strawberries.

I didn't think university life was going to end up quite like this. I envisaged ... pompous things involving port, libraries, and intellectuals discussing politics.

Actually, there are some REALLY simple Phish songs. :lol:

OK Liam, I take your opinion on guitar seriously, so tell me what you make of this. I hope it appears correctly, or at least decently.

VERSE

E---------------------------------------5p3h5--
B-0h1p0h1/3-0h1p0h1/3----------
G----------------------------------------------------0-

CHORUS

D-0-0-2-2-2-
A-1-1-3-3-3-
E-1-1-0-0-0-

Yes, but was it New Year's Eve/Day??

*competing in lack of life*

I don't know what I did over NYE/D 2007-08, but you can rest assured, it was something pathetic.

Also, you busy tomorrow around lunch? I'm trying to coax myself into going out and doing shopping and things but I need a motivating factor. No cool trains are running either.

OK Liam, I take your opinion on guitar seriously, so tell me what you make of this. I hope it appears correctly, or at least decently.

VERSE

E---------------------------------------5p3h5--
B-0h1p0h1/3-0h1p0h1/3----------
G----------------------------------------------------0-

CHORUS

D-0-0-2-2-2-
A-1-1-3-3-3-
E-1-1-0-0-0-

Well, that gives me no information whatsoever. I could play that as country, pop, reggae, whatever.

I'll give a brief musical analysis, though. Chorus progression is Bb to an implied Fmaj7.

And you take me seriously in some respect?

I gotta say, I don't usually stuff around looking for tabs or playing other people's songs when I get the guitar out. I practice scales and come up with stuff myself, or figure out stuff myself. I suck at playing other people's rock (music).

Well, that gives me no information whatsoever. I could play that as country, pop, reggae, whatever.

I'll give a brief musical analysis, though. Chorus progression is Bb to an implied Fmaj7.

And you take me seriously in some respect?

Well, how am I meant to convey that? I've been kind of experimenting with the pace myself. The verse is probably slow but I'm trying to play the chorus a bit heavier. I don't entirely know myself. I'm just fucking around and seeing if I can come up with anything even faintly worthwhile. I was wondering if the chorus was actual chords or not.

And you know your shit when it comes to guitar, so for better or worse, I do indeed take you seriously.

Well, how am I meant to convey that? I've been kind of experimenting with the pace myself. The verse is probably slow but I'm trying to play the chorus a bit heavier. I don't entirely know myself. I'm just fucking around and seeing if I can come up with anything even faintly worthwhile. I was wondering if the chorus was actual chords or not.

And you know your shit when it comes to guitar, so for better or worse, I do indeed take you seriously.

You could say "calmly" or "rapidly" or "like Robert Smith on drugs circa 1981".

The second chord isn't, but the implied harmony is the Fmaj7, due to the Bb chord beforehand.

I've been learning bluegrass recently. Good fun.

I guess a lot of things seem easy to the person who comes up with it. I dunno if any musician has ever gone "Well, I really like this part I came up with, but I can't record that, it's too easy!" ... Where would U2 and Joy Division and The Cure and their simplistic songs be with that logic?

I have Weet-bix with frozen blueberries and strawberries.

I didn't think university life was going to end up quite like this. I envisaged ... pompous things involving port, libraries, and intellectuals discussing politics.

:lol:
That sounds more like post-grad, although maybe more for your mature-age students...

You could say "calmly" or "rapidly" or "like Robert Smith on drugs circa 1981".

The second chord isn't, but the implied harmony is the Fmaj7, due to the Bb chord beforehand.

I've been learning bluegrass recently. Good fun.

OK, the verse is meant to be sombre and gradually pick up in intensity before shifting to the chorus. I'm thinking of having some palm-muted strumming between the verse and chorus, actually. I'm trying to think of a good Joy Division comparison. Or Cure comparison.

Part of the problem is, I'm not actually playing with the guitar plugged in, due to the godawful noises being created when it goes through the amp. You said it might be ... fret buzz or something?

I don't know what I did over NYE/D 2007-08, but you can rest assured, it was something pathetic.

Also, you busy tomorrow around lunch? I'm trying to coax myself into going out and doing shopping and things but I need a motivating factor. No cool trains are running either.

No plans here.

And boo on the boring trains. :tsk:

*has been wrestling with brown paper packages tied up with... masking tape*

I gotta say, I don't usually stuff around looking for tabs or playing other people's songs when I get the guitar out. I practice scales and come up with stuff myself, or figure out stuff myself. I suck at playing other people's rock (music).

That's probably the way it should be.

OK, the verse is meant to be sombre and gradually pick up in intensity before shifting to the chorus. I'm thinking of having some palm-muted strumming between the verse and chorus, actually. I'm trying to think of a good Joy Division comparison. Or Cure comparison.

Part of the problem is, I'm not actually playing with the guitar plugged in, due to the godawful noises being created when it goes through the amp. You said it might be ... fret buzz or something?

Well. It could be the input socket's fucked, could be fret buzz, could be a shitty axe, could be a lot of things. If I had a screwdriver and the guitar here I'd be able to diagnose it within like, five minutes. But I can't.

I'll play it later, people are sleeping in the living room due to the stifling heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom