From the state of utter confusion, I ask your opinion and advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarityat3am

I Serve Larry's Stick
As many of you lifers here know, I'm now the ripe age of 27. I've recently considered taking up social drinking, but as I've been a non-drinker for my whole life I have no idea how I would go about this and not make an ass of myself in one form or another. I won't go into the reasons of why I'm contemplating this decision as that just complicates the entire issue to a degree I don't want to discuss at this point. Anywho, any suggestions, comments or advice? *waits for everyone to question my mental state*

Well, I assume you'll be drinking amongst friends, so just do a "I'll have what s/he's having" thing and try it out. Or you could start out on the safer side and have something like a Bacardi Silver (or similar malt beverage), or hard cider or something like that.

--Don't drink too fast. You can sip a drink just like you'd sip a Coke or whatever. Don't feel obligated to start "chugging."
--"Beer before liquor, never been sicker": Although this is not true for most people, it's true for enough people that you should NEVER start with beer.
--Don't degrade your lovely drinking habit with nasty beer (e.g. Natural Ice), no matter how cheap it is.
--Don't drink anything you don't like. You'll have to drink it faster to disguise the taste, which means you'll probably drink more, and be a much messier and pissed-off drunk.
--Don't drink on school/work nights too much (coming from a slightly-hung-over Interlander on this lovely Wednesday morning).
--Even though you said "social drinker," don't drink alone. Or at least, don't get drunk alone.
--And don't be ashamed of "girly drinks"! They taste good!
--Personal advice: Tequila shots gave me the worst hangover of my life. I was hungover until dinnertime the next time, and throwing up through the early afternoon.
--Program the number of a cab company into your cell phone so you're never without it, or carry a card for the cab company in your wallet.
--Only drink with people you trust. If the bar/party you're at looks a little shady, maybe have one wee drink and drink it very slowly. And of course, NEVER accept a drink at aparty from someone you don't know. (I know you're 27 and not likely to go to very many drinking parties like college kids, but still, it's a good thing to put out there).
--And on a more fun note: Adopt at least one little-known drink and make it your own. Memorize the ingredients and see if you can stump a bartender. :) Or better yet, invent your own (mine is called the Tippled Abby).

I hope that helps you out. :)

Well, if you don't want to make a fool of yourself, stick to one or two drinks at most and avoid shots of anything.

Melon

I agree with the shots

innocent looking things, aren't they?

I understand what you mean. I'm 22, but I still don't drink much, and I've only ordered at a bar a couple of times for fear of looking like a complete idiot (I only order cider or vodka and Diet Coke). I'd go with what Dieman said and drink alcopops or order what your friends are having (or make someone else order for you like I do ;) ).

The best tequila won't give you a bad hangover.

Always remember boys and girls, 100 PER CENT AGAVE! If the label don't say it, the drink is probably shite.

:crack: shots :crack:

-say no to jager
-like what was mentioned before say no to: natty light, PBR, Shaffer, keystone or any cheap water down beer. :barf:
-drink in moderation, if you feel your hands and teeth go numb,stop drinking
- DON'T DRIVE DRUNK NO MATTER HOW SOBER YOU THINK YOU ARE!
- if you start to say "I LOVE YOU" over and over and start handing out kisses to everyone around , it is time to put the drinks down and to pass out. :shifty:
- don't mix your drinks. i know if i start drinking beer and switch to liquor or wine a nasty hangover waits for me in the morning.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
- if you start to say "I LOVE YOU" over and over and start handing out kisses to everyone around , it is time to put the drinks down and to pass out. :shifty:

I sense a good story or two here.

fwiw, know the strength of what you choose to start with. Dont mix until you've become somewhat learned on different types.
Hard liquor like spirits are a quicker way to drunk in many people. Once you feel the warm fuzzy feeling, hold back for half an hour or so. Pace yourself and alternate with water or a soft drink.
Aerated drinks are known to have a quicker effect on people. While the premixed drinks are a good nice tasting place to start, to an unseasoned drinker, they may get you drunk quicker than you had hoped, or drunk full stop which might not be your intention as a social drinker. Beer I guess is the same as this, I dont drink a lot of beer so cant say for sure.
Cocktails are again a good place to start so you can get a feel for what types of alcohol you might like. But they do sometimes contain more than one alcoholic drink in them and can affect you before you realise. Mixing is also something not good in the one drink, same as alternating between say beer and scotch and coke. Its not usually good!
If your body is not familiar with alcohol, take it nice and slow. After 3 drinks you may still not feel like you have been affected by it, but if you're sitting, stand up and you might find out its affected you more than you thought. Also, after the first 3 for example, it might be the 4th that tips you over from being happily relaxed to the next state which is halfway drunk. Drinking one drink to everyone else's 2 drinks is not a bad thing. You'll still be 'having a few' and no one really counts your drinks anyway, unless its your shout and you may not be ready for a refill. Shout anyway, no one cares when someone else is paying!
Moderation is the best advice you can ever get. There's never a need to hurry a good drink!

nbcrusader said:
If you have gone this long as a non-drinker, you may consider staying the course....

I respect your desire not to discuss why you are thinking about doing this, but I respectfully say, if it's because of pressure from another person (or persons), don't do it.

And I don't think there's anything wrong w/ your mental state clarity-in fact, the fact that you put so much thought into this..in my mind indicates that your mental state is just fine :)

"...you need to know the horrible effects of alcohol before you are able to enjoy it..."

-ouizy

I think you should read Paxetaurororororoa's first post and do everything on that list (especially the tequila shots) (except for the drunk driving), get really sick, then drink in moderation.

social drinking - what's the point.

yes to tequila
yes to jaeger
no to all malt beverages...

Yeah, I forgot, in all seriousness, that you should get really wasted at least once. I'm not kidding. You need to know how horrible it feels to drink too much so you can understand the nice feelings of just a couple of drinks. I suggest that you do this at home, in the company of a few good friends whom you trust, on a weekend night.

that was funny.

I like to role play.

Right before every Jaeger shot I have ever taken I pretend to be sick and I need this stuff (a la Robotussin) to make me better.

It usually makes me better.

paxetaurora said:
No, drinking can be fun. But in moderation, just like anything else.

true!!

and some advice:

*dont drink Guiness[sp?] fast, I did that on accident my first time trying it and it tasted nasty!!
*Try Baileys Irish Cream-really good for when you are at home and you cant sleep(doesnt get you drunk) it just calms you at least it does for me
*stay away from shots(unless you have a chaser ie Sprite or Coke to help you with)
*when in public place never lose sight of your drink, unless you are with friends you can absolutely trust!!!

btw I never drink to get drunk, I just drink a little bit when I drink bc I cant stand to get drunk!!

I hope your abstinence will give you mysterious powers of EXTREME tolerance and never getting a hangover, as it did for me.

:hug:mysterious drinking powers:hug:

I wouldn't, you just might be one of the millions who's lives are ruined by it. It's not your choice, it's a matter of chemistry. I wouldn't wish that hell on anyone- I barely lived through it.

Back
Top Bottom