French music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aledavid

The Fly
Hello Salut Hola

I want to listen some french music but I don't wich groups are goods. Could someone recommend me good groups and songs?

Thanks Merci Gracias

hmm

what type of French music exactly?

jazz? pop? of which era?

for jazz I recommend this group called Paris Combo

for 60s pop/rock I dig Jacques Dutronc, Francoise Hardy, people like that

80s/early 90s I highly recommend the rock group Noir Desir. My favourite song of theirs is a collaboration with Manu Chao called 'Le Vent Nous Portera', which is a very good tune.

I'm not too familiar with the modern stuff, but there's this great recent single by this (Parisian?) band called Kyo titled 'Derniere Danse' which is really good.

yertle-the-turtle said:

80s/early 90s I highly recommend the rock group Noir Desir. My favourite song of theirs is a collaboration with Manu Chao called 'Le Vent Nous Portera', which is a very good tune.

I must say, that is a great tune....

Where on This Earth is Yann Tiersen from? The words where in French

As Yertle has already mentioned, KYO - :up: I also love the Noir désir & Manu Chao song.

French hip-hop :heart: - MC Solaar (I really like La belle et le bad boy) & IAM.

Last edited:
Not a French band, but 'Bonnie and Clyde' by Luna is in French. Quite good too :up:

Also, you may like to hear 'Protege Moi' by Placebo (also not a French band, but the song is in French). It did quite well as a single in France from what I understand.

There is also a French version of 'Burger Queen' by Placebo. I need to get my hands on it.

I like Joe Dassin, as well as Manu Chao (but his stuff is definitely in languages in addition to French, mostly Spanish and English).

Deep Forest are French, but their music comes in a wide, and I do mean wide, variety of languages.

He was Belgian, as was Jacques Brel.

Another very good artiste I highly recommend is Keren Ann Zeidel, or just Keren Ann as she calls herself. Nice, fluffy, jazz-inflected pop tunes. She's actually Israeli-Dutch (or something like that) but she sings in French, although she has an English album out.

Back
Top Bottom