Frats / Sororities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was a Kappa Delta for three years. Loved it at first great comraderie, fun parties, lolunteering opportunities, help with school, etc. Then they started charging me for missing rush practices ( I was headlining the college's major musical). Somehow, they thought that although I could memorize and sing lead in 24 out of 30 musical numbers but I couldn't learn the part of Lola the Rushee. After two years of arguing fees, I deactivated. If you find a group you click with- go for it. It's a great way to meet people and do good work.

Yep, I am a member of Alpha Sigma Phi. Although I graduated a few years ago, I still volunteer for my national headquarters (I actually worked for them for a year), and a large majority of my friends are guys I have met through the fraternity.

Definately worth it. Service fraternities and sororities have a bit more focus that general greek organizations, which I think is a good think for the most part. However, make sure they include both work and play (and I don't define play as the stupid behavior displayed by many of my fellow greeks).

greek is HUGE here

it's rush week here in south dakota too. my roommate is going out for it, but it's not really my style, so i'm not. but if that's what you want, then go for it!

and good luck on getting a good bid!

My roommate is rushing. I hope she moves into the house next semester, cause I have the bitch.

I am not rushing. I got no $$$

Well...it's not really a fraternity or sorority, but I'm a member of Phi Theta Kappa (the national honor society for 2-year schools).

When I was at a different school, I was friends with a lot of frat guys and a few sorority girls...they were a blast!

Oh. My current honey was a Pi Kappa Alpha (Pike) and continues to be the Alumni Advisor for the chapter at our alma mater. It's been 15 years and he's not sick of frat life. I have to snicker at him for that. However, if he hadn't have come to Palm Springs for the International Pike Convention, I wouldn't be falling in love right now.:heart:

The Greek system is HUGE at my school, and I would never in a million years join a sorority!!! (The service and honors frats are fine, though! :) ) Anyway, I have a friend who used to be in Alpha Phi here, and she has tons of horror stories. My school's system seems to be way worse than most others. I have a very good friend in Sigma Kappa at a different school, and she's having a great time. It really depends on a school, I guess. But man oh man, some of the frats and sororities here are really horrible- the tales I could tell! (And I've heard all them from people who either were in the system or used to be, so they're true.)

I was in a sorority, but I went to a really small college...I think the greek system is vastly different at a small school, as opposed to a big university. A huge percentage of the school was greek, mainly because it was one of the only things to do, not living in a big college town or anything. Anyway, whether you go to a big school or a small one, I think it can be a good for sure. :) Just try to meet the people in the different organizations, and don't be afraid to quit if it's not what you are looking for. I also think the service one would be good. :up:

Correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm not actually rushing...

Rushing is a period where you get to better know the various Greek groups, so that you can make a choice about which one you want to belong to. Once you've picked one, the next step is called pledging. But rush comes first.

I was in one and I really enjoyed it. I even got to serve as chapter president my senior year, which was an honor. Do what you like.

~U2Alabama

i have no idea about any of this stuff and now im curious.
Khanada, what do u mean u werent cool enough?
Sounds like high school crap.
Educate the Aussie please.

<--these kinds of girls...and iris

yo 'manda

sororities are for the cute, popular girls. if you don't "mesh" well with lots of girls.

it's a mystery to me.

you can't be serious
you are joking, right?
universities are supposed to places of intelligence and higher learning.

they're good for networking people and whatnot.

but lotsa drinking.

lest you are in a "dry" frat/sorority :rolleyes: (just like how my campus is dry *drinks liquor*)

I considered rushing when I was a freshman... but the school I went to was in the city and HUGE. The sororities were everywhere trying to get you to rush, overbearing to say the least, so I was kind of turned off to say the least. I have no regrets though.

Re: <--these kinds of girls...and iris

Lilly said:
sororities are for the cute, popular girls. if you don't "mesh" well with lots of girls.

it's a mystery to me.

but lotsa drinking.

Stereotyping always works wonders in communities.

I agree that it depends on the school. At U of Georgia, I had some friends who were in a sorority and their activities all sounded fun and worthwhile. At the U of Oklahoma, however, the frat and sorority people really try to set themselves apart from the rest of the students. There is a clear line between who's in one and who's not, and there is a lot of hatred on both sides. I've also heard the horror stories from people who were greek, boys and girls, and I dated a guy who was hardcore Alpha Sigma Phi. Dating him, I learned way more than I ever wanted to about frat life. Pretty unsavory, bad for your grades, and priorities in the wrong place.

I know they try to do lots of good volunteer work, but I attended a Heart Association Walk for my company, and there were several greek organizations there. They were all gone from the walk about five minutes after it started (it lasted about an hour). Just came to get their participation points. I laughed my ass off when the student paper ran a story about the frats and sororities "participating" in the walk. At OU, I would say that greek life is definitely not for me. GDI all the way, to this day!

I am an Alpha Gamma Delta girl until the day I die. :)heart: in e pi)
I loved my house. I made so many good friends and it opened a lot of doors to me that I didn't even know were there. My school has the largest greek population in the country. Just to point this out, sorority women consistantly have a higher GPA than the all womens average.
My younger sister joined my house when she came to school and I cried the day she took her bid. I never held an office but she was vp recruitment and on exec council. She was in charge of rush. I have to recommend rushing because you shouldn't judge something if you've never tried it. :heart: :heart: :heart:

WildHoneyAlways said:
I have to recommend rushing because you shouldn't judge something if you've never tried it. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Just to add to what I said earlier, I considered joining a sorority while I was at OU. A few of my friends in the dorms were in the same one, Alpha Gamma Delta actually, so they invited me to a lot of their functions and to some of the parties. I was eventually given a bid, but I turned it down. At least at my school, the things I experienced with the sorority definitely fit the stereotype. There was a lot of drinking, a lot of catfighting, way too much interest in dating and material things, and quite a struggle for many of the girls grade-wise.

Just another 2 cents. I'm sure each sorority is different, but that was my experience.

There are 2 frats (one unofficial) and one sorority at my school (small school). Some of the frat guys are okay, but the sisters are by and large bitches. (Many of them were my neighbors in freshman year; I am not stereotyping.) The official frat is a service frat, and they actually do seem to do some good (one of the biggest things they do is coordinate the campus blood drives), but God only knows what the "service sorority" actually does.

The unofficial frat throws a lot of huge parties, but at least they don't pretend to be up to anything else. I can respect that.

Back
Top Bottom