Frats / Sororities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: <--these kinds of girls...and iris

popkidu2 said:

Thanks Bama. You said it well.

BTW, if you don't mind saying, what fraternity do you belong to?

Sigma Alpha Epsilon.

I agree that many general oservations can be made when you look at a fraternity or sorority as a group; the members of such organizations often have common interests. The same thing could be said of any organized group, and quite often such observations can be deemed "offensive" by that group.

~U2Alabama

I've told these stories before, but I think they are worth repeating because there are so many stereotypes.

I go to community college now, but my first semester of post-secondary school was at a university (I transferred to save money). My first night there, I went to a frat party at Tau Kappa Epsilon. I didn't know anybody yet, and I found myself off in the corner, feeling like a dork...at one point, I felt so awkward that I used my cell to call home because I missed my parents so much (as people were dancing around me and spilling beer on me). However, one of the Tekes came up to me and introduced himself...and brought me around to introduce me to his brothers. We did a lot of dancing and a lot of drinking...I started having a blast and really getting to know people. However, my roommate had lost her key in her drunken state and wanted to go back to our room, so he walked us back to our room so we didn't have to cross campus alone. After getting back my dorm, I realized I didn't want to stay in, so we left for the frat house again, but campus police had broken it up. We got a ride with one of his friends to a party off-campus. We spent some time there, but then we had no ride back...so we had to walk across town at 3:30 in the morning to get back to campus. Upon our arrival, I realized my key was gone...I couldn't get into the building even, let alone my dorm room. I found out later that my roommate had stolen it, since she lost hers. I started to cry...my first night away from home, and I didn't have anywhere to stay. So he invited me to sleep in his dorm room.

So..........a frat guy has a drunken, confused, freshman girl back in his dorm....what does he do??

He gets me a pillow, situates me on the couch and sits by me until I calm down. Then he goes into his bedroom and closes the door.

He didn't try a damn thing with me. He took care of me that night...and he was my friend for the rest of the semester. The entire fraternity became my friend. At parties, they watched out for me...if other guys were doing shit they shouldn't be doing, the Tekes were there for me. Sure, I drank with them and danced with them...but they took care of me like a little sister and helped me make lots of friends on campus. I'll never forget those guys.

meegannie said:
HEY. BC -- where is the "one time"??? :mad:

;)

Have I lost my touch?!?!??!?!??! :ohmy:

Mayhaps I can redeem myself...

*"One time" quickie*

One time, my friend was dancing on the mantle at a frat party, and she fell off and landed on me. It really sucked because I spilled my beer.

When I first entered college I had the idea that students who pledged sororities and fraternities would be the last people on earth I would want to have anything to do with. I had the idea they were snotty, shallow people who didn't think about anything but partying. The summer between my freshmen and sophomore years I rented a room in a sorority house because I had a summer job on campus and I needed somewhere to stay because the dorms were closed. There were only a few girls staying there at that time because just about all of them were home for the summer. I thought the sorority girls who were there for the summer were kind of airheaded, but to be fair they were pretty nice to me. Then when I was a junior I became friends with this guy in one of my classes. He was super-nice and very smart. I was totally shocked when I found out he belonged to a fraternity because he didn't seem the type at all.

Yep, I guess we are all guilty of stereotyping at one time or another.

Bonochick said:

What's in it for me?

When I'm a rockstar--

whoa your avatar threw me off , I didn't recognize you o_O

um When I'm a rockstar I will thank you in my Grammy speech.

And send you free Tshirts

MonaVox said:

When I'm a rockstar--

whoa your avatar threw me off , I didn't recognize you o_O

um When I'm a rockstar I will thank you in my Grammy speech.

And send you free Tshirts

I used to use this avatar in the chat room I first met John at. :heart: :cute: :D (I'll probably change it back in a few days though...just wanted something different)!

Anyway.....

Well, I'm sold! I'm short on cash though....do you accept partial donations? :kiss:

How much do I hate the Greek system? THIS <-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------MUCH>!!!!

Sure, they're good for networking, but at what price? You pay thousands of dollars a year to make "connections" with people that would otherwise never talk to you.

I always ask Greeks who their "real" friends are. They will say their brothers at the house, and I ask how many close friends they have outside of the Greek system and the answer is almost always next to nil. This is a generalization, but it's more true than not.

Thousands of dollars a year? Mine was about $50 a month.

They are not people whom I would otherwise never talk to either, as I went to a small college and made contact at some point or another with most of the students.

My "real" friends include several friends I have known my entire life, several friends who were in my college fraternity, several friends from college who were in OTHER fraternities and sororities, several friends from college who were not in any fraternity or sorority, and several current neighbors and other friends whom I have met since college.

Dano, you always seem to have a combination of hatred, disdain and prejudice towards select "groups" of people and you like to broadcast it. Why is that?

~U2Alabama

Re: Re: Re: Re: <--these kinds of girls...and iris

Since Shannon kindly included my name in her subject line, I would like to clear something up. I am not against the Greek system at all. I would have rushed at my college, but I did not care for the sororities at my school. It was a little too southern bellish.
I will say that my friends and family have benefited greatly by joining fraternities and sororities. They have made life long friendships that are sincere. I say give it a shot.
:up:

I don't know much about sororities in other countries, but some of the Dutch sororities are filled with the sickest of people.
Only a few weeks ago, members of one of the biggest sororities at my university were denied entrance to lectures and their sorority's susidies (sp?) worth almost ?60.000,- were withdrawn for bad behaviour (and that's putting it mildly).

They were caugh physically and verbally abusing new members (they had to lick their shoes, were told to stand up straight for hours and had poo put in their hair). :angry:

I hope they'll be expelled for life.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

DrTeeth said:
They were caugh physically and verbally abusing new members (they had to lick their shoes, were told to stand up straight for hours and had poo put in their hair). :angry:

:yuck: Eww! Yeah, there have been some hazing incidents at my school for the past couple years: three years ago one frat shot a pledge with a BB gun in a certain, uh, sensistive area. Some pledges also got bleach dumped on them, and it caused burns.

Geez, y'all. Way to make assumptions about all Greeks. Yes, in some places hazing happens, but in others it's a really great way to meet people, get involved in the community and have some fun. Go ahead, ask me how many friends I still have from my sorority... Only a couple. So, somehow I managed a normal social function and came away with tons of friends, the bulk of which were in ANOTHER sorority! Call the Greek Police! One made it out! Quel Horror!

What I'm saying, very sarcastically, is that the Greek system may not be perfect can be a great thing. So stop making people feel bad for wanting to try something new.

My roomie didn't get into her first choice! LMAO. I hate the bitch, so I'm rejoicing in her misery. :D

But :hug: to most people who don't get into their first choice.

Even though I already posted about how much I enjoyed being in a house I'd like to qualify my post. I made the best of the situation I was in. I took as many oppertunities as I was able to and a lot of the time I was rewarded by them.
I made some great friends through my house. Of course there were girls that I didn't like and even some I had problems with. But isn't any group the same way? Moreover, I still have a number of girl friends that were in other houses and friends that had nothing to do with the greek system at all.
The most rewarding relationship that came from my time in agd was the relationship with my younger sister. I really did cry when she accepted her bid. We became friends during our time in college, much more than just sisters.
I know many people have had a bad first impression of Fraterities and Sororities but it's out of line to judge so many people you know nothing about execpt for the fact that they wear letters. Just like any random group of people there are always going to be a few bad ones in the bunch. There was nothing that pissed me off more than when I was judged by my Greek status rather than who I really am. (and hey, I'm not trying to say I'm sweet as sugar but if someone is going to call me "shallow" or a "bitch" I would hope that they would be able to qualify their assesment of me with more than what house I was in):yes:

U2Bama said:
Thousands of dollars a year? Mine was about $50 a month.

They are not people whom I would otherwise never talk to either, as I went to a small college and made contact at some point or another with most of the students.

My "real" friends include several friends I have known my entire life, several friends who were in my college fraternity, several friends from college who were in OTHER fraternities and sororities, several friends from college who were not in any fraternity or sorority, and several current neighbors and other friends whom I have met since college.

Dano, you always seem to have a combination of hatred, disdain and prejudice towards select "groups" of people and you like to broadcast it. Why is that?

~U2Alabama

I think anyone would agree that $50 per month is very low for dues. You have experienced a different form of fraternity life than most are familiar with.

My experience with sororities can be backed up with my sister. She pays much more than $50 per month and like with any organization she's almost required to put addition money into funds that aid the house and national organization. I'd like to know what sorority you belong to?

As for your final line in the email I quoted above: I think the only time I've inflicted hatred when it can be backed up by facts. If a person or group gives me reason to feel hatred I won't hide that feeling because someone like you is sensitive to certain words of disdain.

As for prejudice toward groups: I could legitimize feelings of neutrality all day long. I could feel no animosity toward anything at all if I tried hard enough to quell my opinions. I don't do this, and that's why I sometimes have to speak in generalities to make a point. While there are many. MANY admirable frats and Sororities, the majority and the most popular are caldrons of rich, privileged, upper-middle class net workers, who are lacking in the human spirit. They are taught the capitalist system of "money talks and independents walk", that you are NOBODY unless you belong to their group, or that you're slightly less important if you belong to a different house. If they're going to have prejudice toward the rest of the world, I can definitely form a case exposing their faults and superficial tendencies.

I agree that the dues are just the beginning, especially in a sorority. When I was considering joining, as I said, I went to a lot of their functions. Wardrobe was of the utmost importance and my friends spent a lot of money on their "sorority" clothes. I must honestly say that the money was one of the many reasons that I didn't join. Hanging out with my friend Denise, I could easily see that it wasn't cheap for her to be in the sorority. On top of wardrobe (which does matter because certain events had dress codes), she spent money on dues and countless other miscellaneous things, such as official jewelry she was required to wear, different shirts required to be worn by pledges every Wednesday, and presents she had to buy for "big sis, lil sis," etc. I know they say not to spend it if you don't have it, but that was pretty much unheard of. I would have had to spend several hundred dollars just to bring my wardrobe up to "code." Again, I add the disclaimer that this was my experience, and I understand that all sororities may not be this way.

Last edited:
I usually wore t-shirts & blue jeans, maybe khakis and a polo shirt if we had a "date party."

Danospano - would you agree that some generalizations are "offensive," yet others seem to be cool, and often even encouraged?

~U2Alabama

U2Bama said:
I usually wore t-shirts & blue jeans, maybe khakis and a polo shirt if we had a "date party."

Danospano - would you agree that some generalizations are "offensive," yet others seem to be cool, and often even encouraged?

~U2Alabama

Yes, yes I would. I'm guessing you were offended? Why? Oh, because it's something about YOU personally. Ahh, so if I had made a remark about non-Greeks, you wouldn't have found it offensive? Don't bother answering that, I know what you're going to say..."No not me...blah blah blah".

Lesson of the day: In theory everything is potentially offensive to someone on the planet, so deal with it.

I am a Sigma Chi.

Check out these links!

topheader_logo.gif

http://www.sigmachi.org/discover/topten/rsn10.09.html

http://www.sigmachi.org/resource_assets/692/Chapter Recruitment AD2.swf

Mark

MadelynIris said:

Mark,

I had the pleasure of meeting a Sigma Chi Brother by the name of Ed King. You might have heard of him. He does a wonderful program on ritual.

Wonderful organization.

Bama...SAE huh? You guys have one hell of a HQ building. One of these days I'm going to get myself to Evensville to see it in person.

I've been defending greek life for years. Some people would rather hide behind stereotypes than actually take the chance to see how things really are. And that goes for a lot more than the greek system.

Danospano:

You do not know me well enough to put words in my mouth or know what I was going to say, but here it is: You did not offend me; I laugh at a lot of what you say as it is often entertaining.

PopkidU2:

I have not visited Evansville myself, but I have visited the SAE House at the Mother Mu chapter, the founding chapter at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. In fact, I drove right by it on my way to and from the football game Saturday. My chapter is finishing up on a new house which is to be dedicated within a few weeks. Ours was an old Brady Bunch era house that should have been condemned long ago.

~U2Alabama

Ive never wanted to pay money to have friends and a social hierarchy. That's just my opinion though. They do look like they could be a LOT of fun :)

Back
Top Bottom