For dog lovers Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, the dog we went to looked at just got adopted, so we looked at another....then they had to go and say that he will be the hardest to place b/c he is a German Shepherd, as if I wasn't already sold!

Haha! And I get scoffed on my pet forums b/c I *only* have three cats and one dog, lol. I've always wanted 3 dogs and 5 cats...

LemonMelon said:
Flash is back form the vet. His poor pancreas. :(

But he's well enough to let me take a couple of pics with my new (and incredibly badass) camera:

picture01kw2.jpg

picture00me9.jpg

:cute:

Aww :cute:, I love beagles. If I had a dog, I would get a beagle.

I hope he feels better :hug:

Hey Lies, have you heard that radio commercial for Mackenzie's Dog Center? It says that over 40,000 dogs were 'put down' in Michigan last year. Can that be right?

That's an insane number. If that is right, I would be tempted to adopt a dog - and I really don't like them. 40,000?

I think I have *seen* a commercial for that place....yes....at the movie theater, they now play local ads before the movies.

"According to the American Humane Association, an estimated 9.6 million animals are euthanized in the United States every year." (Wikipedia under "Animal Euthanasia")

So yeah, 40,000 sounds legit.

The criteria for euth all depends on the shelter. The county shelter works with Animal Control, so they are the people that have to take in strays or dogs from abuse cases and whatnot. You can also surrender to them for free. Thus, they have way too many animals coming in and have no choice but to triage and euthanize. The shelter where I volunteer is entirely funded by private donations. It costs $25 to surrender an animal and it's more expensive to adopt ($125 for dogs, $75 for cats, special deals on cats that must go as pairs or elderly dogs). We do not euth for time/space, only euth dogs that fail temperament testing (many strays) or dogs that are so ill and in pain they have no quality of life even when treated. Other shelters are even more desperate and can only give each animal one or two weeks, no matter what their temperament.

My Mom called me tonight and I could hear Samson howling in the background every time the doorbell rang. He has always hated Halloween. Especially that one year my brother tried to dress him up...

And then the next day he's baffled by all the candy wrappers on the street. I miss him so much - but I get to stop in for a couple of days this week on my way to TO!

Aw, Samson! We need more Samson pics up in this thread!

So, we are not getting the rescued German Shepherd. He is too much puppy and too little manners. Kenya is rather annoyed with him (which isn't a huge deal), he barks incessantly, and he chases anything that moves (cats, dogs, a leaf...). We decided it really wouldn't be fair to him. He needs more time and more space, someone with puppy experience.

However, we had sort of mentally prepared ourselves for another dog and sorted it all out financially. So last night we were looking over PetFinder and when we saw this guy we HAD to try to get him!
MI23.9391241-2-x.jpg

MI23.9391241-3-x.jpg

I immediately filled out the rescue application and they already called me this morning and said we will probably be approved very quickly b/c I've adopted a cat from them.

I would guess he is german shepherd/collie or really any combination of herding breeds.

I entered Kenya and I in the rally correction match during the HUGE AKC show here next weekend! Eeek! I'm terrified! We are only "matching" which means we can't qualify for earning titles (it's like exhibiting, as opposed to competing), but still....real course, real judge, real rules...

:ohmy:

Good luck. Sounds like fun. I'd be to chicken to do any of that. It might help to have an obedient dog though....

samralf said:
Good luck. Sounds like fun. I'd be to chicken to do any of that. It might help to have an obedient dog though....

*spits drink on monitor*

You see, it's not a matter of obedience per se, but a matter of convincing the dog she is going to get something REALLY good if she just quickly prances through this series of steps and turns, lol!

Liesje said:
:cute: Aww, he's adorable! Got to be something more than GSD/collie in him I'd think, with those drop ears and thickish muzzle. His facial expression in that top photo is totally collie-like though! How old is he?

There's definitely Collie in there!!

I don't know if Facebook pics will show up, but here's one:

n58015847_36188783_4851.jpg

Liesje said:

*spits drink on monitor*

You see, it's not a matter of obedience per se, but a matter of convincing the dog she is going to get something REALLY good if she just quickly prances through this series of steps and turns, lol!

I just don't see Charlie doing anything fancy like that. Well I take that back. He would be excellent in agility. I tried to teach him at the dog park but he just looked at the A frame and said I don't think so. He's not big on heights but everything else he would be good at. He does like to run.

samralf said:

I just don't see Charlie doing anything fancy like that. Well I take that back. He would be excellent in agility. I tried to teach him at the dog park but he just looked at the A frame and said I don't think so. He's not big on heights but everything else he would be good at. He does like to run.

You should do agility!! Shelties EXCEL!!! When you learn, you learn on a shorter A, teeter, and dog walk so they are not scared (it's really scary for tall dogs that have a high center of gravity). Kenya's a big dog and she is no longer afraid of any obstacles, but we still run her courses on shorter contact obstacles (the A-frame has a wider angle so it's lower).

Teddy was born July 7, 2006 so he's 1. He's what I call a Heinz 57 dog, definitely a mix of more than two breeds. He has a German Shepherd expression, a collie head an ear set, but a Chow Chow tongue (solid purple). He's very tall and leggy.

1834319994_24550284f8.jpg

Got Philk? said:
Well, we got the dog! :D

A weird thing happened to me. The dog approached ME and sat in front of ME!! That hasn't happened in months!

He's in love!! :wink:

Congrats! You make a lovely couple.

Wow, I finally have a dog that...
* barks
* plays with other dogs
* rolls over
* likes belly rubs
* will graciously accept kibble as a training treat

But I'm really glad I already had a dog that...
* knows her name
* comes when called
* knows the boundary of our yard
* sits still while riding in the car
* doesn't try to sit her butt directly on my face

PS. New Dog's name is Coke
1847911931_f5b06a5877.jpg

What a happy looking dog. I love the pics of the two of them playing. They are just the picture of happiness. :)

He is what Kenya really needs. They play ROUGH, it was scary at first. But, it never escalated (they are vocal and snarly, but there's no REAL growling or posturing) and they both have turns being the Chaser and the Chased. He is more erratic; Kenya's movements are quick and precise and she could "herd" him all day long. She will invite him to chase her and then turn on a dime and be on top of his face! Cheeky bitch.

Sometimes I think Zeke needs another dog to play with, but I think that's a bit more than I can handle right now. But I've almost always had at least two dogs at a time and I do think it's better for them. They still get plenty of time with their people when there are other dogs, but dog time is good for them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom