For dog lovers Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm dog-sitting for an 8 year old Malamute this week, a Malamute that won't eat when her humans leave her. I just cooked...for a dog. I don't cook for myself. The dog is getting what I call The Mix - venison stew cuts, a chicken thigh, a can of condensed chicken noodle soup, shredded carrots, shredded cheddar cheese, garlic powder, and possibly an egg and some white rice, if I feel so inclined (which I don't at the moment - it's 90 degrees in this apartment and I just COOKED FOR A DOG). If she doesn't eat this, she's crazy. :shrug:

Liesje said:
I'm dog-sitting for an 8 year old Malamute this week, a Malamute that won't eat when her humans leave her. I just cooked...for a dog. I don't cook for myself. The dog is getting what I call The Mix - venison stew cuts, a chicken thigh, a can of condensed chicken noodle soup, shredded carrots, shredded cheddar cheese, garlic powder, and possibly an egg and some white rice, if I feel so inclined (which I don't at the moment - it's 90 degrees in this apartment and I just COOKED FOR A DOG). If she doesn't eat this, she's crazy. :shrug:

Our Malamute would barely eat when my mum was away. Once when she was in the hospital for quite a while (two weeks I think) he ate just barely enough to keep his system going. When I finally got to bring her home I took the dog with me to pick her up (it was winter so the car wasn't going to get too hot). He was sooooo relieved when he first saw her. One of the very first things he did when he got home was to eat. :)

They told me she gets depressed when their kids aren't around. I don't have any kids, so the best I can do is make her nice toppers or force-feed her nutrical. She has a CGC title, but really needs a refresher in leash manners so I'm hoping if I can tire her out she will eat. She does drink OK.

Yeah, the dog I'm looking after isn't eating normally either. I just change his food every morning, whether he eats it or not. When he's hungry, he'll eat.
I had some Yorkies that I looked after a long time ago and they never ate. The first few times I sat with them and spoon-fed them little portions of their meals. But the next time they came over I gave up. Eventually they got to the point that they were starving and finally ate the food.
Dogs will eat, they aren't going to starve themselves to death because they miss their owners.

PlaTheGreat said:

Dogs will eat, they aren't going to starve themselves to death because they miss their owners.

Heh, you'd be surprised. Phil's dog starved himself for a week and the kennel had to call his parents b/c he was dying. His family has never been able to board him since. I'm sure it has much more to do with an interruption of routine and anxiety in general than missing people.

I would like to work this dog really hard and see if I can get her good and hungry, but I have to take into consideration her age and that she is right now living in a climate that is not good for her. I wouldn't be hungry either if I were her, but not eating will only make it worse and she doesn't understand what's good for her.

With all the dogs I've ever owned we've trained them the same way. You keep them in their crate at all times unless you are holding them, they are eating, or you take them outside. And we take the puppies outside once every 30 minutes while they are awake to make sure they get the message.

My family's owned 3 dogs: a German Shepherd, and then 2 collies.

The middle dog is the only one which was ever placed in a crate. He didn't like it in the beginning, but then loved it and when he was an adult and we removed the crate, he sadly sat in its place.

My Mom then became convinced that a dog can be trained as well without a crate and tried that with Samson when we bought him as a puppy. He is actually much calmer and better behaved and taught to sit and stay in one place without resorting to a crate. When he was a puppy, he basically had free roam of the first floor of the house, and we never had an issue with him. Not a single piece of chewed up furniture or any damage was caused by him. He was simply allowed to go wherever we went. And he turned into your stereotypical Lassie who just follows the owner around everywhere they go (nearly to the point of annoyance).

So my parents are very anti-crate at the moment, as she's convinced that she's done a better job training this dog who was pretty much with them 24/7 when they were home, than with the previous Collie who spent a lot of time in the crate as a puppy. It's an interesting theory, anyway.

My Mom said she felt that if you observe the puppy, you can tell when he needs to go do his business, much like a child, so instead of taking him out on a schedule, like every 30 minutes, she took him when she could see he needed to go. Samson was completely house trained in maybe 5-6 days and has never had an accident since.

anitram said:

My Mom then became convinced that a dog can be trained as well without a crate and tried that with Samson when we bought him as a puppy. He is actually much calmer and better behaved and taught to sit and stay in one place without resorting to a crate. When he was a puppy, he basically had free roam of the first floor of the house, and we never had an issue with him. Not a single piece of chewed up furniture or any damage was caused by him. He was simply allowed to go wherever we went. And he turned into your stereotypical Lassie who just follows the owner around everywhere they go (nearly to the point of annoyance).

I am not anti-crate, but I also agree that the crate is not what house trains the dog. In fact, many trainers and behaviorists will recommend that puppies or a newly adopted dog be tethered to the owner while inside the house. This helps with bonding, helps establish trust, and maintains discipline. It also makes training and establishing boundaries much easier for the owner. When I pick up Chop, I have to almost ignore her (certain dogs just do not respond well to excited/anxious attention), but keep her tethered to me for two weeks.

Crate training is generally recommended for puppies though b/c they are away from their mother and litter at a very young age and the crate will act as their "den". However, you still have to train the dog that the crate is the den, not a place of punishment. There is no harm in crate training any dog, as long as it's done correctly and with the right purpose in mind.

I think one's stance on crate training depends on one's purpose for the crate. To me, a crate is not a punishment, it's not a time-out, it's not an automatic dog-sitter when I'm not around or too lazy to supervise the dog. The crate is a safe, enjoyable place for the dog. If the dog does not go to the crate willingly and does not enjoy it, then crate training didn't work. Crates are really important for dogs with separation anxiety because being left out in the open makes the dog very insecure and nervous. The close quarters of a crate will have a calming effect on the dog, provided it has been properly trained. The dog should be provided with enough exercise and mental stimulation that it willingly spends time in the crate each day. If a dog won't go in the crate and stay with the door open, then it doesn't have the right perception of the crate and needs to be re-trained. A crate is WAY different than a cage or a kennel. Cages and kennels are where dogs are put to keep them away or out of things. Crates are where dogs go when they are ready to rest.

I prefer free-roam dogs, but Chop is and will continue to be crate trained because of travel and special events. Dogs have to be crated (not ex-penned or tethered) at agility events. Also, it's not safe for dogs to ride in a car without being restrained and the crate is safer than a dog seatbelt harness. Since I plan to always take her with me, she needs to be properly crate trained. At our home, the crate will be like her bedroom. The door is open and she can go in/out. There are special treats and toys that she will only get while in the crate (to reinforce the positive experience of the crate).

Flash is being trained without a crate for now (tried that already...he starts panicking and whimpering the second I put him in there). It's just tougher for me because I have to watch him every second. :grumpy:

Thank God that puppies sleep 12-14 hours a day! :happy: Otherwise, I would have no free time at all.

Liesje said:

Heh, you'd be surprised. Phil's dog starved himself for a week and the kennel had to call his parents b/c he was dying. His family has never been able to board him since. I'm sure it has much more to do with an interruption of routine and anxiety in general than missing people.

I would like to work this dog really hard and see if I can get her good and hungry, but I have to take into consideration her age and that she is right now living in a climate that is not good for her. I wouldn't be hungry either if I were her, but not eating will only make it worse and she doesn't understand what's good for her.

Just so you know...my dog didn't eat anything for a week and a half to clarify. :D They tried everything. It seriously would have died if we didn't cut our vacation short.

And the dog we're dog sitting ate its normal food yesterday so all is well. I like this dog. :)

Penny is having a major setback with her diabetes. She's been sluggish at night, walking drunkenly and such. I took her to the vet today and her blood glucose was at 606. That's almost as bad as she had it when she was diagnosed (~730).
Her insulin level was raised and our vet told my mom to "prepare for a diabetic coma" any day now. I'm on pins and needles right now. I can't think about it for too long otherwise I feel so awful about keeping her around. She's not really suffering, I guess she's oblivious to it. I just wish we would can enjoy her for a few more years. She's only eleven.

I hope they can get her back on a proper dosage and she can be right as rain. I don't know how I could cope with her being gone. I grew up with her.

Oh, yeah, this is supposed to be a picture thread. :wink:
cutiepienq4.jpg

I hope Penny is feeling better soon. She's really a beautiful dog, and I know from your posts here and over in your LJ how much she means to you :hug:

anitram said:

My family's owned 3 dogs: a German Shepherd, and then 2 collies.

The middle dog is the only one which was ever placed in a crate. He didn't like it in the beginning, but then loved it and when he was an adult and we removed the crate, he sadly sat in its place.

So my parents are very anti-crate at the moment, as she's convinced that she's done a better job training this dog who was pretty much with them 24/7 when they were home, than with the previous Collie who spent a lot of time in the crate as a puppy. It's an interesting theory, anyway.

My Mom said she felt that if you observe the puppy, you can tell when he needs to go do his business, much like a child, so instead of taking him out on a schedule, like every 30 minutes, she took him when she could see he needed to go. Samson was completely house trained in maybe 5-6 days and has never had an accident since.

I never crate trained my beagle ... which is quite a feat given how stubborn beagles can be.

This is Lady, my beagle, with her doggy "cousin" Woody.
BIGSMALL.jpg

PlaTheGreat said:
Penny is having a major setback with her diabetes. She's been sluggish at night, walking drunkenly and such. I took her to the vet today and her blood glucose was at 606. That's almost as bad as she had it when she was diagnosed (~730).
Her insulin level was raised and our vet told my mom to "prepare for a diabetic coma" any day now. I'm on pins and needles right now. I can't think about it for too long otherwise I feel so awful about keeping her around. She's not really suffering, I guess she's oblivious to it. I just wish we would can enjoy her for a few more years. She's only eleven.

I hope they can get her back on a proper dosage and she can be right as rain. I don't know how I could cope with her being gone. I grew up with her.

Oh, yeah, this is supposed to be a picture thread. :wink:
cutiepienq4.jpg

I'm sorry your dog is going to be ok. :hug:

JessicaAnn said:

I never crate trained my beagle ... which is quite a feat given how stubborn beagles can be.

This is Lady, my beagle, with her doggy "cousin" Woody.
BIGSMALL.jpg

I was thinking about getting a little Yorkie for Riley. I don't like leaving him alone.:(

I really think the end of the school year and kids being home for 10 wks. is making me :crazy:

Lady isreally good around other dogs -- I never have any problems when I take her to the off leash dog park. She gets along with bigger dogs better than she does with smaller dogs. However I would never get a second dog because she doesn't like when I pay too much attention to other doggies.

N.J. dog crowned world's ugliest

June 24, 2007
410w.jpg

PETALUMA, Calif. --Elwood, a 2-year-old Chinese Crested and Chihuahua mix, was crowned the world's ugliest dog Friday, a distinction that delighted the New Jersey mutt's owners.

Elwood, dark colored and hairless -- save for a mohawk-like puff of white fur on his head -- is often referred to as "Yoda," or "ET," for his resemblance to those famous science fiction characters.

"I think he's the cutest thing that ever lived," said Elwood's owner, Karen Quigley, a resident of Sewell, New Jersey.

Quigley brought Elwood out to compete for the second year at the annual ugly dog contest at the Marin-Sonoma County Fair. Elwood placed second last year.

Most of the competing canines were also Chinese Crested, a breed that features a mohawk, bug eyes and a long, wagging tongue.

Quigley said she rescued Elwood two years ago. "The breeder was going to euthanize him because she thought he was too ugly to sell," said Quigley.

"So ha ha, now Elwood's all over the Internet and people love him and adore him."

Beyond the regal title of ugliest dog, Elwood also earned a $1,000 reward for his owner.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Most of the competing canines were also Chinese Crested, a breed that features a mohawk, bug eyes and a long, wagging tongue.

More importantly, the breed features a number of common health problems, namely bad teeth/no teeth and skin problems. The issue with breeds like this is that it's genetic abnormalities that give them their unique traits like the powder puff or hairlessness, but breeding for those genetic problems also breeds for the other problems like the teeth and skin.

My mom adopted a new dog today and I went with her to pick her up and fell in love instantly. :love:

From what we know, she's around two, and was a stray. She's a bit on the lean side but I have a feeling she'll be looking as "healthy" as Nikki in no time, lol.

Some pics of Gabbi's first day in her new digs:

148_4879.jpg

148_4889.jpg

148_4893.jpg

Nikki :heart::

148_4887.jpg

149_4901.jpg

I was really trying to get one of them together, but no dice. :lol:

Does anyone have any suggestions on trying to get a dog to eat? We just tried feeding Gabbi and basically had to force feed her a few bites of hamburger mixed with her dog food. Besides that I think she had about 1/4 of a cup earlier today and that's been it. My mom's getting really frustrated. :( The shelter gave her some appetite stimulant tabs but it's been a pain for her to get Gab to swallow them.

Try sprinkling some shredded cheese and adding a tiny bit of garlic powder. Dogs love those things!! When I was dog sitting a dog that wouldn't eat, I made her a mix of cooked venison soaked in a can of chicken noodle soup and then added shredded carrots, shredded cheese, and the pinch of garlic powder. She scarfed this. You can also buy gravy packets or "toppers" from a pet store.

What food was she on and what is she on now?

The first thing I would want to know is why did the shelter think appetite stimulant tabs were called for? Did she have a history of going multiple days without eating anything while there? Was there a known recent medical problem (worms, intestinal surgery, painful dental problem, cancer etc.) that might cause severe digestive problems or pain while eating?

Most of the time, dogs who are "finicky" or tend to go on "hunger strikes" are simply manifesting anxiety or stress (neither of which would be surprising in a dog adjusting to a new home and owners), and it's usually actually a bad idea to get into turning handsprings to coax them to eat--that can set you up for a lifetime of the dog deliberately manipulating you to get whatever food it wants most. Generally the best advice is simply to take the food away if the dog still hasn't touched it after 15-30 minutes, then offer fresh food again at the next scheduled mealtime. It won't harm an otherwise healthy dog to go 4-5 days without eating, and most will give in and simply take what's offered by then. There are some dogs who develop full-blown neurotic "anorexia," but that is very rare.

Unless you have reason to think there's an underlying physical problem, I guess I'd advise against trying too hard to entice with her with foods you don't intend to permanently keep giving her. The gravy packets Lies mentioned probably wouldn't hurt (moisture enhances aroma, which can make ordinary kibble seem more enticing) but they're probably not necessary either.

Anyhow, good luck with it...she's adorable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom