For dog lovers Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. She will do anything for me, but I simply cannot run her out the way another dog can. There are activities she should be doing with people that would tire her out, but b/c of her issues with strange people, we can't do that. She would make an amazing Schutzhund dog, she hits HARD and is very quick and precise, extremely well-bred for drive and work, but she would literally shut down if I sent her off after a huge man with a bite sleeve and he hit her with the agitation stick. Her nerves are shot and by the time we work that confidence back, she'd be too old to be doing that type of work. She also gets really fidgety and twitchy with tons of other people watching her. With Coke, who's such a free spirit and enjoys rough play, she can work out all that drive on him in the privacy of her own yard!

Aw, Coke is such a cutie! :)

We're hoping to get a new dog soon, because Cosmo needs a sister! I just submitted my application to Greyhound Adoption of Ohio...a couple of their dogs on Petfinder have caught my eye (and they're good with cats):

Nancy
OH255.9485965-2-x.jpg

and Lara
OH255.9539812-1-x.jpg

I hope to hear from them soon!

A few recent pictures of the Cos:

1719721910_3461693754.jpg

1563482459_2634bd4cc3.jpg

1719721810_b74ac8da07.jpg

I can never make up my mind what mix I think Cosmo is! Do you have any pics from the side with the dog standing? Now Cosmo looks like a bi-color German Shepherd x black lab. That's a GSD face, just lacking prick ears.

I like Lara, that brindle grey!!

Liesje said:
I can never make up my mind what mix I think Cosmo is! Do you have any pics from the side with the dog standing? Now Cosmo looks like a bi-color German Shepherd x black lab. That's a GSD face, just lacking prick ears.

I like Lara, that brindle grey!!

Yeah, I really like Lara too!

As for my adorable mutt, who knows. Sometimes he looks rottie to me, sometimes GSD. He's got the size, energy and smarts of a Border Collie, though! These shots are all with "Dad":

1880972073_4c05460bb6.jpg

494052639_c9b372cda4.jpg

494015994_a2d0561156.jpg

Okay, one more ;)

1470878914_4716f83693.jpg

Hmmmm, not quite enough Shepherd angulation in the rear, wrong tail, no deep chest. Ear set is Border Collie though! Border Collies actually come in any color, any coat length, ears prick, semi-erect, or floppy. Expression is sooooo GSD though. Maybe GSD/BC? Lol.

Has anyone ever thought of having one of the doggy DNA tests done to find out just what your mixed breed dog is? Could be a lot of fun.

A DNA test out this summer can tell owners if their mutt's a dachhuahua (dachshund + chihuahua), a Labradoodle (Labrador retriever + poodle), a dorgi (dachshund + corgi) or a pugle (pug + beagle).
As the cost of DNA analysis plummets, the new test is the second to promise owners an answer to the most frequently asked question in the vet's office: "What is my dog?" With up to 50% of all dogs in America mixed breeds, it's a big question, and one that is often impossible to answer just by looking.

"We think it's going to primarily appeal to mixed-breed owners who are just plain curious," says Daisy Okas of the American Kennel Club. "People come up to our booth at shows all the time asking."

The test, called the Wisdom Panel MX Mixed Breed Analysis, requires a blood sample and is done in a veterinarian's office. The results come back in two to three weeks. It's based on DNA samples from 8,000 dogs, covering 134 breeds. Expected to cost about $130, it's a product of Mars Veterinary, a subsidiary of food giant Mars Inc. (Visit www.whatsmydog.com.)

It joins the Canine Heritage Breed Test, a do-it-yourself kit from MMI Genomics. Owners swab the inside of their dog's cheek, then mail it to the company. This test covers 38 breeds, costs $71.95 and takes four to six weeks. (Visit www.metamorphixinc.com.)

FIND MORE STORIES IN: DNA | DNA testing | Cooper | American Kennel Club | Bonnie Beaver | Labradoodle
Genetics are a big deal in the world of purebred animals. The American Kennel Club has long offered DNA testing to confirm parentage — at $40 a test — using a cheek swab. The club keeps a DNA library of over 100,000 dogs on file, allowing breeders to investigate pedigree claims.

Most professionals see the tests as providing a fun fact. "Does it really matter? In reality, no. But some people want to know," says Bonnie Beaver, former president of the American Veterinary Medical Association.

Neither of the commercial tests probably would stand up in court, she said. With numerous cities and counties banning breeds considered dangerous, it's unclear how courts will rule if an owner makes a claim that a dog isn't, for example, a pit bull based on these tests, says Beaver, a professor of Small Animal Medicine at Texas A&M University in College Station.

The tests might help owners and veterinarians watch for breed-specific problems, says Marty Becker, author and veterinarian. For example, corgis, dachshunds and basset hounds are prone to obesity. Boxers tend to get cancer. Golden retrievers have skin problems. Knowing a dog was a certain breed that was at risk would help "prevent rather than treat, which is always preferable," Becker says.

link to article

Wisdom Panel

Canine Heritage Breed Test

People talk about it all the time on the dog board I go to but it sounds like a total waste of money. A few people have submitted their DNA for their purebreds and gotten totally off the wall results. IMO, if a dog is a mix of more than two breeds, it's not helpful to know. I think there are some mutts and combinations of breeds that have their own health problems. I also don't like these test b/c they just encourage the "designer dog" phase. Breeders of designer dogs never do any of the appropriate health tests (a thorough vet check does not a "health test" make, we're talking CERFs, OFAs, PennHIPs, x-rays, tests for certain diseases, etc) and they have no way of proving their dog's conformation/structure b/c they never create an appropriate breed club. Of all the "designer dogs" I've seen, the Alaskan Husky is really the only variety that has any business being bred.

Yeah, I've heard some interesting and some hokey things about the DNA tests. I think I'll just save my money...

Hooray! I finally have an appointment to go to Greyhound Adoption Of Ohio on Monday :D

I had one of the worst experiences of my life yesterday, my dog was attacked in the waiting room at the vet's office by a Rottweiler. The owner was this very small elderly lady who probably weighed 100 lbs if not less (they weighed the dog, the scales are outside the exam rooms) and the dog weighed 104. My mother was in the exam room with our dog and I actually had petted the Rottweiler and it showed no signs of aggression. When we were leaving with our dog I got a little nervous about the Rottweiler so I went to take her out the door and the Rottweiler attacked her and wouldn't let go of her ear. Everyone was just screaming, that's all I remember because I think I went into some sort of shock. Someone who works there somehow managed to get the Rottweiler off. My dog has a few cuts on her ear- amazingly enough that's all, thank God. She is 13 years old and has arthritis and bad legs.

The woman wanted to talk to us afterwards but we were too upset. My mother heard her say that she wanted to kill the dog herself and our vet said she wanted to put him down, which he said was extreme and I wouldn't want that either. I have nothing against that breed, I have met a few and they were nice dogs.

Bottom line is she has no business having a Rott because she isn't even able to maintain physical control over him. People have to get the right breed for them, that is a huge thing for me now more than ever.It was such a traumatic experience, I will never get it out of my head.

This is what I found on Wikipedia

an untrained, poorly trained, or abused Rottweiler can learn to be extremely aggressive and destructive and, if allowed to run at large, may pose a significant physical threat to humans or other animals. They can be strong-willed (bull-headed) and should be trained in a firm, fair, and consistent manner - the owner must be perceived as the leader. If the owner fails to achieve this status the Rottweiler will readily take on the role. However, Rottweilers respond readily to a clear and benevolent leader. Aggression in Rottweilers is associated with poor breeding, poor handling, lack of socialization, natural guarding tendencies, and abuse.

so sorry to hear this mrs springsteen :sad: glad your dog was ok, what a scary experience. :hug:

I found out yesterday that my sister's pug Tyrone is sick. might be something with his liver, he's lost a lot of weight and hasn't eaten much. she told me that the vet said that he might not get better. it was a longer story but that's the jist :sad: I love this dog so much even though he's not mine.

ty2.jpg

ty1.jpg

That's terrible (about the Rott!). Rotts are defensive and reactive dogs. I'm not saying those are inherently negative things, but they CAN be if they are not managed correctly.

Any dog bite incident can be terrifying even if it's not a real attack (generally, if a dog REALLY wants to attack and kill, it will do so right away and there will be blood. Most "attacks" are really corrections or reactivity). I was once walking a shelter dog, a boxer/mastiff mix (so, a pretty BIG dog!). I was taking her back to the shelter and a lady was parked outside the admitting door, presumably turning in a dog. When she opened her car door, she had no control of the dog and it lunged out of the car at at my dog. I had my dog's leash, but I had to give her slack in order to defend herself. She tried to get away, but the other dog kept going for her so eventually she turned on him to defend. The lady just stood there starting to cry while I'm dancing around, trying to get a clear shot at her dog's collar while keeping slack on my dog's leash. The fight didn't last long, but it seemed like eternity. Neither dog was injured, but everyone was shaking from the adrenaline.

When I was bit repeatedly and shaken by one of the shelter dogs, I felt very ill the next day b/c you basically go into shock and/or feel terrible when the adrenaline rush wears off.

Dogs need to be under control at the vet's office. Naturally, dogs will correct another dog's weak nerves or anxious behavior. When I take Kenya to the vet, she wears a special collar that she cannot break or slip out of under any circumstances (most dogs can break or slip out of a regular collar). She is fine at the vet, but I won't take any chances. I've got a large breed dog with a bad reputation and a powerful body. If all else fails, I know *I* can control her. I know where to hold her jaws so she can't bite or use her head. If you can't control your dog, then time for a new dog...

Share? not quite. They each try to take all the toys before the other gets one. Luckily, we have 5 toys and 2 dogs so it usually works out. They both really like the tomato though!

Aww Sis, what a cute shot of Nik! :heart:

Sorry to hear what happened, Mrs. S! So scary. A few months back I was at the vet, and there was a yellow lab there that wanted to eat my dog. I got Cos to lie down calmly next to me, but this dog was going apeshit and its owner was having a hard time keeping a grip on him. And she had the balls to say, "oh, he just wants to play!" Um, no. That was pure aggression, bared teeth and all. After a few minutes the receptionist made her leave and wait outside. At that point I was ready to wait outside myself and I thanked her. If people cannot properly train and exercise their dogs, than they have absolutely no business owning them!

Liesje said:
Share? not quite. They each try to take all the toys before the other gets one. Luckily, we have 5 toys and 2 dogs so it usually works out. They both really like the tomato though!

haha i noticed the tomato was a favorite. i'd get one for bailey but...it isn't pink. he wouldn't care. they look like such an adorable pair. who needs a tv when you have 2 dogs running around?

She has to go back there tonight, she has draining in the eye on the same side as the ear that was chewed. It's either infected or scratched because of that dog, hopefully nothing worse. I am so stressed out and angry.

Yeah, if I were the vet, I'd treat her free of charge, as a smart business practice if nothing else. I'm not entirely sure what the legal liabilities might be there, since the Rottie was (supposedly) under its owner's control and (apparently) not manifestly posing a threat to any other pets at the time when it happened. Shouldn't be too hard for them to identify who the other dog's owner was, though.

Yeah, if the woman did not offer, the vet definitely should cover it. When I was bit at the Humane Society, every other shelter volunteer I talked to said the shelter should pay my fees if I needed medical treatment, since it happened there (and I don't remember waiving anything as far as dog attacks).

What an awful story. We had a run in like that with a dog once when Samson was a puppy and my father honestly wanted to assault the dog's owner. But yeah, if the vet really appreciated the seriousness, I think he'd offer his services for free - I would out of sheer embarrassment.

Lies, the pics look great. None of our dogs ever liked stuffed animal toys like that. My Mom actually refused to buy them because she thought they were gross and things were growing on them so I think maybe because the dogs didn't have them as puppies, they just thought it was weird. I remember buying one for King years ago and he must have thought it was a piece of carpet or furniture or something because he had no interest in chewing on it (although he happily used it to rest his ass on :wink: ).

Liesje said:
I hope the other woman is paying for it? Or the vet b/c it happened at their practice?

She offered to pay all the expenses the day it happened. So we told them last night beforehand that we weren't paying, and the vet tech who made the appointment started saying "well she offered to pay but we don't know.." Aka we don't know if the eye problem was caused by the attack" :| So we told her well she had two perfectly fine eyes before, etc. etc. I was so pissed at being treated that way by that tech and we told them that last night. She has had great care by the vet who owns the place, but they completely renovated the place over the past year and they seem to be more concerned with money and overbooking appointments than ever . I'm not going to be treated like that to pay for their flat screen tv's and fancy slate floors and granite exam tables. They were actually going to make us wait last night for an exam that ended up taking about 15 min. It's so discouraging. I agree that he should offer us some financial compensation- we are going to talk to him if we can, he is so busy. No phone call from him either, usually he does that kind of followup. He is a good guy and a great vet and I understand that it is also a business, but they need to be more sensitive and balance the business with the personal in a better way. Some of the techs are incompetent when it comes to that, to be honest.

She has no damage to her cornea and she has ointment for the eye.

Thanks to everyone who gave me support here, I appreciate it.

anitram said:

Lies, the pics look great. None of our dogs ever liked stuffed animal toys like that. My Mom actually refused to buy them because she thought they were gross and things were growing on them so I think maybe because the dogs didn't have them as puppies, they just thought it was weird. I remember buying one for King years ago and he must have thought it was a piece of carpet or furniture or something because he had no interest in chewing on it (although he happily used it to rest his ass on :wink: ).

They actually ARE pretty gross (always either damp with slobber or crispified with dried slobber). Kenya never played with them, besides fetch and kill in the yard. Now that Coke plays with them, she will chew on them too. Coke plays with them like the cats play with fake mice - he shakes them and then throws his head to toss it himself and then pounces it.

It's highly likely they have no interest b/c they didn't play with them as pups. Kenya's breeder did not teach tug to her pups, and now she has no interest in tug. It's a shame, b/c typically tug is used as a reward and motivator for all sorts of performance training. Kenya has good prey drive and working drive, but she is still learning what tugging is all about. It's important for German Shepherds to have an appropriate outlet for their teeth. The breeder (who specializes in puppy development) has now changed her opinion on tug, but Kenya will have to be "shaped" (we're using operant conditioning to shape tug as we did for retrieving) since she didn't learn it as a puppy. Right now, I have to drag the tug around the house really fast (like a prey animal) to get her to show any interest. She will grip it and tug once or twice. Coke on the other hand, you pick up the tug and you have to physically stop him from jumping and diving at it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom