For Cat Lovers Only XVIII - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ms Snowflake the untouchable.

owlcat.jpg

What a pretty girl! :)

She obviously likes the company though, even if she doesn't actually want to be touched. Someday she might just surprise you and give being patted a go, but even if she never does, I'm sure she likes being around you.

I've pretty much given up. It's been like 7 years. Funny how her sister (Patches) is a complete love and needs to be pet and held but Snowflake just wont come around. I worked on both of them for two years and Patches was the one that broke through. She does like to be around me though I think. She will sleep within 3 feet of me, walk past me, rub on stuff when she sees me coming out, gives me batting eyes... but no touchy.

Phoebe had a great day yesterday - hardly coughed at all after the morning, and even wanted to play a little bit.

Then, naturally, she was coughing a LOT early this morning. :(

Day 3 of pills, so I'll take yesterday as a sign of improvement.

we opened up all of the windows today to let in the fresh air :drool: First time this year that it's been nice enough to do that. Wesley doesn't know where to sit now. He's going from window to window. It's so cute to watch his little nose twitch while he inhales the beautiful spring air. Plus all of the ducks quaking and birds chirping is keeping him quite busy. I love this time of year!

I don't have great video footage of this...yet, but we just got a coffee table with a glass top, and Bowie likes to lay underneath the top. Anyways, yesterday I was grabbing my drink off the table when I heard a little *thunk*. I looked down and saw that Bowie was trying to grab my hands through the glass. I started tapping my fingers on the glass, and he kept pawing at the glass trying to get at it. So then we got his bee toy and put it on the glass and then he started going crazy trying to paw through the glass to get at it.

Then he did the most amazing thing I've ever seen. He pawed at the bee a few times, then got out from under the coffee table, and peered over the top of the glass, assuring himself that the bee was in fact there, then he went back under it and tried to grab it again and failed. After that he sort of just lay there under the glass not doing much...I think I might have drove my cat into an existential crisis.

I didn't hear Phoebe cough once since her little spell early Sunday morning. Fingers crossed she's done with the worst of it!

I'm in a middle of Star Trek: The Next Generation marathon and came across an episode in which Data composes a poem about his cat :lol: This is just the greatest android poetry ever.

Felis catus is your taxonomic nomenclature,
An endothermic quadruped, carnivorous by nature;
Your visual, olfactory, and auditory senses
Contribute to your hunting skills and natural defenses.

I find myself intrigued by your subvocal oscillations,
A singular development of cat communications
That obviates your basic hedonistic predilection
For a rhythmic stroking of your fur to demonstrate affection.

A tail is quite essential for your acrobatic talents;
You would not be so agile if you lacked its counterbalance.
And when not being utilized to aid in locomotion,
It often serves to illustrate the state of your emotion.

O Spot, the complex levels of behavior you display
Connote a fairly well-developed cognitive array.
And though you are not sentient, Spot, and do not comprehend,
I nonetheless consider you a true and valued friend.

:cute: Love Data.

Is there a way to train a cat to sleep in a certain spot? My mom loves Sheldon dearly, but she'd prefer it if he'd sleep with me.

I sympathise. I get all 3 piling up on me.

The 2 brats are getting their tramp stamps soon. A new neighbor has an adorable Russian blue, with 2 nuts still firmly attached :lol: and Meggs is proving quite the tart, even though she's only about 4 months. :tsk:

Is there a way to train a cat to sleep in a certain spot? My mom loves Sheldon dearly, but she'd prefer it if he'd sleep with me.

Unfortunately, I don't this this is will be entirely possible. He will sleep wherever he feels like sleeping !! :wink:

There is one way around it that you can try and it may restrict his movements during the night to a specific part of the house.

Once you're ready for bed, you get him in the room with you and shut the door. Then he might take to sleeping with you in the bed, or on a window ledge or even lounge on the floor or in your closet.

But keep in mind, that you need to need to have his food, water, and Litter accessible through the night also.

I've learned if you try to trap them in somewhere (shut the door) they'll just want to go out lol.

Try bringing toys or treats with you to bed to keep him interested.

I've learned if you try to trap them in somewhere (shut the door) they'll just want to go out lol.

Try bringing toys or treats with you to bed to keep him interested.

You're right about them wanting to get out of the room and sometimes they scratch and claw at the door to get out. But if you're patient, with it, they eventually do come around and accept their fate.

We do this with Keto now. We have an infant in the house now and she does sleep in her own room in the crib but of course, she does wake up crying sometimes in the middle of the night.

We don't want Keto jumping in her crib first of all, and we also don't want him in her room at night when she's sleeping and we're in the next room.

Keto runs to her whenever she is crying or making a loud noise. Its kind of cute to see how concerned he gets but after a while, when you're trying to calm a screaming baby and the cat is literally trying to climb over you to get to the screaming baby, its becomes too much to handle :huh:

So now, Keto stays in our bedroom all night. It took a lot of adjusting on all our parts, but eventually he got used to the change and now he even follows me up the stairs when I'm going to bed, I don't even have to pick him up and bring him in.

And yes, your suggestion is right on, we keep Keto's toys, dry food, Water in the bedroom so he's got pretty much everything he needs

After my kittens started growing up I had to isolate the others from their brother - in my room - (even his Mother) because Jack became so territorial and attacked them unmercifully. They pretty much sleep there all the time now even with the door open.
But cats are not necessairly creatures of habit, they like to explore.
Unless you close the door they are not going to stay in one room all night, exclusively.

I figured the answer was "no". It's fine. Mum is used to sleeping with Sheldon and Sheldon has no plans to ever leave her side. He is the talkingest damn cat I've ever heard. If something is not right in his universe, by God, you're gonna hear about it until it's fixed. He likes to argue, too. I hate to say it, but he wins more often than I do.

I just got back to a little mess in the kitchen. My mom had steaks defrosting on the counter and little Wesley decided to rip open one of the packages. He didn't get to the meat but he did go to town on the foam and plastic wrap. There's a tiny piece of the plastic wrap that I could find which leads me to believe he ate it. :doh: :| There could be missing foam too but I couldn't tell. He hasn't done anything in months like this so I never would have thought to cover them up or put them in the fridge before we left. I hope he's not going to have any issues later on....

Phoebe actually laid down on my stomach and chest this morning, and stayed there for almost 10 minutes. I just about exploded with happiness.

She just had a few coughs, though. BOO. Today was the last day of her antibiotic, and a few days ago she switched to every other day for the steroid. If the cough has truly come back, the vet might tell me to go back to every day.

Boo.

I just got back to a little mess in the kitchen. My mom had steaks defrosting on the counter and little Wesley decided to rip open one of the packages. He didn't get to the meat but he did go to town on the foam and plastic wrap. There's a tiny piece of the plastic wrap that I could find which leads me to believe he ate it. :doh: :| There could be missing foam too but I couldn't tell. He hasn't done anything in months like this so I never would have thought to cover them up or put them in the fridge before we left. I hope he's not going to have any issues later on....

As long as he's eating and using the litter box normally he should be okay. I'll send good thoughts his way :hug:. Wally ate a feather last week and I was concerned, but it turned out to be nothing.

of course the only time Shelley ever comes to sit on my lap is when i'm trying to start a 2500 word essay that was due two days ago

but i forgive her :cute:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom