For Cat Lovers Only XVI - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow how did you catch that one? Poop examination? That is fairly common. All kittens are normally born with worms or some other type of parasite. Antibiotics usually clears it up.

I've never used Revolution personally but its along the same lines as Frontline and Advantage so I think its fine. It just has added protection for heartworm and other parasites I believe.

Zoey all hot and spread eagle. Hooker!

zoeyhotfloor.jpg

zoeyhotfloor2.jpg

i've got a question. back home, as some of you may know, there's a stray cat that's sort of adopted us. he stays outside and we feed him and such. however, he's got a girlfriend it seems, who's also a stray and now by default hangs around the house too. :slant: the problem is she's a total bitch and bats at our cats inside and has also torn some of the screening on our deck. plus, they're both strays, i assume neither is fixed (i know for sure the male isn't)...my parents don't want six kittens to deal with in the middle of summer.

are there any cat deterrents that anyone knows of? obviously nothing mean or anything. thanks. :reject:

i've got a question. back home, as some of you may know, there's a stray cat that's sort of adopted us. he stays outside and we feed him and such. however, he's got a girlfriend it seems, who's also a stray and now by default hangs around the house too. :slant: the problem is she's a total bitch and bats at our cats inside and has also torn some of the screening on our deck. plus, they're both strays, i assume neither is fixed (i know for sure the male isn't)...my parents don't want six kittens to deal with in the middle of summer.

are there any cat deterrents that anyone knows of? obviously nothing mean or anything. thanks. :reject:

Well, this is a harsh step but, cut off the food supply.

As long as you're a source for food they will keep hanging around your house. They've survived as wild cats so far and they certainly know how to get food on their own.

You can also, make loud noises and spray a little bit of water from a bottle to make it unpleasent for them.

This all sounds so mean to have to do to an animal but, you're not harming or abusing them in any way. These are all methods you would use to train your own cats in your home.

Yeah not feeding them.. that would break my heart though :reject: and that doesn't really solve the over population of cats problem because they'll just go make babies somewhere else.

For deterrents they make some but if she only wants the male to hang around and not the female that would be kind of tricky. I know cats hate citrus smell.. she could spray the porch with a citrus spray. There's also a spray you can buy at Petco called Bitter Apple that's supposed to do the same thing.

There are some homemade remedies too
How to Make Homemade Cat Repellent | eHow.com

Then there's this
CatStop® Motion-activated Outdoor Cat Deterrent - Contech Enterprises Inc. but its kind of expensive.

Can she get one of them fixed? (I cant believe how cheap it is where you (she) lives :ohmy: )

spaymemphis: Cost of Services

or..

Low Cost Spay/Neuter Clinics in TN/VA | Pet Overpopulation Needs Our Help

yeah, I agree, there's no easy solution to this issue.

either one can get the cats fixed and that could mean spending some money, but even then it may not stop the stray female from being mean to the house cats or even scratching the screen door.

and cutting off the food supple is kind of mean. I would have to really convince myself that this is for the stray's best interest.

This is a little bit more complicated since only one of the strays is the actual problem. The nice cat is going to get punished for another cat's behavior

This is why its not a good idea to start feeding strays. Once you're emotionally attached, then you're screwed. :sad:

ok, here's a non-solution of sorts... :D

Do nothing about the strays and let things continue and take its own course.

You're going to spend money anyway, maybe fixing the strays or buying some sort of deterrent product.

You might as well save that money and buy yourself a new screen door in a month or two. This way everyone is happy, life continues and you don't have to punish both cats for one cat's attitude.

And you don't have to feel horrible for being mean to a cat.

Everyone wins !!

This is why its not a good idea to start feeding strays. Once you're emotionally attached, then you're screwed. :sad:

But that's how I get my cats!

Every one of mine is a former stray who showed up at my place and decided to stay. Some integrated almost instantly, others took a while. All -- no matter how crazy/weird/mean/etc. -- are loved. :yes:

But then again I'm pretty much of a sucker for cats. :reject:

But that's how I get my cats!

Every one of mine is a former stray who showed up at my place and decided to stay. Some integrated almost instantly, others took a while. All -- no matter how crazy/weird/mean/etc. -- are loved. :yes:

But then again I'm pretty much of a sucker for cats. :reject:

And its a great thing that you're doing. :up::up: You're taking that extra step from just befriending a stray cat to actually giving it a good home and life.

Most people don't do this. They either don't have the space, means, or are in a position where they can take in another cat or two. They take the first step of feeding the stray and then of course the cat is going to become attracted /attached to the location where its getting food without having to work for it.

Hell, If someone gave me free food every day I'd show up on their door step too :wave:

thanks everyone for the advice. :)

my mom hasn't been leaving food out for her but has for the other cat so surely he's leaving some for her. she already told me she didn't have the heart to spray her with water, so i'll suggest the citrus tip. we actually used to have bitter apple spray somewhere around the house so the cats wouldn't climb up on top of the china cabinet and stuff so i'll suggest that as well.

i'll definitely at least suggest spaying/neutering to her too. money's pretty tight atm (of course the water heater had to break now :crack:) but it's not a ton of money and would be a lot cheaper (at the very least) feeding a bunch of kittens.

she already told me she didn't have the heart to spray her with water

I cant do that either. :reject:

i'll definitely at least suggest spaying/neutering to her too. money's pretty tight atm (of course the water heater had to break now :crack:) but it's not a ton of money and would be a lot cheaper (at the very least) feeding a bunch of kittens.

$40 vs. god knows how much for more kittens to be fed and cared for + more cats end up reproducing.

$40 win. :yes:

*eta but I know how it is to be tight and have to prioritize. The feral kittens that we had in our complex we had a cat rescue organization trap and fix them and return them for free (vouchers) because god knows I couldn't afford to fix 6 kittens. Maybe there is an organization like this where your mom lives.

:cute: and :lmao: !

My cats dont care about TV. :(

But they do drag their toys around like that. That feather looks soo long for him. LOL.

That's the first time he's really paid attention to the tv, other than the first day I brought him home. It must have been the dogs running around.

Has anyone who adopted a kitten after a previous pet died felt kinda of sad sometimes? :reject: It's not that I don't like Wally, but some of the feelings of missing Worf seem more intense sometimes now. I thought I had dealt with Worf's passing pretty well, but I've found myself in tears a few times since Wally's been home. I think I'm overtired too and a little overprotective of Wally.

Or I could just be PMSing? :lol:

That's the first time he's really paid attention to the tv, other than the first day I brought him home. It must have been the dogs running around.

Has anyone who adopted a kitten after a previous pet died felt kinda of sad sometimes? :reject: It's not that I don't like Wally, but some of the feelings of missing Worf seem more intense sometimes now. I thought I had dealt with Worf's passing pretty well, but I've found myself in tears a few times since Wally's been home. I think I'm overtired too and a little overprotective of Wally.

Or I could just be PMSing? :lol:

I've had the same feelings with Wesley/Lily even though Lily is still alive and well and I've gotten to visit with her a few times. It's especially strong when he's a little terror in the middle of the night. I spend the rest of the next day thinking about how he's disrupting my life while Lily never would have done the things he has. But I :heart: him more than words :kiss:

Kelly, the video of Wally watching TV is just precious--so attentive! :cute:

I know how y'all feel about the new kitty vs. the previous kitty. We got Callie the day after I picked up Miss Purrl's ashes from the vet. I sometimes felt like I was "betraying" my memories of the 20-1/2 years with Purrl by getting a new cat. But I also felt like Callie helped mend the hole in my heart.

So I think I mentioned before that Saki grinds his teeth when he eats. Well I noticed the other day he had like a lump on the side of his mouth/gum so I made an appt. for Wednesday but today it seems a little bigger and harder, and I'm worried. :sigh: I will have to call tomorrow morning and try to get him in sooner. I dont know if its a tooth problem or gum or something else. It's not red or bleeding. He wont let me open his mouth to look at it though. So now I'm all stressed out.

So I think I mentioned before that Saki grinds his teeth when he eats. Well I noticed the other day he had like a lump on the side of his mouth/gum so I made an appt. for Wednesday but today it seems a little bigger and harder, and I'm worried. :sigh: I will have to call tomorrow morning and try to get him in sooner. I dont know if its a tooth problem or gum or something else. It's not red or bleeding. He wont let me open his mouth to look at it though. So now I'm all stressed out.

:hug:, catmama! Hope you can get him in tomorrow.

:hug::hug::hug: to you and Saki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom