For Cat Lovers Only XII - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
photo-15.jpg

photo-14.jpg

Our new cat, named Bela (Bono, Edge, Larry, Adam). :D

Wayne, she is gorgeous! Look at those feet! :cute:

haha, I prefer the name Bela! cute kittie!

I took Misha to the vet yesterday - she seems okay but is a bit dehydrated. The vet said it will sort itself out. She's purring so loudly these days it wakes me up in the middle of the night :lol: I also got her microchipped lest she escape again but she won't be going outside if I can help it!

We brought the patio furniture in when Tropical Storm Fay was heading our way. The cats loved having all the extra snoozing spots! Jack taking it easy:

2008_0822sanibel817080021.jpg

haha, I prefer the name Bela! cute kittie!

I took Misha to the vet yesterday - she seems okay but is a bit dehydrated. The vet said it will sort itself out. She's purring so loudly these days it wakes me up in the middle of the night :lol: I also got her microchipped lest she escape again but she won't be going outside if I can help it!

All good news! :hug:

Oh wow! I've been kind of avoiding this thread :reject: these past few days because I was afraid of reading bad news, but it's all good news!! Yay!! :yippie:

I'm so happy that Misha is home -- happy and healthy. What a great outcome. I have the biggest smile on my face. :D

And WT -- Bela is adorable!!! She looks very happy. :)

Swandiver -- Very cute pic. Jack certainly does know how to chill out! Seems to be a yellow/orange cat trait. :)

I always laugh at non-cat owners who are appalled to find a cat on a table or counter. Do they think they stay off of these things during the day when you're not there????

I always laugh at non-cat owners who are appalled to find a cat on a table or counter. Do they think they stay off of these things during the day when you're not there????

Re: tables and counters - I've always had a "don't ask, don't tell" policy with my other cats about that. As long as I don't see them up there, it's all good. The kittens are openly flouting that policy. :angry:

I'm one of those non-cat owners and I honestly find this to be really gross. But what I'm wondering is, are cats so untrainable that you can't keep them off? I mean, my dog would LOVE to sit on the couches, but he sits on absolutely no couch in the house and he doesn't climb on them when he's home alone either. It took a couple of tries, but he most definitely learned what his boundaries are....

:lol: how can you be so sure that he isn't sleeping on the couch when you're not there?

cats are too smart to be trained, they're stubborn. Tho mine RACES to her bowl when I say the word food when she's near, that's as far as she's trained.
I really don't know why people find it so gross.. :shrug: cats clean themselves, they're clean animals... yea, you might find a hair here or there, it's just a matter of keeping the counter clean..
I don't have any trouble with dirty stuff here!

Because he's a Collie and unless he's learned to also remove all the hair from the couch as well as the obvious wet stains from his snout, he ain't sitting on there.

I use Clorox wipes to clean my counters and tables. I'm certainly not going to come home from work and reprimand my cats all night about not getting on counters...jeesh....what kind of life would that be?

I love my kitties.

I use Clorox wipes to clean my counters and tables. I'm certainly not going to come home from work and reprimand my cats all night about not getting on counters...jeesh....what kind of life would that be?

I love my kitties.

I don't think it's about that at all.

I was considering getting a cat, so I've been trying to read up on them as much as possible. I have always been a dog owner and I do pride myself on having well-trained and well-behaved dogs. Lies will tell you how important it is to do so and not have animals running wild. And all my dogs have always been extremely happy and loved without climbing on furniture. So I was just wondering whether cats are so entirely different in psychology and trainability that they absolutely can't be taught not to go on the kitchen counter. I honestly don't know, having never tried to train one to stay off.

I love my dogs too, not like giving them free reign of the house indicates some deficiency in that regard....

yeah, cats are pretty clean creatures so keeping them off of counters and tables when ur gone.. yeah right! They are vindictive lil snots too. :lol: but we :heart: them dearly!

So I was just wondering whether cats are so entirely different in psychology and trainability that they absolutely can't be taught not to go on the kitchen counter. I honestly don't know, having never tried to train one to stay off.

In my experience, what you're saying here is true. We had a black lab for 12 years, and training her was a completely different kettle of fish than training cats (our dog was kept off of furniture, too). Not that cats aren't trainable in some respects, but they don't have that whole pack/social mentality that dogs have, and are not as eager for approval. Plus, cats are just so small and agile, and climbing is an instinct for them, so it's kind of unrealistic to expect that they're going to stay off of things completely. I don't really like that they get up on tables and counters (what if they've just walked through their litter box? Ick), and when I see them up there, I make them get down, but on the other hand, I realize they do this, and I'm not going to stand there and police the area 24/7. So, I wipe before I prepare food, or anything. I guess it's a trade-off. :shrug:

Otto doesn't climb on our kitchen counters. Never has. Maybe it's too much weight for him to carry himself/jump to it :lol: . He does on occasion jump on the dining room table, though he may do that with a step up from a chair. He can see out the window that way, or perhaps jump onto the ledge to look out closely. There's also a tablecloth on the table. I :love: my Otto!

Even if they do climb up, they are pretty clean animals like everyone else has been saying. They don't drool or anything... I've had cats during my childhood and my mom was annoyed that one would keep going on the counters but she got used to it as our kitty was real clean! They aren't like dogs in the sense that they have dirty paws. :)

:hmm: Maurice has never in all 8 or 9 years (I can't remember when we got him!) ever jumped onto a counter or table and for that matter even a chair now that I think about it :ohmy: He was an adult cat when we adopted him so I don't know, maybe he was trained previously or he just has no interest in it. (And he can jump, because he eats and sleeps on a counter in the garage which he knows is his area since we set up that counter with his food and bed since the day we brought him home. However now that he's older he needs a step ladder system to help him up)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom