For Cat Lovers Only XI - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very cute arw, cruzila, WHA! :cute:

Sweeeet.

I need about a 1/2 dozen of these. :wink:

VP could probably use a dozen. :lol:

:yes: :crazy:

I've been thinking/wondering about this on occassion for the past 2 -3 years- since I've been really enjoying the dogs i see in my nabe, :happy: and off-handedly reading seasonal articles about hot weather- with often a sub-article on watching out for your dogs inthe summer because they don't have sweat glands/ using their mouth/toungue to cool off.

SO then I thought....:hmm: what ABOUT cats? Since they're so prevelant as pets, too, and certainly there are enough people out there who can't afford the electric bill for a/c at all, or for very limited usage. :(

let's see if you've gotten an answer.

Re. cats and hot weather - we don't have A/C and Michigan does get humid. Last week it was in the 90s already (and we JUST came off freezing temps and frost warnings). I've actually never had AC and two summers ago it was about 110 in our house for two weeks straight. Basically, the cats stay in the basement as much as possible (unfinished, so no help for humans). They aren't active at all (don't really play) and just flop around the house. I feed them a little less, make sure there's always water in the bowl. Sometimes I catch Beckham sitting in the sun on the porch, so they can't be THAT hot!

When I didn't see anything online saying "DANGER! DANGER!" regarding cats, I figured that it wouldn't didn't affect them too badly, and it didn't. Like Lies said, they simply decreased their activity level, lying around a lot more than usual (both upstairs, and downstairs in the A/C), but they didn't seem to show any ill effects from the heat. The first day that the weather broke and it cooled off, they came downstairs and all of them ran maniacally through the house for a good 20 minutes or so, before settling down a bit. :lol:

I was initially a little concerned because our dog, in the last couple of years of her life, was really bothered by heat. In fact, we had to turn the A/C on much earlier for her benefit - she'd pant and look extremely uncomfortable long before the heat became an issue for us.

Okay this is a non cat question. How the hell do I multi quote? I can't figure it out! I check off the multi quote buttons but when I hit reply only the first quote shows up. :angry:

apparently, i'm an idiot.

You click on the multi quote buttons, and then when you go to reply, you have to click on the Post Reply button at the left corner just under the bottom post. It won't work if you click on Post Quick Reply at the bottom of the message box. I did the same thing at first.

Also make sure the page has fully loaded before you start clicking the multi quote buttons. I've had that happen where only one 'took' when I went to reply.

I can't figure it out either. :der:

I'm still working on it too.. but I think I have it. :hyper:
(don't quote me on that) :wink:
edited to say: click the multi quote button as you go along and add remarks in between each one.. before your final reply. I think.

Also make sure the page has fully loaded before you start clicking the multi quote buttons. I've had that happen where only one 'took' when I went to reply.

That's happened to me too. I still forget from time to time.

So to break it down, I clicked on the multi quote button in your post,Cleasai.
then I clicked Quote on Sicy's post.
I put my comments inbetween the two
then clicked Save.
went back and edited to add comments. Then clicked save again.
Then I just clicked edit on these other post.
Then finished with Save. Hope that helps.

Note: I noticed I'm not able to add smilies when in edit mode.
Oh wait if I scroll down I can click on a smilie and cut and paste it.
then click on save. :doh:

and during all that, I chased away a cat that was stalking Lovey. Made her come inside - Jack and Bela both got out and I had to chase them down too.
So I'm still "doing it wrong" with the door and the cats getting out. :reject:

It took me a while to figure out the multi quote thing too. :der:

But the easiest way is to just hit the multi quote button on all the posts you want (just keep collecting them) until you get to the last one you want, on that one hit the quote button on the right and all of them will appear in the reply box. :)

Patches :cute:

patchessun.jpg

I love when their eyes are just slits..

patchescloseup5-08.jpg

Toes :love:

patchesclosetoe.jpg

Thanks. :) She's feeling better after getting into another fight a couple of weeks ago, costing me another $170 at the vet and 2 weeks of antibiotics :sigh: She's so sweet and adorable though, and so affectionate. I just wish I could stop her from getting into trouble.

Thanks. :) She's feeling better after getting into another fight a couple of weeks ago, costing me another $170 at the vet and 2 weeks of antibiotics :sigh: She's so sweet and adorable though, and so affectionate. I just wish I could stop her from getting into trouble.

sorry, if im out of the loop.. is she an outside cat? fights.. oh noes and $170 bucks..ouch...
Did she just get some cuts/scratches? What happened?

She's one of the two feral cats that I've sort of raised.. yeah outside only.
I dont know what happened but she had 3 bite wounds on her 'hock' (back leg) and it was very very bad. She didnt even use her leg for over a week. But she's doing much better now. There's a bastard unfixed male cat that I think picks on her, also I've seen raccoons and even a possum here and she's very defending of her territory (my patio).

Patches is so cute. She reminds me a little bit of Moo. We got her ashes back a few weeks ago. Both the emergency vet and our own vet sent very lovely cards. My dad was very touched. He didn't expect it and you could tell it really meant something to him. He put the cards on the mantel above the fireplace. lol

patchessun.jpg

I love when their eyes are just slits..

patchescloseup5-08.jpg

Toes :love:

patchesclosetoe.jpg

:cute:

Patches is so cute. She reminds me a little bit of Moo. We got her ashes back a few weeks ago. Both the emergency vet and our own vet sent very lovely cards. My dad was very touched. He didn't expect it and you could tell it really meant something to him. He put the cards on the mantel above the fireplace. lol

:hug:

patchessun.jpg

So glad she's doing Okay. You're the (cat) bomb. :love:

How lovely. That was really touching. :heart:

:lol: he totally looks like he's the man!
our cat sometimes sits with her legs in her neck, totally relaxed and when you look at her she's like.. :confused: What?? it's comfy!

Patches is SO pretty! :love: How long have you been taking care of her, Sicy?

:lol: @ Maurice!

Okay, I'm SO pissed off. I just found fleas of a couple of the kittens. :scream: Kitty hasn't been outside since Jan 1st other than to go to the vet, and the kittens haven't ever been outside except their one vet visit over a month ago, at which time, Kitty and the 3 kittens were checked for fleas, and Kitty was also checked when she went in to get fixed. Every time we were told there were no fleas. We haven't been around any other animals lately. Occasionally they hang out by the inside of my front and back doors, but I have a wooden porch at the front, and a deck at my back door, and I doubt that fleas would hang out on them. So, the natural conclusion is, Kitty must have brought them home from the vet's office when she got fixed. :madwife:

Frontline's the best thing to use? And, I can only get that from a vet?

Son of a bitch. :mad:

Frontline's the best thing to use? And, I can only get that from a vet?

Check online. Often you can get much better prices buying from companies that ship it in from other countries, especially if you buy a couple of packs at once. I've saved about a third of the cost by buying online from a place that mails it from Australia or New Zealand (apparently you can buy it OTC there). The shipping is fairly quick too -- at least to here. Sicy mentioned a place she's bought it at a good price a week or so ago...I think it was called PetShed.

I've used Advantage, Frontline and Revolution all with good results.

Thanks Indra. Apparently it's sold OTC here too, but I haven't been able to find any place that sells it so far. The Petsmart that's like 30 minutes away only has a store brand of a spot flea treatment, and from the reviews, it doesn't work very well. The only 24 hr store around here, Walmart, doesn't sell it, and most other stores are close early Sundays.

Is it common for pets to get fleas from their vet's office? Do I have reason to be angry? We were told when we took Kitty in to be fixed that occasionally pets do come in with fleas, and if that were the case and they could spread to Kitty, we'd be charged for a flea treatment. We weren't, though. So now, rather than treat one animal, we have to pay to treat 7. Grrrr.

I like Frontline Plus best for dogs and cats. Someone explained to me how Revolution works, I don't remember the details, but I didn't like it and also I've heard Frontline yields better results.

I get mine from my vet, but they don't rip me off. I've heard the stuff online can be expired, generic, etc. so to be safe I go to the vet. Also when I buy 6 I get the 7th free.

Beckham is in the doghouse this morning! Yesterday I was brushing the dogs outside and noticed Beckham sneak out. I watched him go under a tree and just sniff around, so I figured since I was supervising there was no harm in him do a little exploring. I carried him back inside when I was done. Fast forward to 1:30am. I am asleep and woken up by the sound of a cat yowling. My first thought was that Coke bit a cat. I get up to check and find both dogs and Posh and Marijke all worked up by the yowling. Phil was already outside. I asked him what happened and he said it was my neighbor's cats (allowed to roam at large GRRRR!) getting into a fight right outside our window, but when he checked to make sure it was not Coke biting a cat indoors he could not find Beckham. I didn't know how this could be since I personally carried him inside. We couldn't find him and it was so dark so we went to bed. I got up to look for him this morning and sure enough, he is on the back porch waiting to come in. The only think we can think of is that Phil's dad left after I went to bed and Beckham snuck out behind him. He's not the most careful person with our doors, last time he was over he left both doors wide open and Coke ran away. Now Beckham thinks that b/c he went out once he deserves to be let out! He keeps howling at the door. I was thinking of letting him out with me on his old harness, but not if he thinks he can demand to go out whenever he pleased. The screened porch will have to suffice. He's also getting his collar back on in case he gets out again. No matter how careful we are, whenever people come over they can't seem to just SHUT the door behind them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom