For Cat Lovers Only XI - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its amazing that he is feral and so friendly and letting you hold him and pet him. That's wonderful. I know first hand how hard it is and how long it takes to socialize a feral.

Well, he must have been someones cat at some point. The rescue people told me they don't see a ton of siamese or siamese mix (he's a "lynx point") ferals. Lots of siamese dumped in shelters but they're not really street cats. He was shy when he first came home but he warmed up to me over 3-4 days. They estimate he's around 5-6. I think he was just living with a bunch of feral friends. :) He really likes other cats.

I bought him this pyramid and he loooves it. :love:
pPETS-4662802_alternate1_dt.jpg

His is a maroon paisley pattern though and the hanging mouse is removable.

This is my little kitty, Maggie.
n625735342_2219656_5700.jpg

That's a picture of her when she first came home. That little bump is where she got fixed.

And this is the most recent of me and my buddy.
Photo643.jpg

So cute 88! :cute:

kafrun - your pics always look very dark on my computer. I copied your pic to my graphics progam and lightened it up. Much better & soooooooo :cute:

Is it possible to raise kittens to become feral? Honestly, these kittens are wild. Jack will come sit in my lap sometimes, but Maxie recoils almost everytime I try to pet her. Jack will chew up my hand and wrist almost everytime I try to pet him, lately.
Of course they've never been mistreated in anyway, except maybe Lovey chasing them around and now they've become mean. She doesn't hurt them just plays and doesn't bite or claw them. Is that what it is? They will jump on my bed when I'm trying to sleep and bite and claw my feet and toes to the point I have to get up and put them in the other room. They fight each other all the time also.
I don't know what's going on. I'm having to shut them in the back room to keep from getting clawed to pieces. I don't want it this way.
What am I doing wrong? Or is this a natural phase they go through?

VP your kittens are a couple of weeks older than mine. Do they do these things?

Is it possible to raise kittens to become feral? Honestly, these kittens are wild. Jack will come sit in my lap sometimes, but Maxie recoils almost everytime I try to pet her. Jack will chew up my hand and wrist almost everytime I try to pet him, lately.
Of course they've never been mistreated in anyway, except maybe Lovey chasing them around and now they've become mean. She doesn't hurt them just plays and doesn't bite or claw them. Is that what it is? They will jump on my bed when I'm trying to sleep and bite and claw my feet and toes to the point I have to get up and put them in the other room. They fight each other all the time also.
I don't know what's going on. I'm having to shut them in the back room to keep from getting clawed to pieces. I don't want it this way.
What am I doing wrong? Or is this a natural phase they go through?

VP your kittens are a couple of weeks older than mine. Do they do these things?

It's definitely normal. Actually, I just mentioned to Sarah earlier tonight that ours have gotten much less bite-y in the past week or so.

From what I've read, it's a normal part of socialization for them to fight each other, and to try to bite their people, things, etc. When they fight with each other, they learn how to fight and hunt, but they're also learning the difference between play and aggression. When one of them carries it too far, the other will yelp to let the aggressor know they've gone too far, and if they still persist, the one that's getting beaten up will run away, so the aggressor soon learns not to carry things too far, or they will lose their playmate. Also, when playfighting with their mom or another adult cat, the older cat will quickly and in no uncertain terms let them know when they've gone too far.

As for biting us, some of them did this much more than others. When they were very little and didn't know any better, it really hurt. As they got older and learned that they can hurt with their bites, I've found that they rarely ever bite hard enough to hurt us, they're more like nibbles. But in any case, what we read is that you should never let a kitten bite or nibble you (not even cute, playful nibbling), because then they learn it's okay, and they'll keep doing it into adulthood. Instead, what you should do is tell them "no!" in a stern voice, and if they continue, push them away while telling them no (as opposed to pulling your hand back quickly from a bite - if you do that, then they'll think your hand is something they're hunting, and they'll lunge at it even more aggressively). Like I said, it seems to have worked for us. Between that and them getting older, they rarely do it now. Mind you, there have been *plenty* of times I've gone in to play and snuggle with them, and they've been too rambunctious and bitey, so i just leave them for a while and go back after they've burned off some of their energy. Then they'd go back to being my snuggly babies. :cute:

With the one kitten recoiling, while I've never had that happen exactly, I've definitely noticed that there are vast personality differences between the six of them in terms of how much attention/affection they seem to want. Jack is clingy, he's an attention-whore. :lol: That boy wants to be snuggled 24/7. Zoey is a bundle of energy who can hardly sit still long enough to be snuggled, but when she's tired she'll come to us on her own and curl up in our laps. Abby rarely seeks us out for attention, but if we go and pick her up, she loves it. The kitten that most likes to be left alone is not-so-stripey tabby (aka Dorky kitty - lol). He'll tolerate petting on occasion, but mostly he'd rather play with the other kittens. With yours, I'd keep trying. But if she seems to want to get away, I wouldn't force the issue. It could be just a phase she's going through, and she'll grow out of it. Also, you could try to bribe her with treats - mine LOVE Whiskas Temptations.

ETA - for the clawing, we still have to do their nails weekly, that helps a LOT. But if they still scratch despite that, I'd just do the same thing with them that I've suggested for biting. And make sure that they have a scratching post or something that they are allowed to scratch on. Mine were really bad for scratching for a while, but now they hardly ever extend their claws out with us.

OK I'm still learning some of the new features.. Here goes:

It's funny when they chase after eathother. We have KWF (Kitty Wrestling Federation) on the living room rug pretty much every night.

So do I. :corn:

It's definitely normal.
From what I've read, it's a normal part of socialization for them to fight each other, and to try to bite their people, things, etc. When they fight with each other, they learn how to fight and hunt, but they're also learning the difference between play and aggression. When one of them carries it too far, the other will yelp to let the aggressor know they've gone too far, and if they still persist, the one that's getting beaten up will run away, so the aggressor soon learns not to carry things too far, or they will lose their playmate. Also, when playfighting with their mom or another adult cat, the older cat will quickly and in no uncertain terms let them know when they've gone too far

Bela does this. She steps in all the time. when my Jack is hurting Maxie. He's the aggressor in most cases. But even with a missing paw, Bela can pin him down in a heartbeat. :giggle:[/QUOTE]

Jack is clingy, he's an attention-whore. :lol: .

My Jack is too
I was just hurting from being gored by Maxie. She jumped in the bathtub before all the water had drained and I was trying to help her out and she scratched and clawed me. I just know I'm going to get cat scratch fever.

Interesting stuff, VP! :yes:

good luck with your kitties sue4! :hug:

That's a pretty cool cat tree, liesje!

then again...I beleive there should be Adult-sized playground equipment esp the modern designed stuff! :love: :hyper:

:giggle:

Thanks dazz, everyone. :hug:

Last edited:
I just know I'm going to get cat scratch fever.

:lmao:

Really, it's like raising a child not to be an obnoxious brat. You have to have patience, and be consistent. You have to catch them in the act of doing something immediately, because if they're scolded a few minutes later, they're not going to know what they're being scolded for. You can't feel guilty about occasional scolding either, because it's going to make them be more loving pets in the long run. It's all about the tone of voice you use.

For the past week or so, we've been letting them all out of the kitten room for a few hours at a time several times a day. Before then, we'd only been letting usually one or two out at a time. We've blocked off areas they can't go into, but there's only so much we can block off, so we try to distract them with other things. When this fails, and they don't respond to verbal cues, we've started keeping a squirt bottle nearby for when they do things that are definite no-nos, like trying to bite power cords. It seems to be working, and we really don't have to do it that often. They go back into the room when we're too busy to watch them properly, and at night to sleep.

Which reminds me, I laughed when I read that they go after your feet at night! If I'm on the sofa with a blanket over me, they go after mine, too. It's because they see movement, and their instinct is to pounce. What I do now is take my feet out and show them that what they're pouncing on is actually attached to me. :lol: They've been good so far, they usually stop, then. If I were you, and it's that bothersome (I can totally see why that behaviour wouldn't be appreciated at night!), I'd put them into a different room to sleep.

I remember when we got Otto as a kitty. I had there terry-cloth type slippers, and anytime I wore them, he'd attack them. Something about the slippers! I'd have to take them off and walk barefoot for my own good. He'd chew/claw/drag them away. It was annoying but :cute:

:lmao:

You can't feel guilty about occasional scolding either, because it's going to make them be more loving pets in the long run. It's all about the tone of voice you use.
I think feeling guilty was part of my problem. I've gotten over that :shame:

When this fails, and they don't respond to verbal cues, we've started keeping a squirt bottle nearby for when they do things that are definite no-nos, like trying to bite power cords.

So funny you should mention that. I just started doing that this past weekend because they were having a field day around my computer.
They've almost stopped now. Works well for keeping them off the table too.

Which reminds me, I laughed when I read that they go after your feet at night! If I'm on the sofa with a blanket over me, they go after mine, too. It's because they see movement, and their instinct is to pounce. What I do now is take my feet out and show them that what they're pouncing on is actually attached to me. :lol: They've been good so far, they usually stop, then. If I were you, and it's that bothersome (I can totally see why that behaviour wouldn't be appreciated at night!), I'd put them into a different room to sleep.

Oh it doesn't matter to Jack. Covered or not, feet are a natural prey. :lol:
I can't even scratch where he's scratched me without him attacking my fingers. I know he thinks I'm playing.
All and all I love the hell out of them and seriously can't see me getting rid of either one.
Oh I forgot to mention Lovey turned over my glass on the night stand last night - trying to sneak a sip of my water, and soaked me and the bed.
Never a dull moment. :crazy:

They're adorable, Sue! :cute: Is Jack pure white?

He was at birth and the first month or so/ Then I notice his ears & tail were beginning to turn beige. His tail is white and sort of light orange.
He looks like a bit of siamese got in the blood line down the eras. But other wise he's solid white, pink nose and beautiful blue eyes.

He was at birth and the first month or so/ Then I notice his ears & tail were beginning to turn beige. His tail is white and sort of light orange.
He looks like a bit of siamese got in the blood line down the eras. But other wise he's solid white, pink nose and beautiful blue eyes.

Years ago we had a some of those (three red point kitties and one blue point kitty -- all in different litters) -- mama is a tortoiseshell and daddy is a handsome siamese scoundrel. :wink: Jack is a Red Point. :)

Wikipedia entry w/pics

Yay I finally just caught up with all 12 pages here. So many great and cute pics from everyone, but I especially cracked up at Sicy's and VP's pics on page 1.
Zoey's faces and LSTabby's ears. :lmao:

Years ago we had a some of those (three red point kitties and one blue point kitty -- all in different litters) -- mama is a tortoiseshell and daddy is a handsome siamese scoundrel. :wink: Jack is a Red Point. :)

Wikipedia entry w/pics

Red Point huh. I thought there was something special about him, even though he tried to kill me last night. :yikes: lol
It really was funny - but when it was happening it wasn't. I took some food for Bela that had some antibotics in it because she was spayed yesterday.
I was trying to shoo Jack and Maxie out of the room so they wouldn't eat the food and when I bent over to put the food down, Jack had pushed the door open and ran up my back and jumped off my shoulder.
I still had the plate for Bela in my hand and lost my balance. I fell forward and dropped the food and hit my head on the metal lamp post, and bruised both my knees. The food didn't spill but I had hell keeping Jack away from it while I got up. I have scratches on my back and a sore forehead to go along with it. I locked Jack in the room by himself because I had had enough.
But at least Bela got her medicine. It was all so :crazy:.

Oh and one other thing I wanted to tell VP - THe squirt bottle I was using doesn't work for Jack any longer. He likes it. The little sadist.:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom