For Cat Lovers Only XI - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how to explain the lack of purring and her ignoring your sister, but as for the clawing and biting, do you get the sense that she's doing it aggressively, or that she's playing with you? From what you've described, it sounds more like playing to me, especially given the way you say she's bonded with you. You say she's broken skin, but you don't say if it was from biting or clawing. If it's just minor and from clawing, I'd guess it's more rough play than aggression. When cats give playful bites, it's generally not hard enough to break skin.

What do you do when she does this to you, and what do you do to try to make her stop? One thing to keep in mind to prevent this with cats is that you should never play with them in a way that makes them think your hands or fingers are toys - human hands are only for petting and affection. If she claws or bites, say "NO!" in a sharp, stern voice, and push her away from you. Pushing them away is advised, because if you pull away from her, then the sudden movement could make her attack further. Then, ignore her for a few minutes. That lets her know that if she does that, she loses your attention for a while.

It started at what I thought was playing because she wasn't using her claws. But lately she just hops up on the couch or bed and just attacks in a very nonplayful way. I do what you say about telling her no. She seems to understand 'no' when my sister says it but not what I say it. If she's on furniture I will pick her up and put on on the floor to move her away from me. Last week I was on the couch minding my own business when she used a claw and her teeth on my arm. She knew she was in trouble so she hopped down and ran off to her little area of the living room and tried to hide from me all night. What bothers me the most is that this morning she clawed and bit me a few times while I was sleeping. My sister thinks it's because she was hungry but I don't feed her so I don't know why she would come to me. Plus, my sister's door is open at night for the dog to go in and out so if Lily wants to eat, she knows who to go to. Right now she's in our extra bedroom by herself, which is unusual for her, and doesn't appear to want to come out. That's her afternoon spot. She's normally in my room or on a chair in the living room at night. Something is going on with her the last few days. I wish she could speak! :(

Cat's rock my face. So entertaining and therapeutic. My male cat's name is The Edge. No joke. In fact a year or so ago I create a facebook profile for him one night when I was drunk. You can see pictures of him on there.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=768281317 Lame I know. But I love my cat as much as you guys love yours. :):up:

n768281317_1317.jpg

It started at what I thought was playing because she wasn't using her claws. But lately she just hops up on the couch or bed and just attacks in a very nonplayful way. I do what you say about telling her no. She seems to understand 'no' when my sister says it but not what I say it. If she's on furniture I will pick her up and put on on the floor to move her away from me. Last week I was on the couch minding my own business when she used a claw and her teeth on my arm. She knew she was in trouble so she hopped down and ran off to her little area of the living room and tried to hide from me all night. What bothers me the most is that this morning she clawed and bit me a few times while I was sleeping. My sister thinks it's because she was hungry but I don't feed her so I don't know why she would come to me.

When Will wants me to get up he bites me. Hard. It's like a nasty pinch. If I ignore him he will move to my pillow and pull my hair. Hard. He's good and getting his teeth around my ponytail holder and pulling. The jerk. :angry: Most of the time it has nothing to do with food in his bowl. But I still love the sucker. :cute: Sometimes when I'm reading or watching tv he pulls my hair for no good reason.

Keep watching her, is she eating? using the litter box normally?

Here are two more of The Edge.

n34317753_33106059_2912.jpg

n34317753_33106060_3128.jpg

My roommates' cat Sierra:

n34317753_33106085_9027.jpg

My friends' cat Marty:
n34317753_32909779_9481.jpg

n34317753_33106263_7906.jpg

Same friends' cat Frodo:

n34317753_33106264_8123.jpg

n34317753_32909778_9260.jpg

n34317753_32909782_234.jpg

It started at what I thought was playing because she wasn't using her claws. But lately she just hops up on the couch or bed and just attacks in a very nonplayful way. I do what you say about telling her no. She seems to understand 'no' when my sister says it but not what I say it. If she's on furniture I will pick her up and put on on the floor to move her away from me. Last week I was on the couch minding my own business when she used a claw and her teeth on my arm. She knew she was in trouble so she hopped down and ran off to her little area of the living room and tried to hide from me all night. What bothers me the most is that this morning she clawed and bit me a few times while I was sleeping. My sister thinks it's because she was hungry but I don't feed her so I don't know why she would come to me. Plus, my sister's door is open at night for the dog to go in and out so if Lily wants to eat, she knows who to go to. Right now she's in our extra bedroom by herself, which is unusual for her, and doesn't appear to want to come out. That's her afternoon spot. She's normally in my room or on a chair in the living room at night. Something is going on with her the last few days. I wish she could speak! :(

how old is this cat?
It sounds a bit like she's 'in her terrible two's'.. cats have these periods aswell as humans,.. .just testing their limits a bit
it sounds odd she attacks you in your sleep, that doesn't sound like she's playing at all! Usually cats play when you're playing with them, like, when I start tapping the stairs my cat is lying on, she'll try to grab my hand. Sometimes she does use claws, but never in a mean way..
maybe try avoiding her for a while, maybe it'll pass...

You said your sister was out of town and just got back. Sometimes cats like to "sulk" or act out when their owner's been away.

My sister's cat is going throught the terrible twos right now. He's normally as sweet as can be, but sometimes he just comes up and bites her for no reason lately. She's trying the "no" thing and also using a water gun to spray him when he does it. She's having mixed results.

Our cat used to jump up on us and bite. He was bored and looking for attention. Now we have 2 kittehs he seems much happier :D

don't know if that'll help any

My DD's first cat was *horrible* when he was a kitten. He'd jump up her, grab her arms and scratch, etc. Once she got another kitten, he calmed right down! Could be something to that.

As for the squirt bottle/squirt gun --you can see that my DD ruined that as a "threat" early on:

YouTube - Jack and the Squirt Gun

Lily is 4 or 5, not sure. My sister has had her for almost 4 years....

She's eating fine, using her litter, not throwing up, plays with her favorite mouse and glitter balls, and can be found in her usual lounging spots in the afternoon when I come home from work at about 2:30 each day. The only thing she's doing is attacking me and spending more and more time in her "afternoon spot" by herself at night instead of just hanging out in the living room with us. :huh:

how old is this cat?
It sounds a bit like she's 'in her terrible two's'..

My sister's cat is going throught the terrible twos right now. He's normally as sweet as can be, but sometimes he just comes up and bites her for no reason lately. She's trying the "no" thing and also using a water gun to spray him when he does it. She's having mixed results.

Cats go through this? Wonderful. Six of them at once. :scream:

How old are they when it happens, are they actually two years old?

it sounds odd she attacks you in your sleep, that doesn't sound like she's playing at all!

I would say that it depends on how the "attacks" occur. When Kitty first came in to live with us, if either of us were lying under blankets, and we moved under them, usually our feet, she'd get all hyper-alert and pounce on the movement with her claws out. She obviously thought it was some sort of prey under the blankets, and her instinct was to attack. In the first month, there were a couple of times I woke up with sores on my foot, and I was all "wtf??" But then I realized she must have been doing it while I was sleeping, and I either she didn't wake me up, or I went right back to sleep and forgot about it till I saw them the next day. :lol: I just started telling her no, and then I'd take my feet out from under the blankets to show her that my feet are actually attached to me. :lol: It worked - she stopped doing it soon after.

If a cat is biting some part of you that's not under the blankets, I'd say that it's trying to get your attention/wake you.

The thing with cats, they can be fierce, and if they really wanted to hurt you, they easily could. That's why I think in arw's case, it's more of a rough play scenario. The way the cat has bonded with her so closely, it almost makes me think that the cat sees her as a peer, almost like another cat, and this is her way of trying to play. My guys can get quite rough with each other, at times, and yet they're always affectionate toward each other. It's just the way cats roll.

Of course, I could be totally wrong, and there's something else upsetting arw's Lily. I'm just tossing out ideas. :)

I'd say if the kitty is spending more time alone, "leave her be." That's what we've had to do with Jack-the-most-opinionated-cat-in-the-world. My DD wants to pick him up and he doesn't want to be picked up. I leave him alone until he wants attention. And only give attention up to the time he's had enough.

Sometimes they just want to go off by themselves. Maybe just let her do her thing, not try to cajole her and see if that helps?

My DD's first cat was *horrible* when he was a kitten. He'd jump up her, grab her arms and scratch, etc. Once she got another kitten, he calmed right down! Could be something to that.

As for the squirt bottle/squirt gun --you can see that my DD ruined that as a "threat" early on:

YouTube - Jack and the Squirt Gun

Smokey looks like he's thinking, "Where's mine???" :lol:

Some recent pictures of our furkids (both of them know that when they hear that preliminary "click" from the camera, a bright light might follow, so it's difficult to get a full-face shot of them):

Callie enjoying "cat TV" out the window:

Callie080808.jpg

Fergus and his favorite toy, FatCat:

Fergus072608.jpg

Callie and the "double tuck" (it's a bit blurry because I didn't use the flash):

Callie080808-3.jpg

Cats go through this? Wonderful. Six of them at once. :scream:

How old are they when it happens, are they actually two years old?

I would say that it depends on how the "attacks" occur. When Kitty first came in to live with us, if either of us were lying under blankets, and we moved under them, usually our feet, she'd get all hyper-alert and pounce on the movement with her claws out. She obviously thought it was some sort of prey under the blankets, and her instinct was to attack. In the first month, there were a couple of times I woke up with sores on my foot, and I was all "wtf??" But then I realized she must have been doing it while I was sleeping, and I either she didn't wake me up, or I went right back to sleep and forgot about it till I saw them the next day. :lol: I just started telling her no, and then I'd take my feet out from under the blankets to show her that my feet are actually attached to me. :lol: It worked - she stopped doing it soon after.

If a cat is biting some part of you that's not under the blankets, I'd say that it's trying to get your attention/wake you.

The thing with cats, they can be fierce, and if they really wanted to hurt you, they easily could. That's why I think in arw's case, it's more of a rough play scenario. The way the cat has bonded with her so closely, it almost makes me think that the cat sees her as a peer, almost like another cat, and this is her way of trying to play. My guys can get quite rough with each other, at times, and yet they're always affectionate toward each other. It's just the way cats roll.

Of course, I could be totally wrong, and there's something else upsetting arw's Lily. I'm just tossing out ideas. :)

I'm not sure at what age it happens actually..

and you're right... when Miep was young she used to bite my dads toes(YUCK!) because his feet stuck out from under the blanket :giggle: it was just something that moved I guess..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom