For Cat Lovers Only VII - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As Easter is approaching I just wanted to remind all the cat owners that Easter Lillies are EXTREMELY toxic to cats.

2 years ago my friend and I had to rush her cat to emergency after he chewed some leaves off her Easter Lilly and had vomited a few times. He had to have a charcoal flush and subq fluids. Thankfully he is fine now. I also remember that bonosloveslaves kitty ate part of an Easter Lilly too and had an even worse time of it, so PLEASE no Easter Lillies in the house :)

Easter Lilies

Holly Nash, DVM, MS
Veterinary Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith, Inc.

Illustration of Easter lilyEaster lilies, and other lilies can be toxic to cats, causing kidney failure and death. All parts of the lily can be toxic, and eating just one leaf can result in severe poisoning. After eating a portion of an Easter lily, a cat will generally vomit and become depressed within 2 hours. The vomiting may subside, but the cat will not eat and continue to become more depressed.

Contact your veterinarian immediately if you know or suspect your cat has eaten any part of an Easter lily. Treatment includes causing the cat to vomit by giving an emetic, administering activated charcoal and a cathartic (stimulates bowel movements), and giving subcutaenous or intravenous fluids. A cat must be treated within 18 hours of ingesting the plant, or the damage to the kidneys will be irreversible.

Other lilies which belong to this same plant species and are also toxic include tiger lilies, rubrum or Japanese showy lilies, and various day lilies. Many other bulb plants are also poisonous such as daffodils and hyacinths.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1418&articleid=837

Is it advisable or recommended to bathe your kitty? Someone was commenting on Max, saying his fur isn't as clean as it should be, and that he needs a bath with baby shampoo. When I was first heard him say it I was surprised, as I hadn't heard of cats being bathed. Also, Maxxy hates water more than the average kitty. I'm wondering if we ever do decide to bathe him, would it be ok? I know he'd be uncomfy but... would he get over it or is it just not advisable?

In my opinion cats do not need to be bathed unless absolutely necessary, i.e. they get into something gross, nasty, etc or usually show cats get bathed or kittens that have fleas, etc. But to me Max looks fine from the pics. I have never bathed a cat in my life :shrug:

Thanks for posting that reminder Sicy - yep it was an Easter Lily that Iris got into...

If you all have not heard yet, a food was added to the recall list today, it is a prescription food that is made by Hills called m/d - it is only the dry formula that is affected. If your cat is eating this, do not feed any more regardless of the lot#. We are recommending that all our patients that are eating this have baseline checks of urine and kidney values.

I've had Iris for 8.5 years and she has had 1 official bath during that time. If they don't care much about grooming themselves they may need help periooically with a bath - but assuming their coat is not oily/flaky/smelly, they usually do a great job of cleaning themselves.

bonosloveslave said:
If you all have not heard yet, a food was added to the recall list today, it is a prescription food that is made by Hills called m/d - it is only the dry formula that is affected.

When I heard this on the news and they said Hills I got nervous because Zoey is on the s/d and they didnt say which one. I'm glad you posted!

Sicy said:
As Easter is approaching I just wanted to remind all the cat owners that Easter Lillies are EXTREMELY toxic to cats.

2 years ago my friend and I had to rush her cat to emergency after he chewed some leaves off her Easter Lilly and had vomited a few times. He had to have a charcoal flush and subq fluids. Thankfully he is fine now. I also remember that bonosloveslaves kitty ate part of an Easter Lilly too and had an even worse time of it, so PLEASE no Easter Lillies in the house :)

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1418&articleid=837

I had forwarded this to my cousin Sharon, an art teacher in Virginia (who has six cats, two dogs, a rat, a rabbit, and two teen-age boys, all in the house!). She responded with this, which has a very long list of plants that are toxic to cats.

http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants.html

:yikes:

Yep. I just dont keep any plants in the house. I'd rather not take the chance.

Our cats destroyed pretty much every houseplant we ever tried to keep anyway, so we just pass on them altogether now, too. My mother, who lives in a high-rise apartment with a cat and was an avid gardener back when she had a house, copes by growing a couple types of indoor vines which she's trained along the wall above kitty level. It looks really cool, better than hanging plants which you tend to stop seeing after a while, but that's a bit too much work for me.

Alpo/Purina info:

ALPO® BRAND PRIME CUTS IN GRAVY CANNED DOG FOOD
VOLUNTARY NATIONWIDE RECALL

No Dry Purina Products Involved

March 31, 2007

On March 30, 2007, Nestlé Purina PetCare Company announced it is voluntarily recalling all sizes and varieties of its ALPO® Prime Cuts in Gravy wet dog food with specific date codes. The Company is taking this voluntary action after learning that wheat gluten containing melamine, a substance not approved for use in food, was provided to Purina by the same company that also supplied Menu Foods. The contamination occurred in a limited production quantity at only one of Purina's 17 pet food manufacturing facilities.

Consumers should immediately stop feeding their dogs ALPO Prime Cuts products with the date codes listed below and consult with a veterinarian if they have any health concerns with their pet.

The recalled 13.2-ounce and 22-ounce ALPO Prime Cuts cans and 6-, 8-, 12- and 24-can ALPO Prime Cuts Variety Packs have four-digit code dates of 7037 through 7053, followed by the plant code 1159. Those codes follow a "Best Before Feb. 2009" date. This information should be checked on the bottom of the can or the top or side of the multi-pack cartons.

Importantly, no Purina brand dry pet foods are affected by the recall – including ALPO Prime Cuts dry. In addition, no other Purina dog food products, no Purina cat food products, Purina treat products or Purina Veterinary Diet products are included in this recall, nor have been impacted by the contaminated wheat gluten supply.

At Purina, nothing is more important to us than the health and well-being of the pets whose nutrition has been entrusted to us by their owners, and we deeply regret this unfortunate situation. We will continue to take any and all actions necessary to ensure the quality and safety of our products.

Please see our March 30 press release for more information and click here for an updated list of Frequently Asked Questions. If you have more questions or concerns, please contact our Office of Consumer Affairs at 1-800-218-5898.

I have to say it's a bit concerning all these pet food recalls that are happening in the US at the moment.
Makes you wonder if Australian pet food companies are making dodgy food too - I haven't heard of any recalls here, but I would assume most pet food is made pretty much the same way.

Maxxy has developed of greeting us as soon as he wakes up: He comes close to us if we are sitting, and climbs into our laps and touches his nose to ours. :lol: He's been doing that for a week now, with any of us he sees.

If we're sitting, he'll put his paws on our legs and meow.... till we bend down. :cute:

:cute:

pooz_chat.gif

Babydoll said:
Maxxy has developed of greeting us as soon as he wakes up: He comes close to us if we are sitting, and climbs into our laps and touches his nose to ours. :lol: He's been doing that for a week now, with any of us he sees.

If we're sitting, he'll put his paws on our legs and meow.... till we bend down. :cute:

My cat does the same... But usually it's when she's asking for food :wink: And she is always asking for food :rolleyes: She needs to lose some weight...

Babydoll said:
Is it advisable or recommended to bathe your kitty? Someone was commenting on Max, saying his fur isn't as clean as it should be, and that he needs a bath with baby shampoo. When I was first heard him say it I was surprised, as I hadn't heard of cats being bathed. Also, Maxxy hates water more than the average kitty. I'm wondering if we ever do decide to bathe him, would it be ok? I know he'd be uncomfy but... would he get over it or is it just not advisable?

I don't bathe mine unless they actually got something spilled on them or ran through a mud puddle, etc, or have bugs and need a special shampoo to kill them. They are good a grooming themselves and each other and none of our cats have ever smelled bad. Beckham and Posh hate the water so baths would be very stressful for them. Last time I bathed Beckham was when he was running in my parent's basement and went into a very dusty, dirty hole. Even with my sis helping, he managed to bite my wrist so hard I had a dental impression of all of his top teeth that left a scar for a long time. We've bathed Marijke twice already, but she has really long, fine hair and twice after we've had friends over a lot she's gotten really greasy from being constantly handled. The oiliness seems to make her hair matted, so we've given her a quick bath. Now I'm trying to get her to let me brush through her coat every once in a while. She doesn't struggle like crazy though so it's not as stressful for her. The others have only had a bath once or twice like when they escaped and ran out into the rain, through the mud.

I've seen a few shampoos that are like dry powder that you brush through, but I've never tried one.

As long as the cat is grooming himself, the quality of his coat probably has much more to do with his diet than cleanliness. Using crappy brands of cat food can give them dull coats with more shedding or dandruff than normal. Better quality foods will give them a glossy (but not excessively oily), healthy coat.

Sicy said:

When I heard this on the news and they said Hills I got nervous because Zoey is on the s/d and they didnt say which one. I'm glad you posted!

Roscoe, and by default Will (he's a piggy and eats anything that's around), is on c/d. I had a mild panic attack too when I heard.

I went to the vet today to pick up more food and they assured me the c/d was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom