For Cat Lovers Only VII - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone seen the new commercial for The Good Life? It's a new cat food. Breaks my heart it is so sweet.

I have two kitties and one right now is going through kidney failure and I am doing IVs at home every few days and that commecial is just too much for me.

YellowKite said:
Has anyone seen the new commercial for The Good Life? It's a new cat food. Breaks my heart it is so sweet.

I have two kitties and one right now is going through kidney failure and I am doing IVs at home every few days and that commecial is just too much for me.

Been there, done that. :hug:

I hope everyone is aware of the cat and dog food recall! There are SO many brands on the list. One of my brands is on there, but luckily it's only for a wet food product and my cats don't get wet food.

My parents visited their friends last week and their dog had just died very unexpectedly of kidney failure. The dog had gone to the vet days before for a regular checkup and was in perfect health. My mom has been wondering if they were feeding it one of the recalled products. :(

1152928504684wc9bq5ze9.jpg

Liesje said:
I hope everyone is aware of the cat and dog food recall! There are SO many brands on the list. One of my brands is on there, but luckily it's only for a wet food product and my cats don't get wet food.

My parents visited their friends last week and their dog had just died very unexpectedly of kidney failure. The dog had gone to the vet days before for a regular checkup and was in perfect health. My mom has been wondering if they were feeding it one of the recalled products. :(

Oh no. I am not aware of this at all. :slant:

Where can I find this list?

My neighbor feeds Nutro pouches :| I let her know about the recall.

Both my guys are on Vet RX foods so they are not affected.

Jack doesn't usually get wet food, but I gave him a pouch of Iams recently, when he was on a powdered antibiotic for his pink eye. Luckily he didn't like it, so I bought Meow Mix wet food. :yikes:

He's his usual self, though. I gave him a grape earlier, and he chased it around like it was the best toy in the whole world!

We are wondering whether or not to put Maxxy on a diet - does he look tubby to you ladies in these pics? We think he is but we need opinions!

Babydoll said:
We are wondering whether or not to put Maxxy on a diet - does he look tubby to you ladies in these pics? We think he is but we need opinions!

I've seen much much worse, but like MsPurrl said, the vet can give the best advice.

I've tried to be really careful with my cats. I have zero tolerance for obese pets, since it's something that is so easily preventable, can lead to many serious health problems, and it's really unfair to the animal who depends on you for nutrition. When I see the obese animals we have at the shelter, it's really sad how obviously worse their lives are compared to the healthy ones in the next cage.

I've had to be the most careful with Posh, since she has a smaller frame. Her max. healthy weight is 9 lbs (according to the vet). Beckham's weight fluctuates through the seasons as his activity levels and appetite changes but he always weighs between 10-11 lbs. Marijke came to us very thin and I've been trying to put weight on her ever since, but she's very active and is less interested in food than the other cats.

We don't don't free feed our cats which makes it very easy to control their food intake. They each get slightly different amounts and are fed twice a day. If they get a treat, it's something good like a small piece of white chicken meat.

It's hard to say, do you know how much he weighs? Or do you have any pics with a person holding him? Then you can see how big he is in comparison. The pics you posted do not jump out at me as "oh what a fat cat!" so I doubt he's obese.

He's only like about a year old now, which is why I was worried - for his age he does look tubby. We haven't weighed him yet... some people call him fat and some say he looks fine. I wonder if it's his natural body structure that's large...:hmm:

I am the owner of an EXCEPTIONALLY needy Siamese cat - I can't go on holidays for more than a week or my cat goes slightly insane - even though a catsitter comes in for a couple hours every day during my absence!

Anyway, my catsitter has noticed that my cat drinks quite a bit and thought she might have diabetes. And true enough, a few weeks ago I returned home from a trip and couldn't believe how much water she had drank from the day before, when the catsitter was last here. However, once I've returned, Misha's intake of water is drastically reduced - have any of you heard of cats drinking water to deal with their abandonment issues??

She's a strange one, my Misha! :love:

ladywithspinninghead said:
I am the owner of an EXCEPTIONALLY needy Siamese cat - I can't go on holidays for more than a week or my cat goes slightly insane - even though a catsitter comes in for a couple hours every day during my absence!

Anyway, my catsitter has noticed that my cat drinks quite a bit and thought she might have diabetes. And true enough, a few weeks ago I returned home from a trip and couldn't believe how much water she had drank from the day before, when the catsitter was last here. However, once I've returned, Misha's intake of water is drastically reduced - have any of you heard of cats drinking water to deal with their abandonment issues??

She's a strange one, my Misha! :love:

Hi there,

Depending on how old your kitty is, it probably isn't a bad idea to have her to the vet for an exam and comprehensive bloodwork to check out her renal function. You may learn she's completely fine but even that isn't a waste because then your vet will have a "baseline" for future diagnostics. If she's older she could be developing kidney insufficiency, which you want to know about as early on as possible. I always tell people to start doing this yearly at age 5-6.

Couple of other thoughts: Given your observation is that her water intake appears normal, is it possible that the catsitter just didn't fill the bowl up as much as you do, which resulted in it looking emptier than usual? Or could your kitty have spilled some of the water out of the bowl? Mine do this sometimes, if they are chasing each other and somebody skids into the bowl...water slops out and then there's less in it than normal...

^^ It can be diabetes or any renal problem... You should take her to the vet for some exams;) They can take urine and/or blood and they'll find out what's wrong. Diabetes is very frequent in cats but don't worry... With the right treatment she can live long even with the disease;)

Thanks to both of you - I will go get her checked out, just to be safe although my research (only online research, I confess!)) indicates she doesn't drink enough to warrant concern. It only appears to be a problem during my absence...

catlady - both those thoughts are possible, but my catsitter herself noticed Misha drank quite a bit...Perhaps I need to see with her what she considers a "lot" - maybe it's the same amount I notice as well and my catsitter does know more about this stuff than I do...

(by the way, the vet estimates she's 4-5 years old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom