For Cat Lovers Only IX - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kellyahern said:
I'm sorry about Bella's paw, but I'm glad she found you so that you could help her sue :hug:.

On the Animal Cops show, I've seen that kind of thing happen to dogs and their tails and it's horrible :(

When I dropped her off at the vet, there was a lady there with a beautiful black lab that she had rescued and he had been burned with cigarettes and had his front sholder hair burned off. It was one of the most horrific things I could imagine. When the assistant told me Bela may have to have her leg amputated, a little girl was there to pick up her cat and cried out "daddy don't let them do that". I told her not to worry she will be alright, I'll see too it - no matter what.
I thought that was quite cruel to say, not only in front of a child but the vet told me something earlier, that it may not be the entire leg.
Thanks for all the :hug:'s we need them.. Will update tomorrow.

Sue, I think you are one of the angels. Stay strong, and give Bela lots of love and care. Many :hug: to you, and keep us posted. I think that having this thread where we can share feelings about our "furkids" helps all of us, because we all feel the same.

Awww you guys are so great!! :hug: I went to pick her up on my lunch break but they haven't had a chance to look at her paw or change the bandage - they had 2 emergencies this morning.
I'll pick her up on the way home. Be back later.:wink:

Sue, what a terrible story about the cat, I'm so glad she found you and that there's a happy ending for her! :)

Okay guys, I think I might need your help. :uhoh: I strongly suspect that the kitty we took in new years day was a promiscuous kitty, and that we might have a houseful soon. :sigh:

How do you tell if a cat is pregnant? We've looked online, and the information seems quite vague. Here's what I've observed, though:

1) When she first came to us, she was quite slim. I wasn't sure if she was young, or just small-framed. The first few weeks we had her, it seemed that she was filling out nicely after being quite thin when she came into our home. Now, she's downright fat, and the fat seems to be located mostly in her midsection, not at the front. I'll bet she's gained two or three pounds since we brought her in. She started out eating normal amounts, now she's probably eating 50% more than the amounts given on the food packages per day.

2) The websites say to look at their nipples, that they should be bright pink. I spread her fur apart to look, and while one I've seen looks fairly normal flesh-toned, another I've noticed is bright pink, and kind of distended. That's not good, is it? :uhoh:

3) Online, it also says to gently feel their stomachs, and that sometimes you can feel distinct walnut-sized bumps. Sometimes I think I can feel this, other times not so much.

4) It says to look for changes in their behaviour. That's kind of hard to do when you've got a new cat, and every behaviour is new!

Anything else I should look for? And what should I be doing if she is? I'm freaked out that one morning I'm going to wake up and find a batch of kittens in a really inconvenient place. Should I make a birthing area for her in a box, just in case?

Help! :scream:

Oh, and...who wants a kitten? ;)

I can't really afford to take her in at the moment. I'm still finishing up school, and not working yet and my budget's pretty tight. Hopefully that'll change by the end of the month. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone who had experience with pregnant cats had any suggestions or ideas.

Plus, if you'd all PM me with your addresses, that'd be great. I'll ship the kittens for free. ;)

MsPurrl said:
This is how Fergus looked when we took him in, in July 2006:

FergusFlag1.jpg

This is *MR.* Fergus this past September--he's the size of a dog! (I need to get updated pix of both him and Callie.)

Fergus090907.jpg

It's difficult to imagine it's the same kitty-boy--we didn't know when we took him just how emaciated he was. :(

:giggle: it's like a Jenny Craig ad in reverse. Our orange cat is big like Fergus too :cute:

cinnaminson said:
hmm, getting her to pee on a stick may be tricky. .

I know! A website I went to said to look for the following:

1) Positive pregnancy tests in the trash

2) Your kitty going out and coming home with strollers and other supplies

3) Your kitty initiating discussions with you regarding names for her babies.

:lol:

Funny, but wasn't very helpful.

VintagePunk said:
I can't really afford to take her in at the moment. I'm still finishing up school, and not working yet and my budget's pretty tight. Hopefully that'll change by the end of the month. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone who had experience with pregnant cats had any suggestions or ideas.

Plus, if you'd all PM me with your addresses, that'd be great. I'll ship the kittens for free. ;)

www.carecredit.com
Some vets take this.

I was going to suggest you look at her nipples but you already did that.

I don't know about cats, but for dogs, pregnant bitches can be spayed if it's early enough and it will abort the puppies. Sounds terrible, but generally it is a good thing for a stray taken in. There's already too many dogs to go around and unspayed dogs/cats will be going into heat which complicates when they can be spayed.

If I suspected her to be pregnant, I'd schedule a spay immediately, assuming it works the same way for cats, put it on the credit card or something, maybe see if a local rescue can help.

VintagePunk said:

Are you in the US. If so check with ARF (animal rescue foundation) they've helped me so much already and Bela is now on the list to be spayed. (no charge)

http://www.arf.net/ :up:

I'm also wondering if Bela is pregnant. :shrug: She goes back to the vet this week to monitor her foot. She isn't going to loose her leg. But the foot/paw area is going to come off, the doc says.
She is so much happier. She even uses that hurt paw to play with. She's amazing. Maybe her paw will just puff right back up.
I know that's silly. :wink:
Since the vet took off the bandages and she was free and clear to lick her paw, she is one happy kitty.

Good luck VintagePunk, I hope you can find an organization to help with this. :heart:

My parents were telling me that the other night a raccoon was up on our deck, and Chloe was going NUTS running from window to window so she could check this thing out at every angle. It was also watching her intently, and I think they were confused because they're similarly shaped :lol:

(Chloe really does run like a raccoon.)

At one point my parents said the raccoon was up on the table on the deck and it stood up on its hind legs to watch her. I wish I could have been there to see her reaction!

U2democrat said:
My parents were telling me that the other night a raccoon was up on our deck, and Chloe was going NUTS running from window to window so she could check this thing out at every angle. It was also watching her intently, and I think they were confused because they're similarly shaped :lol:

(Chloe really does run like a raccoon.)

At one point my parents said the raccoon was up on the table on the deck and it stood up on its hind legs to watch her. I wish I could have been there to see her reaction!

:cute: Sounds like she's making a new friend (or maybe the raccoon has had bad luck with lady raccoons and is interested in inter-species dating).

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

There are no cat rescue organizations in this area, and I called our local SPCA, and there are no free or low cost spay/neuter programs that I'd be eligible for.

Just got off the phone with my vet's office (took my dog to that practice for years and years, they're very good, have a great reputation, and are on the lower end of fees for this area), and I'd be looking at close to a minimum of $400 with vaccinations, which are necessary before they or any other clinic in the area would be willing to do surgery. Given the time of her probable impregnation, they said that it would be doubtful that the vaccines would become effective before she gave birth, anyway.

However, I did describe her weight gain and nipples to the tech, and she said that it might not be pregnancy. She recommended that I wait it out, and see.

Sue, so glad to hear your kitty has had such a wonderful outcome. :)

Last edited:
Wowee.. I cant believe you dont have any low cost spay / neuter clinics. Not sure where you are located but you can try this list.

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html#states

I hope she's not pregnant! I would really look into the care credit though, www.carecredit.com if you plan on keeping this cat long term. Because eventually the right thing to do would be to get her spayed and vaccinated. Good luck :hug:

I can't access the care credit website from home, but that's not unusual for my computer. I'm definitely going to check it out tomorrow from work.
I have no idea what, if any shots she's had. I want to make sure the rest of her life is comfortable and disease free as possible.
I already know she doen't have the majors (thanks to ARF) like lukemia, worms or aids and whatever else the vet checked.
I'm sure she is going to need these vaccines and shots.
That's why it's probably so expensive VP because they will check for all this and quote you an estimate, based on everything they need.
Keep checking!! You didn't indicate if you contacted ARF and I'm telling you they are probably the best bet - even if it's not local. (but don't know for sure, I/Bela got extremely lucky)
Keep in mind also, of the 5 vet clinics in town I called, not one told me about ARF or the other alternatives I found out about on this forum. :hug:
Thank's again Sicy and indra and everyone else :wink: (we need a kitty smilie..) :giggle:

sue4u2 said:

That's why it's probably so expensive VP because they will check for all this and quote you an estimate, based on everything they need.
Keep checking!! You didn't indicate if you contacted ARF and I'm telling you they are probably the best bet - even if it's not local. (but don't know for sure, I/Bela got extremely lucky)
Keep in mind also, of the 5 vet clinics in town I called, not one told me about ARF or the other alternatives I found out about on this forum. :hug:
Thank's again Sicy and indra and everyone else :wink: (we need a kitty smilie..) :giggle:

Thanks for the suggestion. :) Unfortunately, I'm in Canada, and in my specific area, there are no rescue organizations. The ones I have been able to find seem to be located mostly in very big cities that aren't really feasible for me to travel to. And because of the timing and the vaccination situation, it sounds like vets wouldn't take her in to do the surgery, anyway.

I know it's not ideal to bring a litter of kittens into the world, but for now, it seems like if she is pregnant, that's what's going to happen. I'll deal with it. :) And, there's always the chance that she might not be, in which case, I should be able to get her spayed in a couple of months. She's an indoor cat now, no going outside for my girl. :shame: ;)

Again, really, really glad that things worked out for you and Bela - you're an angel. :hug:

We still haven't named our kitty yet. We want to find the perfect name, one that fits! So far, Kitty has sufficed though. If we do have kittens, we'll have to number them, because we obviously suck at coming up with names. :reject:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom