For Cat Lovers Only IX - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never even thought about checking for microchips, thanks for the suggestion. She's really, really pretty, doesn't have the look of a typical weathered and beaten outdoor cat, although she certainly seems to know her way around outdoors. She's obviously been able to find my house daily for the past week. She's a gray tabby, smallish, I would guess maybe 6 months old?

We're not that far from the local SPCA, so I'll get her checked the microchip tomorrow. Unfortunately, being so close to the SPCA means that many cats get dumped in this area. :(

To clarify, I don't currently have any other cats, the others I had were years ago.

Here are a couple of crappy webcam photos Sarah just took of her :cute:

IMG000031.jpg

IMG000030.jpg

I'm becoming one of you people now, aren't I? :reject:

:wink:

VintagePunk said:

:yes:

You're doomed. :D

She's very cute and looks happy with her choice of people. :)

VintagePunk said:

:lol:

Welcome!!! :applaud:

Oh that's great that you dont have any other cats. All the more reason to keep her :drool:

VintagePunk said:
To clarify, I don't currently have any other cats, the others I had were years ago.

IMG000031.jpg

IMG000030.jpg

:yes:

Welcome to the club :wave: :hug:

Sicy - those pics were adorable! :cute:
and Amy - LOL!

VintagePunk said:
I never even thought about checking for microchips, thanks for the suggestion. She's really, really pretty, doesn't have the look of a typical weathered and beaten outdoor cat, although she certainly seems to know her way around outdoors. She's obviously been able to find my house daily for the past week. She's a gray tabby, smallish, I would guess maybe 6 months old?

We're not that far from the local SPCA, so I'll get her checked the microchip tomorrow. Unfortunately, being so close to the SPCA means that many cats get dumped in this area. :(

My sister's cat is the same way. Really affectionate, not afraid of people at all and looked pretty healthy. She found him at a school that she worked at and he was about six months old at the time. Quite a few cats get dumped at schools. Unfortunately, some people just dump cats if they don't want them anymore or if their cat has kittens :(

VintagePunk said:

IMG000031.jpg

IMG000030.jpg

Join us . . . looks like love, to me! :love:

kellyahern said:

Quite a few cats get dumped at schools.

That's how my Roscoe came to me. I used to see him as a kitten hanging around the alleys by my apartment. He was very affectionate even then. One November night he followed me into my apartment and he's been with me ever since. :love:

I did take him to the Humane Society to check for a chip. They took a picture of him and his information in case anyone called looking for him. I was going to surrender him but they told me they were going to put him down. He was about 7 months old. I picked up the carrier and walked right out with him and told them to call me if anyone calls them! Roscoe is by far the most affectionate cat I've ever had. He is always giving people kisses. :cute:

VP, once you snuggle a cat like that, IT"S OVER! :heart:

Kitty update - she's still with us, and as of yesterday, she's officially ours, as far as I'm concerned. :happy:

Yesterday was when I finally got up the courage to call the SPCA :reject: I spoke to an employee there, gave her a description, she looked up reports of missing cats, and there was nothing close to a description of her. I asked the woman how soon people tend to report their cats lost, and she said within a day or two. Given the amount of time we've had her in the house, and she's been hanging around outside, she would have gone missing almost two weeks ago. I also asked the woman if I should take her to their offices to get checked for a microchip, and she said that if she's never been spayed, it's very, very unlikely that she'd have a microchip. As far as I can see/feel, there are no signs at all that she's been spayed, so I really don't think I'm going to bother. They have my name and number in case anyone calls to report her missing, but the woman seemed to think that at this point, it would be unlikely that they'd get any calls, and I agree. We also went to a pet store in our area yesterday to pick up some things for her, and the woman that manages the places reiterated this - she said that in the past year that she's worked there, there have only been two people coming in asking to post flyers for missing cats. It seems that cats are expendable to many people. :(

For the first two days she was in with us, she clung to us like crazy. We couldn't leave her alone, she's follow us everywhere. The odd time that she did stray off to explore the house, she'd quickly return to where we were. She went upstairs on her own a few times, and would be up there for a minute or two, then she'd start crying. We'd call her and she'd come running back to us. I think she got up there, realized she was alone and got scared. Yesterday and today she seems much more secure, coming to us for snuggles for a few minutes, and then moving away to lay a few feet from us, as opposed to right on us. Oh, and she likes to wake us up in the morning by jumping on our faces. lol

Here's a new pic:

cat2.jpg

VintagePunk said:
Kitty update - she's still with us, and as of yesterday, she's officially ours, as far as I'm concerned. :happy:

Yesterday was when I finally got up the courage to call the SPCA :reject: I spoke to an employee there, gave her a description, she looked up reports of missing cats, and there was nothing close to a description of her. I asked the woman how soon people tend to report their cats lost, and she said within a day or two. Given the amount of time we've had her in the house, and she's been hanging around outside, she would have gone missing almost two weeks ago. I also asked the woman if I should take her to their offices to get checked for a microchip, and she said that if she's never been spayed, it's very, very unlikely that she'd have a microchip. As far as I can see/feel, there are no signs at all that she's been spayed, so I really don't think I'm going to bother. They have my name and number in case anyone calls to report her missing, but the woman seemed to think that at this point, it would be unlikely that they'd get any calls, and I agree. We also went to a pet store in our area yesterday to pick up some things for her, and the woman that manages the places reiterated this - she said that in the past year that she's worked there, there have only been two people coming in asking to post flyers for missing cats. It seems that cats are expendable to many people. :(

For the first two days she was in with us, she clung to us like crazy. We couldn't leave her alone, she's follow us everywhere. The odd time that she did stray off to explore the house, she'd quickly return to where we were. She went upstairs on her own a few times, and would be up there for a minute or two, then she'd start crying. We'd call her and she'd come running back to us. I think she got up there, realized she was alone and got scared. Yesterday and today she seems much more secure, coming to us for snuggles for a few minutes, and then moving away to lay a few feet from us, as opposed to right on us. Oh, and she likes to wake us up in the morning by jumping on our faces. lol

Here's a new pic:

cat2.jpg

:cute: piccie!!

and :yippie: on your news!! It's official ur a cat mom!! Awesome news VP!

:hug:

Aw, yay!!!! What's her name?!

As for the chip, I wonder why the tech said that about the spay....? I've read the same thing on dog boards, but honestly these days everyone I know has all their animals chipped, regardless of whether they are intact, and often it's done at a different time than spay/neuter. All of my animals are fixed, all were chipped, but none at the time of their alteration. It's likely in the future that I will have an unaltered dog and it will definitely be microchipped. Here, chips are only $10 so people who can't afford spay or neuter often still get microchips at pet stores or open houses at the animal shelters.

That's great news! I'm so happy for you. It's hard to tell if they are spayed, really easy to tell if boys are neutered :giggle: So I'm sure if you take her to the vet for a check up they can scan her for a chip and see if she's spayed. They might shave her to check for a spay tattoo.

Sounds as if little kitty is very happy with her new people Vintage Punk. :) She's quite the little beauty. And we (the crazy cat people) have gained yet another person. :D

Madonna's Child -- Schwantz is soooo cute! I love his little black nose! :cute:

MsPurrl -- Fergus looks like such a big help. :yes: Yellow/orange cats always seem to be very personable. Every one I've ever know has been anyway.

Sicy -- Saki & Zoey are such beautiful cats. And they know it! And Patches and Snowflake -- what a wonderful feral story they are.

With my group I have good news and bad news. The good news is LBC (my niece wants me to name him Steve, and I have to admit it does work for him) is fitting in great and is very happy. He has made himself quite at home and is a very charming fellow.

The bad news is Max (my elderly cat with hyperthyroidism) doesn't seem to be doing well. He's puked a few times over the past couple of days and hasn't eaten since late morning/early afternoon. He's been drinking more than normal, but is completely uninterested in food this evening which is not usual for him at all. He's skinny anyway (because of the hyperthyroidism) and over the past few days has lost quite a bit of weight. Although he was eating regularly until today he wasn't eating quite as much as normal so I started giving him high cal food I get from the vet, but he won't even eat that tonight. Getting a bit picky about his food isn't all that unusual for him, but not eating at all, vomiting and drinking lots of water is.

He still seems happy and doesn't seem uncomfortable, but he's mostly been sleeping (next to the heater :) ) and just seems to be slowing way down. I'm going to call the vet in the morning and see if we can get in (they are usually really busy on Saturday and of course only are in half a day). I can always go to the emergency vet if I have to though.

Biscuit and Jasmine are going to see the vet this morning. Getting them in the carriers is going to be very difficult. :yikes:

Thanks. :) The grab and lift method (we have carriers that open in the front and at the top) didn't work, but we were able to lure them in with treats. Jasmine took a LOT of persuading and caught her claws caught on the towel at the bottom of the carrier about ten times before we finally decided to take it out and make a trail of treats into the carrier.

They did fine with the vet, though. Biscuit's gums are a little inflamed on one side, but they said that we're feeding them the right food and everything, so we just need to keep an eye on her. They've both had their first round of flu vaccination, and we've booked them in to be spayed and chipped on Friday. I think we'll also do the blood test for FeLV since we don't know much about their history.

I think I'm becoming a crazy cat lady. I have to avoid talking to people because all I ever talk about is cats now.

Good job coaxing them into the carriers. I once had to cancel a vet appointment because I couldn't catch the cat I was scheduled to take (and once he did get there the next day he got loose at the vet's and had to be caught with a net. Good times! :happy: ). I hope everything goes well at their next appointment too.

Max update: I got up this morning to call the vet and Max was doing better. He ate happily and pretty well, hasn't been drinking excessively (sounds kinda like I have an alcoholic cat, doesn't it? :lol: ), and hasn't vomited since late last night. So I didn't take him in today. I do plan on getting him to the vet sometime early next week though -- he usually gets pretty regular checkups now anyway.

He is an old cat who is slowing down though and I know he probably doesn't have a whole lot of time left, but I'm happy that right now he seems to be enjoying his life.

Indra, I'm glad that Max is better; and I hope he continues to improve. It's so distressful when our "furkids" aren't feeling well. :(

meeganie, I know what you mean about difficulty getting cats into their carriers. We usually have to "cram" Callie in, then when we get to the vet's or to grooming (we get her claws trimmed at PetSmart), we have to take the top off of the carrier to get her *out*. Going home is the only time she willingly gets into the carrier!

Last Sunday our Callie was sneezing quite a bit, so on Monday I called our vets. They asked if there was a color to the discharge (no), was she having trouble breathing (no), was she lethargic (no), was she eating (yes), was she drinking water (yes), did she seem restless (no)? They said to keep an eye on her; and if she seemed worse, they wanted to see her. That night (New Year's Eve), she was still sneezing, but she also seemed more listless. I was really worried about her! She stayed on the sofa quite a bit, sleeping with some blankets over her (it was cold and snowy here). Fergus got up on the sofa and lay down beside her. He usually harrasses her when he gets by her, but he just lay down. I think he knew she wasn't feeling well, and just wanted to comfort her.

123107DrFergus2.jpg

123107DrFergus.jpg

Happy ending--she improved steadily and is no longer sneezing and seems to be back to her usual self. Maybe because of Dr. Fergus's assistance. :love:

MsPurrl said:
Last Sunday our Callie was sneezing quite a bit, so on Monday I called our vets. They asked if there was a color to the discharge (no), was she having trouble breathing (no), was she lethargic (no), was she eating (yes), was she drinking water (yes), did she seem restless (no)? They said to keep an eye on her; and if she seemed worse, they wanted to see her. That night (New Year's Eve), she was still sneezing, but she also seemed more listless. I was really worried about her! She stayed on the sofa quite a bit, sleeping with some blankets over her (it was cold and snowy here). Fergus got up on the sofa and lay down beside her. He usually harrasses her when he gets by her, but he just lay down. I think he knew she wasn't feeling well, and just wanted to comfort her.

123107DrFergus2.jpg

123107DrFergus.jpg

Happy ending--she improved steadily and is no longer sneezing and seems to be back to her usual self. Maybe because of Dr. Fergus's assistance. :love:

Awww...how cute! Fergus has that "See, I'm being good and helping Callie get better" look going. :cute: I'm glad Callie is feeling better.

I notice several of my cats will snuggle up with me when I'm not feeling well too. I suppose they just like having a warm person to sleep on or by, but I like to believe they are really trying to comfort me. :wink:

And a little Max update -- he's eating up a storm (well for him anyway) today and is much more active. I think he might have just felt kinda icky yesterday. I'm happy for him (and me). :)

indra, I am so glad that Max is better. And I do believe that cats know when their people aren't feeling well and try to comfort them. Miss Purrl (whom we lost about 3 years ago at the good old age of 20-1/2) was so good at it that we called her Nurse Purrl when she did it. :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom