For anyone curious about black metal...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bunbury

Refugee
For anyone that has the slightest curiousity about the world of black metal (u2popmofo you in particular :wink: )
There is a Brooklyn photographer Peter Beste that took a trip to Norway to check out what this whole tjhing is about. He pretty much did a photographic documentary (interviews and phtos) of the whole thing.
As a fan of metal I found it very interesting, so check it out.

http://www.peterbeste.com/

recently i've been getting more into euro death/black metal type stuff so this was pretty interesting to me. are there some bands you would recommend to a newbie? i don't really own any other an an opeth album and a lamb of god album, and lamb of god aren't even european :|.

i've sampled an immortal record on itunes and it sounds pretty cool. my one problem with the genre is the whole evil/satanist thing. i'm not really a christian, but some of the things these guys say in their interviews just creeps me out.

Se7en said:
recently i've been getting more into euro death/black metal type stuff so this was pretty interesting to me. are there some bands you would recommend to a newbie? i don't really own any other an an opeth album and a lamb of god album, and lamb of god aren't even european :|.

i've sampled an immortal record on itunes and it sounds pretty cool. my one problem with the genre is the whole evil/satanist thing. i'm not really a christian, but some of the things these guys say in their interviews just creeps me out.

Glad you are checking out metal :wave:
Cool that you know about Opeth. (Opeth=God, hehe) Lamb of God are actually good one of the few American metal bands that don't suck.

About black metal, its funny, NOT ALL bands sing about satanism, you picked a good band for example, Immortal, none of their lyrics mention satanism or even religion in general, their music is more about Norway and its folklore and stuff like that. In the other hand you got bands like Dimmu Borgir, Burzum, and Darkthrone that sing about evil shit.

Besides Immortal, if you want black metal bands that isn't necessarly satanic or evil check out Zyklon and Borkganar. Let me know if you want to learn more about other bands. :wink:

Last edited:
i think i'm going to buy the latest immortal album off of itunes. do you know where i can sample zyklon or borkganar?

dimmu borgir seems kind of lame the more i hear of them. from what i hear that overuse the eerie synth thing.

is emperor any good? i hear that they are like the creme de la creme of norwegian metal.

Se7en said:
i think i'm going to buy the latest immortal album off of itunes. do you know where i can sample zyklon or borkganar?

dimmu borgir seems kind of lame the more i hear of them. from what i hear that overuse the eerie synth thing.

is emperor any good? i hear that they are like the creme de la creme of norwegian metal.

Here's one sample of Borknagar from their website http://www.borknagar.com/splash/Borknagar - Future Reminiscence.mp3 Just love it :wink:
I guess if you want to sample from Borknagar, Zyklon, and Emperor (Emperor's website has some samples) I would check Amazon or some other internet music shops.

Yea, Emperor were THE black metal band in the early and mid 90's they sort of broke up in a weird way and became Zyklon (metamorphis or something :huh: )
Zyklon has nothing on Emperor they will kick your ass!
I like Dimmu by the way :madspit: :wink:

i sampled some borknagar and emperor. seems like pretty good stuff. i'll have to seee if i can pick up some albums.

what is your opinion on gorgoroth? they seem pretty creepy but the music is great. i wish some of these guys weren't such freaks!

Very interesting :up:

Quick Bunbury, if I was to download 2 or 3 Opeth songs right now, which ones should I get? Only 2 or 3! No more, no less!!!

u2popmofo said:
Very interesting :up:

Quick Bunbury, if I was to download 2 or 3 Opeth songs right now, which ones should I get? Only 2 or 3! No more, no less!!!

2 or 3 ?? But so many good songs :ohmy:
Hmm, "Blackwater Park", Demon of the Fall, and Deliverance

Se7en said:

you never offered me your opinion on gorgoroth.

Honestly i haven't checked them out, I know they been part of the scene for awhile and made some headlines recently with some incident in Poland and the singer had some problems with the law in Norway. But I'll check them out :wink:

Se7en said:
i just bought immortal's sons of northern darkness album from itunes today...holy shit does this thing rock. extremely brutal \m/ haha. anyway, i like! :up:

Sons of Northern Darkness is black metal at its best, you should also check out Immortal's "At the Heart of Winter" it will knock your socks off :wink:

Se7en said:

opeth rocks. i got blackwater park last weekend and it is a great album. these guys are talented.

I just got that album today. I would agree with everything you said.

Very impressive. It's not often that I can finish an album for the first time and immediately listen to it again. Some very cool stuff :up:

Good job on recommending I download the song 'Blackwater Park', Bunbury. :wink:

Se7en said:
i just bought immortal's sons of northern darkness album from itunes today...holy shit does this thing rock. extremely brutal \m/ haha. anyway, i like! :up:

Amzing album. If you dont have any other Immortal, then get Damned In Black next.

As for my own Black Metal tastes, they vary but here's a few of my faves:-

Dimmu Borgir
Emperor
COF (ppl slag em', but they're fellow brits so there!)
Meads Of Asphodel
Dark Tranquility
Empyrium
(Early) Mortiis
Burzum
Immortal
Marduk
(Early) In Flames
In The Woods
Carpathian Forest
Lord Belial
Setherial
Ulver

:eyebrow:
That's about all I think...Fuck me...I cant get the death of D.D out my head. Crazy Shit man..

Back
Top Bottom