football violence needs to stop!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
After yet another tough match yesterday, Man U fans clash with Rome police and yet theres more chaos to the beautiful game...how do you stop football violence???

Stop ManU fans from going to matches! :wink: (j/k)

Seriously though, there's fun harmless banter, and then there are these idiots who take it far more seriously than just a game. Sadly they ruin it for everyone else. I was planning to go to an away match for one of Germany's 2008 qualifiers, but the news of 1000 :censored: hooligans planning to show up changed our minds!

I do find it odd there were no police stationed in the Roma fans section when they seemed to be causing equal trouble.

I was in Amsterdam back in November when England Vs Netherlands friendly toke place. First time experiencing a match overseas.....very interesting. Each nations fans would walk the streets singing and cheering....and then there were the hooligans that caused at least 3 separate police blockades.

I know in some of our football stadiums, we've built jails (I think Philly has one) where if a fan or fans get out of control, they're booked and thrown in jail on the spot.

UEFA wants 'sports police force'

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- UEFA is working to try to introduce a cross-border sports police force to keep order at European soccer matches from next season, a British newspaper reported on Saturday.

Games involving English clubs Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur in Europe this week were marred by violent clashes between fans and local police in Rome and Seville.

"We are looking to create a type of European sports police, a way of dealing systematically with the problem," The Daily Telegraph quoted a senior official of European soccer's governing body as saying.

UEFA President Michel Platini recently called for the setting up of an international police force to deal with sports related violence, a topic of discussion in a meeting he had with European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso.

"We need cool heads. First of all, we cannot tolerate violence in any form off the pitch, but we also have to understand the mechanics of it," said the UEFA official, who was not identified.

"It is over the travelling fans that there are concerns over safety, because it is easier to cause trouble abroad than in England.

"But you have to take note of some reports in the Italian press after the incidents in Rome," he said.

"One point is the drinking habits of English fans, which do shock many southern Europeans."

Tottenham fans fined

The seven Tottenham fans who were arrested after crowd trouble during their side's UEFA Cup match against Sevilla on Thursday have been released after paying fines of up to 1,500 euros ($2,007).

Police said that the seven fans, who had been accused of assaulting policemen and security guards, had returned to England after been fined between 900 and 1,500 euros.

Trouble broke out during the first half of Thursday's quarterfinal first leg at the Sanchez Pizjuan. Spanish authorities said that a number of Tottenham fans had attacked security guards and police as they entered the stadium and occupied an unauthorised area.

Police equipped with riot shields and batons were deployed against the fans, while television pictures showed seats and missiles being thrown by Tottenham fans.

A number of Tottenham fans were injured in the clashes, while 11 policeman were also hurt, one of whom spent the night in hospital under observation.

It has to be the foreign police forces fault, because in England football hooliganism is unheard of in the domestic game..........

1stepcloser said:
impartial and unbiased as ever jimmmm :wink:

do you seriously think the fucking thugs wielding batons didn't over react, why weren't any of the bastards in with the eyeties, lobbing all kinds of missiles at the utd fans, & then have them knuckle scraping, window licking bastards wading in smashing Utd fans heads in, & then 2 days later, not to be outdone the fucking daygo's get in on the act, apparenlty 1 Spurs fan in a wheelchair took a smash to his head, but then, hey, Utd, Spurs they're English so its alright to let uniformed thugs knock the living shit out of them isn't, & when the dust has settled the fucking chocolate fireguard that is uefa will probably fine the English clubs for failing to keep their fans in order!

toscano said:
It has to be the foreign police forces fault, because in England football hooliganism is unheard of in the domestic game..........

sarcasm doesn't become you fella, but in recent seasons hooliganism hasn't been much of a problem in England, compared to say italy, was it only last season 11 'Boro fans were stabbed by those oh so lovely roma "Ultras," leeds fans killed in fucking turkey, but hey, its their culture to behave in such a way isn't it, & it was only English lads so that makes it alright doesn't it, no-one with 1 iota of common sense could say those fucking chimps in police uniform in italy or spain behaved in anything other than a totally fucking outrageous, & "hooligan" way, if they felt the need to behave like that in rome, why the fuck weren't some of the locals left with smashed heads also. personally I hope the lads in K stand, & the Stretford End kick the living shit out of any eyetie giving it some at OT on tues. night, just to give the continental bastards a real reason to call us ENGLISH again!

English Xenophobia - It's like Herpes

Yes, the Italian and Spanish Police forces overreacted, they are NOT as well trained as the English in the art of controlling football hooligans. The English Police Forces have decades more experience in doing so. The memories of the Engliush fan rampages across europe being so bad that their teams got banned from international competition for a few years are still fresh in the minds of many.

Looks forward to next tirade of dagos, wops, eyeties, huns and "who won the bloody war anyway"

Don't you fucking dare judge the fans now with those of the '70's & '80's, is that any excuse to indiscriminately smash innocent peoples heads in, or are English people in general fair game for a good kicking anytime we travel onto the continent!

& who mentioned the war, WTF is that all about, I believe fish oil is good for low IQ's & general lack of intelligence.

I think that the way the stadium is set up in Rome is just asking for trouble. I think if the facilities were updated and it was a proper all seater stadium then i don't think the trouble would have kicked off. Yes the police overreacted but i think Italian football needs to look at the bigger picture.

Allowing the likes of the "ultras" into a stadium that is effectively terraced (those seats are tiny and have no backrest) and allowing them to bring missiles in to the stadium is ridiculous. It not only threatens the safety of the fans but of the players too.

Just what kind of drugs are available nowadays, just look at some of this, these words have come from supposedly intelligent, educated people:

Italian Economy ministry under-secretary Paolo Cento, who also chairs a club of Roma supporters in parliament:

"It was Manchester that a few days before the match created a mood of tension, talking of a city of violence and danger.

"Now the English club must apologise to Rome and Italy, rather than asking for Tony Blair to intervene."

Yeah, we're so sorry our English heads did so much damage to your batons. You FUCKING CHIMP!

* Italy's Senate vice-president Mario Baccini:

"The police forces did their duty, isolating troublemakers and permitting the game to continue properly.

Isolated before the start of the game, hey, because there wasn't 1 single italian policeman(& I use that term very loosely)in with the roma crowd, who were lobbing missiles at the Utd support.

"Certainly, they did less than what foreign police do to Italian fans following our teams."

I don't ever remember a single incident of an italian being smashed from pillar to post by an English Policeman, EVER!

A bit of sense from an unlikely source;

* Former ref Anders Frisk who was at the game:

"It was a very bad experience for me to be back in the Olympic Stadium and this time witnessing something that was not good for the game of football. I think the approach from the Italian police was (to blame), in my opinion. My feeling from the beginning was that they were very close to the United supporters. Maybe what started it was something being thrown and I think the Italian police reacted very, very aggressively towards one or two incidents and this is what caused everything to flare in my opinion.

And the sad reality of it all;
The Times:

Insult was added to injury last night as Italian football authorities joined Rome police in condoning the terrifying scenes in the Olympic Stadium on Wednesday, with fears that Manchester United will be punished by Uefa for the ugly incidents even though the club believe that their fans were innocent victims.

Yep, the most likely outcome, United will be punished, roma may get a slap on the wrist, & the FUCKING uniformed CHIMPS, who masquerade as italian police, will recieve praise, & a pat on the back. You really couldn't make this shit up.

You know, mate, while I do share your outrage, those United fans weren't exactly sitting around minding their own business. By all accounts loads of them were highly inebriated.

I do agree the Roma fans are more to blame though; it's been a massive problem for years. Read 'A Season With Verona' by Tim Parks some time ago; expected it to be a charming little travelogue kinda thing, turned out to be an account of some of the more unsavoury elements of football support. Then there are stories of West Ham supporters being attacked by Palermo supporters not too long ago in some of the sickest ways imaginable.

bayernfc said:
Stop ManU fans from going to matches! :wink: (j/k)

That'd be nice, and hopefully the club will just wilt away and die, and leave football to thrive....

Same goes for the other G14 clubs, and I'm a Liverpool supporter, albiet a reluctant, half-arsed one.

yertle-the-turtle said:
You know, mate, while I do share your outrage, those United fans weren't exactly sitting around minding their own business. By all accounts loads of them were highly inebriated.

I do agree the Roma fans are more to blame though; it's been a massive problem for years. Read 'A Season With Verona' by Tim Parks some time ago; expected it to be a charming little travelogue kinda thing, turned out to be an account of some of the more unsavoury elements of football support. Then there are stories of West Ham supporters being attacked by Palermo supporters not too long ago in some of the sickest ways imaginable.

Actually THE VAST MAJORITY of the Utd fans were being showered with missiles of all kinds when the main trouble kicked off, roma fans surged towards the barrier separating the fans, Utd fans did likewise, Utd fans had their heads smashed in, roma fans didn't, WHY, I've stated in several threads before I'm not for 1 minute interested in defending hooligan behaviour, whether it be Utd fans, England, or any English club side, what sickens me to the pit of my stomach is seeing INNOCENT, (& the vast majority of Utd fans on Weds. night were INNOCENT) fans have the living shit kicked out of them, & on top of that have every man & his F***ING dog defend the TWATS responsible for legelised assault, LETS ALL be absolutely honest about this now, IF those scenes were replicated in ENGLAND by the old bill, or any set of fans, the wingebags around Europe would be calling for ALL English club sides to be banned, & have the national team banned as well, no ifs or buts, & I for 1 am sick of England being made a scapegoat for violence around the continent. Decades ago it WAS A MAJOR problem in England, and the nation as a whole rightly paid a price for it, probably too late, but a price we paid, & since then by & large its a problem that has been controlled at least at club level(I'm not talking about the knobheads who follow the national team) & the fans of those clubs should be treated more humanely when following their teams abroad,

1 more piece from the article I posted earlier;

* The Telegraph:

At 8.30am yesterday morning, Michael Skarratt, 51, woke up in his hospital ward here to find an enraged Roma fan staring at him.

"I was just putting on my T-shirt," said Mr Skarratt, a Manchester United season ticket holder who was taken to the San Pietro hospital after being stabbed in the left buttock before the match on Wednesday night.

"He was all messed up, his nose had been broken. He started screaming at me in Italian, with some English swear words mixed in. Then he spat in my face. I was shaking with fear. Luckily after a while he went away."

Now the door to the end of Mr Skarratt's ward is locked shut. His wife, Linda, and his 26-year-old daughter, Nicola, were by his bedside.

Mr Skarratt's wound is a favourite of the Roma Ultra, who believe that a bottom wound humiliates their victims, who are unable to sit down during their recovery. Unfortunately, since he was taking anti-coagulants for a heart condition, doctors were unable to stem his bleeding until early yesterday morning.

I suppose Mr Skarratt is a typical English thug who deserved not only to have his head caved in at the match, but then deserved to be frightened shitless & spat at in his hospital bed HEY.

Stop DEFENDING the DEFENCELESS, open your eyes & let the BASTARDS know that kind of behaviour SHOULD NOT be allowed in a supposed CIVILIZED society, before some poor innocent FOOTBALL fan goes to a match never to return, no-one wants a return to that !

toscano said:

I've been attending matches in the UK since 1983 and have never seen any trouble, be it at home , away or a neutral ground.

The only time i have seen hooliganismis is at european cup finals. I saw fans wearing colors of teams that were just there to start a fight :madwife:

Once again it's the minority that give the majority of decent law abiding fans a bad name :rant:

And the vicious circle of violence continues. Drastic measures need to be taken, on both sides, to decrease the chances of this ever happening again.

It's just sad.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/news_story/?ID=222722&hubname=

Riots in Rome after fan shot by police

The Canadian Press
11/12/2007 12:32:58 PM

ROME - A police officer was placed under investigation Monday for possible manslaughter in the shooting death of a soccer fan that provoked riots across Italy.

Authorities detained four people Monday suspected in the rioting in Rome, where angry fans attacked a police barracks near the stadium and the headquarters of the Italian Olympic Committee. A fifth person was detained in Bergamo for attempting to knock down a barrier Sunday during the Atalanta-AC Milan match.

Meanwhile, sports authorities in Rome drew up anti-violence measures after the latest episode of fan violence.

Gabriele Sandri, a 26-year-old disc jockey from Rome, was sitting in a car that had stopped at a highway rest area near Arezzo in Tuscany when he was fatally shot in the neck by a bullet fired by a police officer.

Arezzo police chief Vincenzo Giacobbe said policeman was being investigated for possible manslaughter.

On Sunday, police in Arezzo said that the officer, from a position on the other side of the highway, had fired two warning shots in the air to break up a scuffle at the rest stop. But on Monday, they gave a different version of what they have called a "tragic error."

National police chief Antonio Manganelli promised to get to the truth of the shooting, criticizing the policeman for an "inept" action.

Initial reports said police intervened to stop a scuffle between Sandri's group of Lazio fans - headed to see their club play at Inter Milan - and a group of Juventus fans, also travelling north to see their team play.

On Monday, authorities raised doubts that fan rivalry had fuelled the fight.

"(The officer) intervened to calm down what appeared to be a fight," Giacobbe said. "He didn't know if they were fans. Another thing to clarify is why it was called a fight between fans. We think so, but (the officers on the scene) didn't know it. They saw a fight beginning, yelling, banging on a car."

On Monday, Giacobbe said the fatal shot apparently was fired "horizontally," across four lanes of highway.

Milan daily Corriere della Sera quoted the policeman as saying the second shot went off accidentally.

Sandri's death forced the postponement of two Serie A matches and the suspension of another as clashes erupted in cities including Milan and Bergamo. Enraged by the shooting, rioters smashed windows and hurled stones at police cars.

In the Italian capital, violent fans rioted into the night, setting trash bins and police vans on fire.

About 75 police officers were injured in Rome, police said. The Italian Olympic Committee - attacked along with nearby police barracks - estimated damage to its headquarters at about 100,000 euros (C$138,000).

On Monday night, the soccer federation said it would suspend games set for Sunday, when Serie B and C play. The Serie A isn't scheduled to play this weekend because the national team has a match against Scotland.

A national watchdog body for soccer violence announced Monday that large groups of violent fans would be blocked from travelling to certain games. The monitoring body already labels games by risk level, and visiting fans will be barred from travelling to high-risk matches until a system of fan identity cards can be instituted.

Also, by March 1, all stadiums with a capacity of more than 7,500 will have to provide match stewards, the monitoring body announced. Otherwise, the games will be held behind closed doors.

But all visiting fans have already been barred from several games this season and stewards were decided on following violence at a Champions League game between Manchester United and AS Roma last season.

Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon indicated that some of the reaction was out of proportion.

"If an old lady with a soccer scarf around her neck is robbed and killed, should we stop the league?" Buffon was quoted as saying by ANSA at Italy's training camp in Florence.

jimmmm said:

Actually THE VAST MAJORITY of the Utd fans were being showered with missiles of all kinds when the main trouble kicked off, roma fans surged towards the barrier separating the fans, Utd fans did likewise, Utd fans had their heads smashed in, roma fans didn't, WHY, I've stated in several threads before I'm not for 1 minute interested in defending hooligan behaviour, whether it be Utd fans, England, or any English club side, what sickens me to the pit of my stomach is seeing INNOCENT, (& the vast majority of Utd fans on Weds. night were INNOCENT) fans have the living shit kicked out of them, & on top of that have every man & his F***ING dog defend the TWATS responsible for legelised assault, LETS ALL be absolutely honest about this now, IF those scenes were replicated in ENGLAND by the old bill, or any set of fans, the wingebags around Europe would be calling for ALL English club sides to be banned, & have the national team banned as well, no ifs or buts, & I for 1 am sick of England being made a scapegoat for violence around the continent. Decades ago it WAS A MAJOR problem in England, and the nation as a whole rightly paid a price for it, probably too late, but a price we paid, & since then by & large its a problem that has been controlled at least at club level(I'm not talking about the knobheads who follow the national team) & the fans of those clubs should be treated more humanely when following their teams abroad,

1 more piece from the article I posted earlier;

* The Telegraph:

At 8.30am yesterday morning, Michael Skarratt, 51, woke up in his hospital ward here to find an enraged Roma fan staring at him.

"I was just putting on my T-shirt," said Mr Skarratt, a Manchester United season ticket holder who was taken to the San Pietro hospital after being stabbed in the left buttock before the match on Wednesday night.

"He was all messed up, his nose had been broken. He started screaming at me in Italian, with some English swear words mixed in. Then he spat in my face. I was shaking with fear. Luckily after a while he went away."

Now the door to the end of Mr Skarratt's ward is locked shut. His wife, Linda, and his 26-year-old daughter, Nicola, were by his bedside.

Mr Skarratt's wound is a favourite of the Roma Ultra, who believe that a bottom wound humiliates their victims, who are unable to sit down during their recovery. Unfortunately, since he was taking anti-coagulants for a heart condition, doctors were unable to stem his bleeding until early yesterday morning.

I suppose Mr Skarratt is a typical English thug who deserved not only to have his head caved in at the match, but then deserved to be frightened shitless & spat at in his hospital bed HEY.

Stop DEFENDING the DEFENCELESS, open your eyes & let the BASTARDS know that kind of behaviour SHOULD NOT be allowed in a supposed CIVILIZED society, before some poor innocent FOOTBALL fan goes to a match never to return, no-one wants a return to that !

I have absolutely nothing to say re: european football, but I'm gonna be the voice of reason here (how often does THAT happen?? :wink: ) before a mod steps in and tell you that you have got to chill the fuck out, man.

Seriously.

Please.

Chill.

And cut the thinly-veiled prejudice against "continentals" while you're at it.

:|

Details surface in Italian fan shooting

The Canadian Press
11/13/2007 9:47:14 AM

ROME - The police officer who fatally shot an Italian soccer fan last weekend fired with his arm outstretched - suggesting that the gun did not discharge accidentally as initial reports indicated, Italy's interior minister said Tuesday.

In a briefing to Parliament, Interior Minister Giuliano Amato also announced another dozen arrests stemming from the riots that erupted across Italy as fans attacked police stations after the officer fatally shot 26-year-old Gabriele Sandri on Sunday.

Sandri, a disc jockey from Rome, was sitting in a car stopped at a highway rest area near Arezzo in Tuscany when he was shot in the neck. Initial reports said police had intervened to stop a scuffle between Sandri's group of Lazio fans - headed to see their club play at Inter Milan - and a group of Juventus fans, also travelling north to see their team play.

Reports initially said police fired warning shots into the air, and that "it was possible that firing in the air while (the officer) ran, a second shot came out while his arm was down because he was running," Amato said.

But "now it seems definitively established that the shot came with his arms outstretched from the other side of the highway," he said. "It remains to be understood why."

Amato said the officer should have put his pistol back in his holster after the first warning shot.

The officer has been placed under investigation for possible manslaughter.

Sandri's death forced the postponement of two matches last Sunday and the suspension of another as clashes erupted in cities including Milan and Bergamo.

Enraged by the shooting, rioters smashed windows and hurled stones at police cars. In the capital, fans rioted into the night, setting trash bins and police vans on fire.

Amato said a total of four people had been arrested in Rome, five people in Taranto, six in Milan and seven in Bergamo - and that more arrests were expected. He noted that prosecutors in Rome were considering terrorism charges against the four Roman suspects.

Amato said the fans' violent response to the shooting showed they were just looking for an excuse to attack police, still enraged by security measures imposed following the February death of policeman Filippo Raciti during soccer violence in Sicily.

"Now there's a new reason for a vendetta, for hatred against the police," he said.

Amato confirmed that the reports of a fan scuffle at the rest stop had reached the Arezzo police station, but that it wasn't clear if the patrols at the scene had been informed of the fight.

Reports on Monday suggested the shooting might not been prompted by a fan scuffle at all.

"It's also possible that the patrols acted before receiving the news," Amato said. "We don't know, I confess, if the young police officer who fired knew that there was a fight between fans, or perhaps he was thinking about something else."

Amato defended the measures taken by police in the aftermath of the shooting, saying their restraint avoided a "true massacre." He also said the decision to allow most games to continue as scheduled following the shooting was correct since a flat-out cancellation of all Sunday matches would have provoked even more serious fan violence.

On Monday, the soccer federation said it would suspend this Saturday's games.

A national watchdog body for soccer violence also announced that some fans would be blocked from traveling to certain games. The agency labels games by risk level, and visiting fans will be barred from travelling to high-risk matches until a system of fan identity cards can be instituted, it said.

this shouldn't generalize italian fans...these are facist and communist "ultras" groups who wear team colors so they can pick a fight, its disgusting. I'm a lifelong Fiorentina fan, but I go to the stadium to support my team, not screw around and fight. It was wrong to schedule games that day and it should have been postponed, but these so called "fans" make me sick.

Italian football is starting to get a really bad name for this. especially after the catania game last year where the policeman was killed. i think the government needs to do something about these "ultras". i'm not sure what though, i can't imagine these groups ever really dissappearing.

Back
Top Bottom