Flying Fish Cove, Christmas Island Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly nobody at Brisbane 2, judging by the lack of ANYTHING resembling updates on Twitter.

Even more belated :fuckyeah: from back in Melbourne... Wish I'd been able to stick around in Bris for one more day!

Holy shit I met Bone-oh today!!!

Will post pic's tomorrow night. what a nice young chap. I wish band all the best for the future.

Also there is fucking nobody at this Brisbane show?? WTF. Bris-vegARSE.

Nice one!

So you think Jay-Z's onto something with this little Irish band, then? :wink:

And I wonder how that reduced crowd reacted to Jay-Z, for that matter.

From the photos the attendance doesn't look too bad.

There are a number of ticket-selling tricks used to disperse the crowd through the stands to give the visual impression of greater attendance than there actually is.

I'm sure they will make up in volume what they lack in numbers... Or something. *L* My mum's cousin is there tonight... I guess sales weren't so poor that they slashed ticket prices at the last minute, a la Simon & Garfunkel.

I should stop torturing myself and go to sleep... :wave:

Heh, Alison, you've had the worst luck with weather in Brisbane!

Alison, you must travel to Darwin this time of year to experience a real storm.

Damn Brisbane 2 was great but it had it's disappointments. Bono totally muffed part of Mercy. No Moment Of Surrender totally sucked balls....I was geared up for it after a pretty darn good WOWY too. Crowd on Adams side was pretty shit. Not many getting into it. (don't know how the fuck anyone can stand talking to friends during Crazy Tonight...and then just break back into it when one of the band members is close...)

But enough of the negatives...Bad was back, I loved that. Still don't know what's happened to BFFTS and the other new ones, but it was nice to hear Mercy again. I thought we were going to get Stuck tonight...when I asked bono what his fav show was...my answer to his response was Melb 2 (he was told from the crew they said Bris 1 was better)...but he said "oh that was when we did Stuck In A Moment" and he pondered for a second and said "mmm" :happy:

One still needs the "do you hear us coming" and lacked a bit tonight...Streets was off the hook as always.

Roll on Sydney, can't believe she's almost over :sad:

:panic:

Those of you who are/have been in university, help! I need to write an essay for my admission application and I'm confused by these instructions. It's also been eight years since I've written an essay about anything other than beer farts.

This personal statement helps us become acquainted with you in ways different from courses, grades, test scores, and other objective data. It will demonstrate your ability to organize thoughts and express yourself. We are looking for an essay that will help us know you better as a person and as a student. Please write an essay and identify, in one or two sentences, an issue of importance to you. Then advocate a policy or position in connection with this issue. Write as if you were advocating your position to someone in authority who might be able to carry out your recommendation. (250-500 words)

What does it mean? :reject: I feel like an idiot for not getting it and doubting whether I should even apply if I need help with the admissions essay...

ETA: Okay, I get the assignment. I just don't know what to write about. The only thing that's coming to mind is setlist bitching. Which would amuse us, but I don't think the admissions officer would think it's all that funny. I'm going into the education program, starting off as a high school science teacher, doing practical experiments to teach physics. Explosions, dropping stuff off the roof, throwing things at each other and making various types of non-newtonian liquids and other goo are some of the ideas I have for teaching my class. And sci-fi Fridays, which will consist of describing the physics of Doctor Who, Star Trek, etc. That'd be my ideal high school science class.

Well, what you really need to do is think of some issue that is near and dear to your heart. Explain what you would do to change that situation. You've got plenty to write about re: Riley if you so chose.

The most important thing is to get your personality to seep through the essay. That's what they want, they want to know who you are, what you stand for and how you look at the world.

And don't worry too much about it, that's the other important thing.

Meanwhile, I dont want to get too excited or say too much, but I have an industry-based job interview.

Good luck, Ash! And thanks for the advice. Westminster is a private school, so I'm going to either be up to my eyeballs in debt or only be a part-time student or something.

I never thought U2 shows in Australia would mess with my sleeping schedule. WTF.

And god, I'm so glad we don't have to do admissions essays or anything for university down here.

Axver said:
I never thought U2 shows in Australia would mess with my sleeping schedule. WTF..

Toughen up! :wink:

I suppose i should get out of bed, shower pack and check out. I still have basically 2 hours to kill after I check out.

It's all the fault of Charlotte and her horrendously early start turning me into a morning person! : passes blame :

Axver said:
It's perhaps lucky that I was not there!

I'm glad they didn't play it, but I'd bet it'll show up again somewhere else.

Some guy told Bono they should play Breathe..another told Adam to play Electrical Storm...not getting any hopes up.

ooh, just found out that the local radio station guy my mom knows told her to tell me to call him so we could schedule a time for me to come down there and hang out.

I'm glad they didn't play it, but I'd bet it'll show up again somewhere else.

Some guy told Bono they should play Breathe..another told Adam to play Electrical Storm...not getting any hopes up.

Yeah, pretty safe bet either Sydney or Perth will cop it.

We can only dream they'd pull out stuff like that now.

I'm going through RYM making something of a 2010 albums list ... it's kind of worrying how I've forgotten how some of this stuff sounds.

That's what I hate the most about doing this.

I'm going to start updating the blog with 2010 stuff. First up: 10 worst albums of the year.

That's what I hate the most about doing this.

I'm going to start updating the blog with 2010 stuff. First up: 10 worst albums of the year.

Some of this is really good stuff too, it just fell by the wayside for months. Hell, I think the reason I let Ludicra fall by the wayside is because of their stupid name. Otherwise, this is some good atmospheric metal.

Maybe I should write for the blog again? I keep having things to say about music that don't really fit on RYM.

:grumpy: Of COURSE Australia doesn't have admissions essays. Australia is like America if America were cool. Or thought rationally. Or had elected officials who actually did stuff.

There's a public university where with grants and loans, I wouldn't have to pay for tuition at all until I graduate. So there's that. Dave says Westminster, even tho he went there is a bad fit for me.

Ashley, would you agree that Ke$ha on the cover of Cannibal and some photos of Dream Theater's James LaBrie have a striking similarity?

It's been creeping me out! :lol:

Ke$ha looks surprisingly manly on some of her recent single covers as well. But now all I want is for Dream Theater to continue their Live Album series with a cover of Animal in full. Surely the only way to make Tik Tok worse is to insert a wanky 10 minute keyboard solo in the middle by a guy who looks like a fairground wizard.

Oh I'd have to agree.

God, I"m dying, Travis found an interview of Ringo talking about how important a song "Peace Dream" is.

No way! :lol:

And apparently Dream Theater have been auditioning new drummers ... I'm so morbidly curious about their next album. Maybe it won't be so bad without Mike Portnoy and his midlife crisis!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom