Fish and Guardrails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vlasak

Acrobat
That title got your attention didn't it? Anywho, I have two questions and the answers have been alluding me for YEARS! Please, someone know the answers! Okay, 1) Why do trucks that carry fish always say "FISH" on the back of them when trucks carrying port, beef or veal never do? 2) Why does the highway department put up a sign that says "Guardrail damage ahead" instead of just fixing the guardrail damage? PLEASE HELP!

Hmmm.

Got my attention! :D

Cause...:shifty:....It isn't official!!!!! :hyper:

yeah swoooooooooshy feeling.

HEllllllllloooooo lemonnade stand! :hyper: :lol:

perhaps it's not so much "fish" as in a label of the contents. maybe it's more like "fish!" as in an instruction to go and stand near a lake holding a fishing rod and freezing your butt off for several hours.

or maybe like "go fish!"

vlasak said:
Where should this go? I don't know the rules. If I had said "It's official, why...." would that have made it "official"?

I will move it to Lemonade Stand for you. :)

And yes "It's Official" would have made it official!

are you in the US?

maybe the DOT (department of transportation - national and state level) can help you. Did you check the web?

Well those are some interesting questions lol.

I have never seen a truck that said Fish on the back? :scratch:

And I suppose it takes more time to fix a guardrail than to put up a sign saying its broken :wink:

zoney! said:
are you in the US?

maybe the DOT (department of transportation - national and state level) can help you. Did you check the web?

Yes - Texas (OK, maybe that's part of the answer?) Anyway, DOT has "No idea what I'm talking about".

this is the only thing i've been able to find on the web about the FISH label...i know i've heard the reason somewhere before but i can't remember where.

what part of Texas are you from vlasak? i'm from Dallas :wave:

http://www.seafood-sales.com/faq2.htm

If it spells FISH, you can bet what's in there.
By Pete Wittenberg | Houston Post Staff

Fresh Seafood by any other name still spells "F-I-S-H" in large black letters on Texas refrigerated trucks.

Many motorists know the familiar sight: a truck rolling along the road with the bold declaration in capital letters painted on the back.

It's not there to sell fish. It's there to comply with state law. Legislation passed in 1985 after a ban on commercial redfish catches required vehicles transporting fresh fish to be marked by Texas Parks & Wildlife Department code, said TP&W Enforcement Commander Bill Robinson.

Since then, all sorts of notions by the public about the purpose of the lettering have sprung up.

"We've had lots of calls," Robinson said. "One person said he thought that meant they had a special place to park."

The question of what it meant occurred to Houston archaeologist Roger Moore, who called Roadside Attractions to find out. Before the new law, game wardens needed search warrants to inspect unmarked trucks.

"When you're dealing with fresh fish, you can't delay," Robinson said. Trucks leaving boat ramps that appeared to be "loaded heavy" or were dripping water from the back were inspection targets, he said.

Now, the 8-inch lettered designation generally signifies that a carrier is following licensing requirements and allows inspectors to concentrate on unmarked trucks that are automatically in violation, Robinson said. A change in the law a month ago means carriers may substitute one 6-inch label or a white-on-black Texas map decal, minus the FISH designation, for the previously required markings on the back and both sides of the truck.

Refrigerated trucks can be used alternately to carry ice cream or vegetables. "They had an objection to having FISH on them," Robinson said.

Last edited:
ABEL said:
this is the only thing i've been able to find on the web about the FISH label...i know i've heard the reason somewhere before but i can't remember where.

what part of Texas are you from vlasak? i'm from Dallas :wave:

http://www.seafood-sales.com/faq2.htm

You are the best! That is an excellent explanation! I am so happy one of my questions has been answered!
PS I'm from Austin.

Back
Top Bottom