fiona apple extraordinary machine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beegee

Neon Zebra
i got the cd in the mail yesterday, along with the cd/dvd dual disc set.

apparently they will be releasing both.

the album is gorgeous. but i love her so much that it's hard for me to be objective. the sound of the title track has changed from the earlier version that was leaked. the change is mostly in her voice.

the dvd includes the video for not about love, and live performances of extraordinary machine, river stay away from my door, paper bag, fast as you can, you belong to me, and parting gift.

red, red, red is an easy, easy, early favorite for me. completely obvious that it would be. on waltz (better than fine), she doesn't even need to start singing. i would be happy just to listen to her continue to play piano.

it's all very much typically fiona.

so you know, for fiona fans...hooray!

when you say they will be releasing both, were they packaged together? or will they have to be purchased separately?

and how would you compare the whole album to the leaked version?

while I like Jon Brion's work, it's nice to see her trying something different. because I think what he did on the "original" version is a bit too Brion-heavy, and not nearly as good as When the Pawn, which sounded more like a band effort.

lazarus said:
when you say they will be releasing both, were they packaged together? or will they have to be purchased separately?

and how would you compare the whole album to the leaked version?

while I like Jon Brion's work, it's nice to see her trying something different. because I think what he did on the "original" version is a bit too Brion-heavy, and not nearly as good as When the Pawn, which sounded more like a band effort.

i have two copies. one is the cd only, and the other is the cd/dvd dual disc set. it looks like you'll have a choice as to which one you want to buy. i fully recommend the one with the dvd. i watched it this morning and nearly flipped from loving it so much. her live performances are incredible. she's shy onstage, but there isn't even a hint of it in her voice. the video for not about love shows her playful side, which is rare. the last performance on the dvd of parting gift made me cry. i'm not kidding.

i never listened to the entire album as a whole when it was leaked, i only managed to hear a few tracks. i honestly can't say that i like one version of the title track more than the other, i'm just happy that there are two.

i'm much more of an emotional listener as opposed to a technical one.

I normally don't dig most female singers out there now, but Fiona Apple is truly unique and talented - in a class by herself! :wink:

bg84, are you saying you haven't heard the whole leaked album? ever? did you decline out of respect for Fi, or because you didn't want to hear an unfinished product? If the differences are that large (and with a new producer, they certainly will be), I'd think you'd give that one a lot of playing time as well. Despite being a step down from When The Pawn, it's still a brilliant recording.

I'm surprised that such a big fan wouldn't be devouring that shit. To me, it's just more music from a great artist, whether it's the version she wants me to be listening to or not. Besides, the new Liz Phair will be a piece of crap so I'll need some additional female singer/songwriter salve to make me feel better and pretend I'm back in the 1990's.

lazarus said:
bg84, are you saying you haven't heard the whole leaked album? ever? did you decline out of respect for Fi, or because you didn't want to hear an unfinished product?

yep. never heard the entire leaked album, just a few tracks. someone did email it to me, but i just really never wanted to hear it like that. i wanted to hear the finished product. i did, however, listen to the title track about a million times.

it wasn't really a matter of me being a huge fan, or devouring anything, i just didn't want to hear the songs like that.

i have been trying to get my hands on this cd for months now, even if it was never going to be released. i've been asking the person i got it from to see if she could get it for me, but it wasn't until after the announcement that it would be that she could help me.

i'm also very glad that the album art has changed from what was floating around the internet a while ago.

i think you're from the los angeles area. maybe you'd be interested in this:

from her website:

Fiona will be doing an in-store performance and autograph signing at Tower Records in West Hollywood, CA (8801 Sunset Blvd / 310 657-7300) on October 6th at 7pm. Beginning Tuesday October 4th, purchase Extraordinary Machine and receive a wristband to this very special performance. Fiona will be signing copies of her new release after the performance. Space is limited.

thanks for the tip. now that you have the "proper" version, will you go back and check out the leaked version to compare them? I mean, once the new stuff has staked its claim in your listening memory?

I didn't listen to the leaked version that much because I didn't want to become too attached to what may have been unfinished. But I guess we'll never know the whole true story about the material and why it was altered before release.

lazarus said:
thanks for the tip. now that you have the "proper" version, will you go back and check out the leaked version to compare them? I mean, once the new stuff has staked its claim in your listening memory?

I didn't listen to the leaked version that much because I didn't want to become too attached to what may have been unfinished. But I guess we'll never know the whole true story about the material and why it was altered before release.

hmm, no i don't think so. i'm so absolutely pleased with this album, it's been on repeat for two days now. the leaked version of the title track did pop up on my shuffle this morning and i realized that i *might* just lean a little towards that one in preference, but only because i like the pacing of her vocals better in it than on the cd.

i never thought of the material being altered so much as polished before it's release. it all had to do with sony not wanting to release the cd at all.

we do need a tour, badly. i have never seen her live and would love to.

bonosgirl84 said:

hmm, no i don't think so. i'm so absolutely pleased with this album, it's been on repeat for two days now. the leaked version of the title track did pop up on my shuffle this morning and i realized that i *might* just lean a little towards that one in preference, but only because i like the pacing of her vocals better in it than on the cd.

i never thought of the material being altered so much as polished before it's release. it all had to do with sony not wanting to release the cd at all.

we do need a tour, badly. i have never seen her live and would love to.

Hey Bonosgirl,

How can I tell if I have the leaked version or the finished version? I just downloaded one (I want to listen before I buy) and I want to make sure its the finisished version.

I am hoping to love it because my wife and I lost a lot of love for Fiona after seeing her live. Hoping it was an off night.

Dalton said:
Hey Bonosgirl,

How can I tell if I have the leaked version or the finished version? I just downloaded one (I want to listen before I buy) and I want to make sure its the finisished version.

I am hoping to love it because my wife and I lost a lot of love for Fiona after seeing her live. Hoping it was an off night.

the finished version that i have hasn't been released yet. the release date is october 4th. i just happen to have a very close relative who works for the ceo of sony and was tired of my begging so she sent me an early copy.

there was a very good article in entertainment weekly this week (thank you, zu42) in which fiona explains a lot of where she was coming from before and where she hopes to go. i think we'll be seeing a whole new fiona this time. i completely envy anyone who has seen her live, even if it was an off night.

i love the fact that in her liner notes she thanks "everyone from free fiona."

I saw her live. :sexywink:

In my podunk backwater Pennsylvania hometown, no less. I think it was on the When the Pawn... tour. I really enjoyed the show.

How different is the finished product from what I am listening to? This version seems to lack a bit of her "magic".

Solid - but not spectacular. (of course, this is after two times through. I withhold the right to completely change my opinion at any time. Fickle)

Dalton said:
How different is the finished product from what I am listening to?

i kind of talked about that in some of my other posts here in this thread.

the album is fucking brilliant

i can't believe that anyone who hears it won't love it completely.

bonosgirl84 said:

i kind of talked about that in some of my other posts here in this thread.

the album is fucking brilliant

i can't believe that anyone who hears it won't love it completely.

K - I went back and read the rest of the post. I can't wait to heare the official release. I agree with Laz on this one, its a good solid album, but as of right now I don't think that it is as strong as "When the Pawn". Though my wife (a pianist) is thoroughly digging the piano throughout.

It will be very interesting to see how much the album has changed with a new producer.

wow...ok

earlier this week i had a very long conversation with the very dear HeadsOnSticks (older posters will remember him well), and he insisted that i hear the leaked material before i go around proclaiming the new cd to be "fucking brilliant" and then sent me a copy of the leaked songs.

well, i just finished listening to them, and i'm (not so) sorry, but he was right.

the cd, compared to these eleven songs that i am hearing now, is like, Fiona Lite. it's good - it's very good - but these songs are incredible. the sound is much more raw, less produced, less slick. even window which is my least favorite track on the cd sounds amazing.

lol, this is crazy. now i'm not sure what to think.

plays The Hives: "Hate to say I told you so"...

I'm still dying to hear the "official version".
But as is usually the case, an artist's first instincts are usually their best (e.g. POP new mixes).

lazarus said:
plays The Hives: "Hate to say I told you so"...

:lol:

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying i don't still absolutely love the cd, i was just really surprised that there was such a big difference in the sound. i think it's all really quite cool. it's almost like having two cds.

i also like the version of please, please, please much better on the cd.

sweetest, it was leaked on the internet. maybe someone still has a link for her?

Back
Top Bottom