Final Harry Potter Book Title. (enter if you want)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Angela Harlem said:

I need to state outright here that every prediction or guess I have ever made on Harry Potter has been blatantly and wildly wrong when the new book has subsequently come out :lol:

oh but that is the fun part! (see below!)

But...I keep coming back to one hard truth. She has always defended these books with this, and it is a strong theme through each, that it is essentially the good beating evil formula - the tried and true age old battle. Also, in a practical sense, each of the books up to this point have taken place over a year and have coincided with his years at school. It stands to reason that this needs to continue, but as we all know, given the ending of the last one, this is going to prove tricky to resume. With that said, though, where else can this battle take place? Will this book be set over a year? How can the school actually close? But how can the school actually re-open? Where, physically, will this next book take place? She has so far given very little detail to any wizarding environment beyond Hogwarts and Diagon Alley and the town. Then there are the key characters which need to continue on, and presumably assist in the coming book; Professor McGonagall, Hagrid, Mr Weasley, and so on. I'd bank on likely victims as being perhaps one significant on each side: say, Lucius Malfoy and Hagrid? Even Draco.

It is hard to figure out where it will take place. Like you I can't imagine it open or closed. My money is on (really does anybody else think someone could make some bucks with a betonharrypotter.com site? Damn US gambling laws!) the school officially being shut but people like McGonnagall will work to keep it open as some sort of semi-safe haven that can't quite function as a school. Maybe many adult wizards will move their families into the school grounds and band together to defend it, or a similar thing with the Ministry headquarters.

I was really disapointed at the end of book 6 to realize that it was the last book in which I would be able to experience the Hogwarts magic. One of the things I've always loved most about the books is all the semi-superfluous, fun little bits about class and the commons and other not-so-plot-advancing scenes, and I have criticized book 6 for having less of even though in interviews JK seems to think it's a good thing she's cut down on it. So I was really sad to see that book 7 would probably have none of that, Dumbledore or not. But. It will be very exciting to get to know other wizarding world locations, including (hopefully) Godric's Hollow. I bet there are other towns like Hogsmeade. Check this out: http://www.hp-lexicon.org/atlas/atlas.html for a full index of known locations. (That site is AMAZING.)

I'm sure the book will be set over the year, I can't imagine any reason to deviate from that besides an epilogue (like the prologue-type 11-years-previously bit in book 1).

All the children who read Harry Potter might hate me but I actually wouldn't be too heartbroken to see Hagrid go. He is probably the only major or semi-major character on the good side that I wouldn't shed a tear for (ok, I probably will). His bumbling ways have always been irritating to me, not endearing. I would love to see Draco die, early in the book, just so that blond guy can't be in most of the 7th movie. Not that I watch the movies anymore.

Back to Snape - what you said about the constant theme of good and evil running through the books. Harry Potter has always been black and white on good and evil. There is a rainbow of grey when it comes to the right course of action, but it's more of a Star Wars than an (showing my elementary/middle school geekiness here) Animorphs when it comes to good and evil: it is clear that there is only good and evil, that there is very little in the space between. Sure the Minister ignored the fact that Voldemort was rising, the Giants and others have been exploited and therefore we must judge them with different set of standards if they choose the dark side. But there is clearly the Dumbledore side and the dark side, the Harry vs the Voldemort. That's where Snape comes in. If he is indeed playing both sides for solely his own advantage, instead of working for one and skying against the other, then he is the only one in the middle, the only major character who is not acting on principle when with the good side, or loyalty/fear (and yes, therefore self interest) when with the dark side. I don't really know where I'm going with this, other than that it's a nice bit of complexity that was maybe missing from the novels.

Snape working only for himself would explain, too, why he tries to help Harry despite killing Dumbledore, why he tries to strengthen both sides. He must hedge his bets, and he must try to make sure that no one person gets so powerful they are unchecked, because that would create the ultimate tyranny and become a threat even to him and his shrewd smoothness. So he plays Harry and Dumbledore and the Order off Voldemort, and even after killing Dumbledore might switch to try and balance that blow by striking a blow to the dark side - of course by killing Dumbeldore he'd have eliminated his excuse for his slights to the Dark Lord so maybe that's moot. Anyway this theory is getting too complicated - as complex and intricate as the plots are, and as amazing as it is that she has been weaving clues and consistencies into every book for 15 years to come to the final conclusion, the middle ground between good and evil is the one sort of complexity she's missed.

I don't mean this as a criticism, that was just some thinking out loud, so to speak, but interesting, even if none of it will ever be in the book.

Varitek said:

..All the children who read Harry Potter might hate me but I actually wouldn't be too heartbroken to see Hagrid go. He is probably the only major or semi-major character on the good side that I wouldn't shed a tear for (ok, I probably will). His bumbling ways have always been irritating to me, not endearing. I would love to see Draco die, early in the book, just so that blond guy can't be in most of the 7th movie. Not that I watch the movies anymore.

:lol: I love this. I hope Draco get his just desserts, too. But only because I cant stand the snivelling little shit! His link to the darkness of Slytherin is never played up to make him a worthwhile character - he seems like filler, the kind of guy everyone knows at school who you just spend all the time clashing with. His fathers' arrest made me happier than I care to admit in adult circles :lol: Either way, I am banking on something drastic and public happening to someone in that shit stinking gene pool! Excuse my language, lol. I think Lucius's shoddy life is going to come crashing down. I have suspected him of being instrumental - despite for the obvious reasons, he has never shown much interest in the day to day. His attention seems always on bigger things, things which are not explained though. His contempt of the Weasleys is circumstantial, his getting Dumbledore removed from position of headmaster - all seemed a bit by rote. He's always been doing one thing but thinking of something else. Such a long line of Slytherin is going to know more than has been let on surely, too.

I'll confess one hope I have, and that is to continue in another series, books on the adult lives of the 3 of them. Without Harry being such a hero, too, as I confess that Harry drives me a little mad. Iinfact his character outright bugs me a lot of the time.

Perhaps the school will be held under siege, and there will be a war fought with Voldemort's crew on the outside and everyone else holed up on the inside! Kind of like a reverse version of Small Soldiers :lol: Or is that Toy Soldiers? The movie with the boys boarding school being held hostage. :D

Varitek said:
That's where Snape comes in. If he is indeed playing both sides for solely his own advantage, instead of working for one and skying against the other, then he is the only one in the middle, the only major character who is not acting on principle when with the good side, or loyalty/fear (and yes, therefore self interest) when with the dark side. I don't really know where I'm going with this, other than that it's a nice bit of complexity that was maybe missing from the novels.

I'm not really sure though why Snape being out for himself necessarily makes him a complex character. The way I see it, if Snape betrayed and murdered Dumbledore, the only person who trusted and protected him, then he's evil whatever his allegiances might be. One doesn't have to be loyal to the "official" bad side to be evil IMO. In fact I think he'd be more despicable than Voldemort and his Death Eaters, who at the very least make no bones about their evilness.

Besides, I really doubt that JKR meant Snape to be some uber-mastermind who's manipulating sides for his own gain. These series are ultimately about Harry vs. Voldemort and Snape, though he may generate more discussion than all the other characters, is and has always been a sideshow.

I think rather that Snape's contribution to the complexity might be that he is fighting on the good side while at the same time being a genuinely awful human being with no secret heart of gold whatsoever, :)

About Draco: while I'm sure that dear Lucius is toast I unfortunately think that the sixth book set up Draco to do something decent or brave in the next book. I don't expect the white bouncing ferret to join the Order or help Harry or magically turn into a nicer person but I think he will contribute to Voldemort's defeat somehow.

Darn, I was gonna start a new thread about the release date, but then I remembered this thread exists :(

So uh...anyone know any German bookstores that will be opening at 1am europe time/midnight gmt? or do I have to find a cheap ticket into london?

Deathly Hallows cover art released today:

dhus.jpg

dhusfull.jpg

Let the analyzing begin :love:

Hmmm..... Shadowy people in the background---probably Death Eaters. I wonder what they're looking at, too. Funny to see that there are curtains on both sides----like the curtains are ready to close. The curtain in front of Harry is still tied, but Voldemort's is open---like the curtain will close on him...but Harry is safe. :hmm:

Yes, I think about this too much. I also have long, drawn-out theories on how Voldie's going to die (he has Harry's love-imprinted blood coursing through him...), how Snape is, in fact, good afterall...etc....but I'm too lazy to write them out at the moment. :wink:

(p.s.--Should this be moved to the regular ol' Lemonade Stand? It's related to the book, not the movie at all....and may get more interest there :shrug: )

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:
I had a dream last night that Jo changed the title of the book and it was far better. I forgot it once I woke up. Oh well.

:lmao:

Wow. You are a nerd! Thanks, that line made my day.

I can't remember every having harry potter dreams, but I had two or three Heart of Darkness dreams when I was in school.

Varitek said:

I was really disapointed at the end of book 6 to realize that it was the last book in which I would be able to experience the Hogwarts magic. One of the things I've always loved most about the books is all the semi-superfluous, fun little bits about class and the commons and other not-so-plot-advancing scenes

I agree 100% Varitek. That was my main criticism of the 4th movie. I felt that it was too dark right away. Part of the 'magic' of the GoF is that it starts off so warm and wonderful (the burrow and the QWC) and gets soiled by the death eaters. I think that book really is about the lack of innocence, but the movie never shows the innocence.

Any ways, now that Harry has shown his man material to the world, I suppose innocence is out of the question! :wink:

From the back of the UK Adult version:

"The spellbinding, richly woven narrative, which plunges, twists and turns at a breathtaking pace confirms the author as a mistress of storytelling ..."

Am I the only one that thinks that Storytelling should have married her by now?

:wink:

Dalton said:

:lmao:

Wow. You are a nerd! Thanks, that line made my day.

I can't remember every having harry potter dreams, but I had two or three Heart of Darkness dreams when I was in school.

Indeed, although that is not quite the extent of my nerdom. I'm a Discworld fan too. :wink:

GibsonGirl said:

Indeed, although that is not quite the extent of my nerdom. I'm a Discworld fan too. :wink:

Ha ha.

I got a dirty look from a college girl last week in Cancun. she was sitting near my wife and I reading American pastoral, so we struck up a conversation about literature that lasted for about 45 minutes until she asked me what I was reading - I pulled out the Chamber of Secrets.

Apparently she expected better of me? :wink:

Kiki said:
anyone know how to get the UK version of the books if you're in America? I do mean, without actually going there to get them.
haha

Amazon.co.uk or Waterstones.com. I think Waterstone's shipping is less expensive, but the book will take longer to arrive.

A few more cover tidbits:

Harry's got a locket around his neck, most likely Slytherin's locket...and most likely the real one.

They're not using wands. So, either they're both reaching for something, or Harry's gotten so strong he can do magic without a wand...:hmm:

Newsweek or US News or somebody claimed that Harry doesn't have his scar on the cover, which would be pretty significant. However, if you look at the large version U2girl posted, I think it's there..but looks kind of like hair.

Back
Top Bottom