Fellowship of the Ring!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
Wednesday night I had the absolute greatest movie-going experience EVER!! It's films like this that remind people why they even go to movies in the first place.
There's more to it then just big special effects, though they are cool...the movie, like the books, have the themes of friendship, loyalty, courage, sacrifice, and love interwoven throughout. I was so emotionally charged when I got home I could not get to sleep for hours!

All I can say is WOW! I shall be seeing this gaian...and again...and again.

"Even the smallest person can change the course of time"

------------------
If you take a drive, I'll tax the street
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat
If you get too cold, I'll tax your heat
If you talk a walk, I'll tax your feet
I'm the taxman!

I'm going Sunday with one of my girl friends (not girlfriend, mind you), then Christmas Day with my parents, and next weekend with this dude Solomon that I work with.

I already read about 30 reviews from various newspapers on the net and they are all great, only 3 of them were undicided about the movie - not one negative!
I have to wait for the movie untill january 17th, it's a long wait!!!

------------------
"Everyone loves me
everyone thinks I'm georgeous
they wait for their turn to meet me..." - Me, 2001.

i can't wait to see it, should i read the book first or jsut go and see the movie??
smile.gif

------------------
And if you look, you look through me.

L'amore giunger
L'amore
E non so pi pregare
E nell'amore non so pi sperare
E quell'amore non so pi aspettare
miss_smith@emailaccount.com e-mail me :)
The perpetually handsome Mullen appears to have stopped ageing around the time of The Joshua Tree.
"It doesn't matter what songs we sing.
I'm a drummer. Chicks dig me." -Larry
Larry likes to play drums." - Bono
"Larry's always been noticed cos he's the pretty one." - Adam
"Bono, if you still haven't found what you're looking for, look behind the drumkit." - Boy George
A man so handsome, he will never be let sing in this group!"
-Bono, introducing Larry at Irving Plaza, NYC 2000

Go see the movie! Then sit down and read the books. You'll have images and faces to put to everything.
smile.gif

btw, U2LA put up my review of this movie at his website www.currentlyplaying.com ! go check it out.
biggrin.gif

-sula

I just got back from seeing this movie. It certainly was a very excellent movie. I loved, loved, loved Gandalf. Oh, he was so perfect. He is my favourite character and he couldn't have been better. My friend who I went with likes Legolas best and she thought he was awesome too, as I did. (She said "I'd like to take him home with me!"
biggrin.gif
)

Now, don't take this as a huge criticism if you really loved the movie. I just wanted to say this: it is a great movie and I will definitely see it again, and I can't imagine anyone ever doing it much better. But it was in many ways a different vision of The Lord of the Rings from mine. Tolkien to me is like a medieval tapestry, whereas this was very Gothic and brought out the darker aspects very strongly. In many cases I thought that worked great, but I felt there were some bits that were dark and eerie that should have been more bright and hopeful. My other criticisms were that the last battle scene was unnecessarily nasty (I don't like violence), the battles were a bit too protracted, and the orcs were generally just too gross. Actually, I felt all the monsters were a bit too horror-ish. The orcs were just too Night of the Living Dead. I see them as very nasty, but not THAT icky. But that's just my personal take. And a few times someone acted overboard (like the Galadriel scene.) Also, even though they cut a lot of stuff and it was still very long, it felt like they blew through some scenes so fast that things didn't get explained and developed properly. And the same goes for character development. It's hard to do enough in a movie when you have a lot of action to cover. I felt like with several of the characters, you got no more than a glimpse of what their personalities were like, whereas in the book you find out a lot about them. But basically, it was an extremely well acted movie which looked great and had real emotion and class. I still feel that it is a book which it is impossible to really do justice too--and I have to admit that I'm a bit relieved I still feel that way--but they came as close to doing complete justice to it as anyone's going to.

------------------
You say you want
Diamonds on a ring of gold
Your story to remain untold
Your love not to grow cold

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 12-21-2001).]

I disagree with your opinion on the orcs, if I may.
If you had read the books or the silmarillion you have read that orcs are elves captured that have been twisted and tortured over thousands of years to produce a perverted and completely evil race of creatures. I don't see any exaggeration in their apperance.

I loved the battle scenes. The death of boromir was very moving!

I agree, when Galadriel turned all colors and got really scary it was a bit too eccentric, but what can ya do?
smile.gif

------------------
If you take a drive, I'll tax the street
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat
If you get too cold, I'll tax your heat
If you talk a walk, I'll tax your feet
I'm the taxman!

I'm pretty excited to see it. Don't know when I will though. I'm glad to see all the good reviews!
smile.gif

------------------
She not waiting on a saviour to come
She's at a bus stop with the news of the world and the sun sun here it comes
She's not waiting for anyone

The Lemon Pure PopAngel

Originally posted by Basstrap:
I disagree with your opinion on the orcs, if I may.
If you had read the books or the silmarillion you have read that orcs are elves captured that have been twisted and tortured over thousands of years to produce a perverted and completely evil race of creatures. I don't see any exaggeration in their apperance.

You may actually be right about that, but you know how it is--when you have read a book many times you get an image of how things are in your head, and sometimes that image isn't EXACTLY the way the book describes--I know that may seem paradoxical, but that's how it is for me. I just really never imagined the orcs being that gross looking. But maybe their appearance in the movie was more justified than I originally thought.

------------------
You say you want

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 12-21-2001).]

I'm re-reading the Silmarillion, and in all actuality, I'm picturing the orcs more grotesquely than the films. The Silmarillion is, however, much darker than even LotR was compared to the Hobbit.

I absolutely did NOT want to see this movie. I've never read Tolkien and am not much of a fan of the fantasy genre.

That being said, the film was so wonderful! It wasn't just about using special effects to create fantastic, unreal scenarios and characters. It had so much humanity in it--as someone else said, loyalty, lust for power, friendship, courage.

If anyone is skeptical of seeing this movie, as I was, just go see it. The story is marvelous, and the visual aspect is breathtaking.

I'll be seeing it either tonight or tomorrow. I have heard shockingly glorious things about this movie.

If it isn't the most profound experience of my life I will be very disappointed.

------------------
"But either in his dreams or out of them, he could not tell which, Frodo heard a sweet singing running in his mind: a song that seemed to come like a pale light behind a grey rain-curtain, and growing stronger to turn the veil all to glass and silver, until at last it was rolled back, and a far green country opened before him under a swift sunrise."

from "The Fellowship of the Ring"

I was fortunate enough to see this movie Wed. night in New York City after seeing a matinee performance of the Producers. What a great day in NYC! My husband is the Tolkien fan and got tickets online - no waiting in line - Yeah! I have only read the Hobbit and that was a looong time ago, but I really enjoyed this movie and will probably read the other books now. My only critisism of the movie was the length, however, it may have just been me at the end of a very long day in New York. We're seeing it again with some friends tonight so it will be interesting to see if it feels as long as it did Wednesday.

And by the way, The Producers was awesome. Unfortunately Nathan Lane doesn't do matinee performances so that was a little disappointing, but the understudy was great. If you have the chance to see this musical don't pass it up. And it you plan on getting tickets for anytime within the next century, buy them now. We'd had our tickets since May!

I'm seeing it in an hour and a half with some friends... I hope to see it again sometime with my girlfriend, unless i hate it. I've heard tons and tons of good things about it..

and how about this? on imdb.com it is the top rated movie with 9.6/10 after like 10000 votes, and at www.rottentomatoes.com which archives reviews of movies from all over, it has received 96 positive reviews and 4 negative ones. So it probably is pretty damn good. I'll know for myself soon.

Well it wasn't the most profound experience of my life.. and yet I wasn't too disappointed.
wink.gif

Basically, I would have to agree with everything the scattered one has said. Your view of the book seems to be very close to mine.
Gandalf was as close to perfect as could be expected. Seriously, I don't think they could have found a better actor for the part. I completely agree with Legolas as well. He's pretty much how I envisioned the elves. Of course Frodo is the one who really has to carry this series through, and I think what's-his-face (LOL.. can't think of his name) did a great job. There is a balance of vulnerability and strength in Frodo that I think what's-his-name captured very well. I thought the actors who played all of the other characters were also very appropriate, but those three in particular were excellent. I agree with you about that Galadriel scene. It was a bit much.

One thing I really loved about this movie was the "atmosphere." The lighting, cinematography, and overall production was very well done. I thought the special effects were seemless, although that Galadriel scene almost seemed a little out of place. That cave troll was very cool, and suitably menacing.

Even though some huge parts were left out, they did manage to do a pretty good job of developing the characters with what they were working with. I thought the scene at the end that left no question about the strength of the bond between Sam and Frodo was very touching.

I am really looking forward to the next movie.

Originally posted by travu2:
the strength of the bond between Sam and Frodo was very touching.

OMG!!! Mum said, on the way home, she tinks both Frodo and Sam might have a wee 'thing' there, I was like 'WHAT?
eek.gif
Ma they are not together in real life
biggrin.gif
'....she said its how they looked lovingly at each other at the end in the boat...........watch this space!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Anyway, yes I saw the movie and all I want to say to express myself is:

Oh happiness rock the mother lords, big fling picture and abscess, huge horses and domineering scenes, big thunderdrum and ride the waves of the swooping camera, lets fly the world and into the scenes, tiny boys next to huge wizards and a gift of intelligence by a director, a gift of wizardery and happy souls, true love on a bridge, a dark-hooded pile of sex in the corner lighting up, capture the dark sins with white wash, cry with the move of the sounds with singing non-vocal and lay and be comfortable in surround of a full place while huge up there takes over ur mind and leaves u feeling happy to be alive!!!!!!!!!!

ya all got that? (if anyone wants a translation, I'd be happy to give!)

In fact MR UNFORGETTABLE LEMON!!!
I wanted to mail u over this, can I mail u over this?????????

Originally posted by mad1:

OMG!!! Mum said, on the way home, she tinks both Frodo and Sam might have a wee 'thing' there, I was like 'WHAT?
eek.gif
Ma they are not together in real life
biggrin.gif
'....she said its how they looked lovingly at each other at the end in the boat...........watch this space!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

True Sam and Frodo have a close relationship...based on the relationships Tolkien himself forged in the trenchs of WWI...but that is the main reason they introduced the character of Rosie Cotton so early in the movie(she comes around later in the books) to show that Sam is at least a heterosexual hobbit...
biggrin.gif

The movie is great. I saw it twice. I had some minor problems with it but not enough to dull my enjoyment of it.

A lot of people have a problem letting go of *their* vision of Middle Earth....hence their lack of enjoyment of the movie...but most people come around if they see it more than once...

dream wanderer

Originally posted by dream wanderer:
A lot of people have a problem letting go of *their* vision of Middle Earth....hence their lack of enjoyment of the movie...but most people come around if they see it more than once...

Well, for someone like me it's important NOT to let go of *my* vision of Middle Earth, since I have a major emotional attachment to it. For me, the movie--which I will certainly see again--was more a case of placing Jackson's version and my version side by side and comparing, seeing where they were different and where they were similar. There were many similarities, and many differences. Overall I felt that it was a different vision from mine, but in a way, that made it more interesting.

But when I read the books again, which I want to do soon, I'm not just going to allow the movie vision to take over. My own personal vision is still foremost in my mind.

------------------
You say you want

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 12-24-2001).]

Aww Thanks Jason!!!!!
smile.gif

Anyway Im gonna go see it again, nearer the end of Jan/beginning of Feb cause Im taking my friends little bro and his mate, gonna treat them to see it at the Odyssey, the best place to see it.......to be honest I need to see it again anyway, cause halfway through the film I was getting a sore head from being seated up too close to the screen, therefore lost concentration on it......but still my fav scene is all four hobbits hiding under the tree and the camera looks up at the huge Ringwrath (?), or wasnt that the owner of the ring (?) (cannie remember)....I was like
icon26.gif
, and the bit where big wizard (sorry RIGHT now I dont have list of names and aint arsed searchin while Im typin), is pulled down into pit with huge firey monster....all before that too.......I was nearly cwying!!!!!!! (also the sad singing there
frown.gif
)

frown.gif

*sniff sniff*

But the BEST FECKING BIT for me was Strider in the corner of the room lightin his ciggie up and his eyes covered......*swooooooon*

very much a magical film, and the best thing about fantasy films is that its suitable for all ages.........
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

so Jason, what about u then??????

(I will mail ya soon boy boy!)

Actually, Maddie, I'm making a cameo in The Two Towers. I'll be with these cool cats called the Riders of Rohan, but I'll only be there for a few seconds. I get shot by an orc! But then again, maybe it's not me. I can only imagine. Actually, I'd rather be an elf, but I'm not quite built for an elf. More like a dwarf, but taller.

With Boromir and Faramir already in the movies, I think I should be offered a part as well!

Back
Top Bottom