Fela Kuti

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boosterjuice

Refugee
Has anyone heard any of Fela Kuti's music?

Someone recommended that I take a listen to them but I can't find much on the web about them.

I can't tell you much about the music itself but I've heard of him in documentaries and stuff.

Fela Kuti was Nigerian and he pioneered this jazz/funk style with African rhythms called 'Afro-beat'. His band was called 'The Africa 70'. He sang songs about Nigeria, Africa and criticised his government in his lyrics. He was beaten several times and I think in the end he might have been killed (or he might have died of natural causes, I'm not sure). He's an artiste I've been meaning to check out for quite some time now.

yertle-the-turtle said:
I can't tell you much about the music itself but I've heard of him in documentaries and stuff.

Fela Kuti was Nigerian and he pioneered this jazz/funk style with African rhythms called 'Afro-beat'. His band was called 'The Africa 70'. He sang songs about Nigeria, Africa and criticised his government in his lyrics. He was beaten several times and I think in the end he might have been killed (or he might have died of natural causes, I'm not sure). He's an artiste I've been meaning to check out for quite some time now.

Thanks for the info.

Sounds like his music would be quite interesting. I might have break down and buy a CD of his.

I had the great good fortune to marry a Fela fan. We went to see him play at the Greek Theatre many, many moons ago. Jimmy Cliff opened. It was an evening of sublime, grooving, wonderful music. Fela's music is African grooves, call and response, guitar-laden, anti-government 20-minute long songs sung in the language spoken in Nigeria (which I can't remember the name of right at this minute).

I can compare him to King Sunny Ade, but Fela had more of an edge; King Sunny's music is more pop-oriented and lighter. (Although I nearly danced myself sick at his concert.)

I can't tell you what album to start with, but definitely get a record and listen. Youi will find yourself moving to it, cursing the Nigerian government in a language you didn't know you knew.

Back
Top Bottom