Favourite 'Hard' Records?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hey folks
well im never one to listen to HARD music but if theres something intelligent and the music serves a purpose ill dig it

anyway for me, i can list about a few hard records i can put on and never not play again

the manic street preachers' - the holy bible, those of you who were introduced to poppy 'this is my truth tell me yours', 'gold against the soul' or 'everything must go' will be in for a rude shock, this is one of the darkest records made in history

VAST- Visual Audio Sensory Theatre- great music, but it IS hard

Tool- Undertow

actually most of Tool's albums are great

[COLOR=royal blue]GnR is as hard as I go

Use Your Illusion II :drool:

OK I think I'm out of place now.............
[/COLOR] :eek:

What is hard?

I like to listen to the Velvet Underground & Nico sometimes. Some songs are really sweet (Femme Fatale, I'll Be Your Mirror), some others can get quite loud (Heroin, European Son). Same with their album White Light, White Heat. There are many 'hard' records out there that are great and still listenable. It just depends on the moment. IMHO, U2's All I Want Is You can be very hard, if you only hear the part around the 4:00 mark, with Bono wailing and Edge's guitar going overdrive.

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn said:
What is hard?

I like to listen to the Velvet Underground & Nico sometimes. Some songs are really sweet (Femme Fatale, I'll Be Your Mirror), some others can get quite loud (Heroin, European Son). Same with their album White Light, White Heat. There are many 'hard' records out there that are great and still listenable. It just depends on the moment. IMHO, U2's All I Want Is You can be very hard, if you only hear the part around the 4:00 mark, with Bono wailing and Edge's guitar going overdrive.

C ya!

Marty

WUSS!

someone give me some Nine Inch Nails, Defttones and System of a down already!

CrashedCarDriver said:

WUSS!

someone give me some Nine Inch Nails, Defttones and System of a down already!

Nah, I prefer Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music :) (with the VU's I Heard Her Call My Name as a close second).

C ya!

Marty

Faith No More
Living Colour
RHCP (old stuff)
Deep Purple
Rainbow
Whitesnake
Peter Hammill (his stuff with the K-group in the 80s)
Clash (okay, punk can also be pretty hard, doesn't it?)
Pearl Jam
Nirvana

anna

i dont think hard necessarily means bad. there is a lot of hard music that is has a more important message, and is just groovier at times. though u2 does not make hard records (the closest would be like "elevation", "the fly"), their music isn't bad either. i don't like it when people say they want a "hard" record from u2.... i like music that sounds good, that's all.... sorry for getting off on a tangent.

anyway, "hard" bands that i like are

Tool - probably the best metal band out
System of a Down
Filter
KoRn

but

they aren't close to my favorite bands

I think you meant to reply to a thread instead of post a new topic.

You have to hit "reply" instead of "post". :wink:

I will put this in the proper thread now.

Well I tend to like some harder bands.
Have seen Metallica 4 times, Van Halen 7 times, Rob Zombie 5 times, Motley Crue 9 times, Pearl Jam 8 times, The Scorpions 5 times,Guns & Roses 4 times, Aerosmith 8 times, among others. Though there is much harder music than that around.
Was quite impressed with System of a Down at this year's OZZfest. Not impressed by P.O.D. however.

Last edited:
Another vote for Tool, but I'd go with Aenima and Lateralus. I saw these guys for the second time last Friday and they just blow most bands out of the water instrumentally. The lyrics aren't shabby either and Maynard's got the best voice I've ever heard for a hard rock band. For those that think Tool is too hard, you may want to listen to A Perfect Circle. As for another good hard album, I'd go with Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss.

smashing pumpkins
pearl jam
rhcp
living end
stone temple pilots
janes addiction
a bit of metallica now and then and i can even go a few korn songs.
ok most of those are kinda grunge...

System of a down
Tool
Cradle of Filth
HIM
Social Distortion
GnR :)up: @ Mona :D)
American Head Charge

Metallica

3 words:

Master of Puppets

oh...3 more words:

Ride the Lightning

When I was younger and U2 was on "hiatus" between Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby I was what you could call a reallllll :banghead: ...that's right...a headbanger!!!

I'm talking Metallica, Anthrax, Exodus, Testament, Megadeth, Metal Church...the list goes embarrasingly on.

:reject: :reject:

I luuuuuurve hard music, I was only rocking out to Nirvana's Nevermind ont he weekend and realised how much I have neglected my cravings for 'hard' music.....I always listen to Jane's Addiction and I would describe them as hard, especially songs like 'three days' and 'pigs in zen' other great hard artists that I like include,

Soundgarden- Outshine and Jesus christ pose are the definitive Soundgarden tracks

Pantera- cowboys from hell is a great album

Sepultura- roots is their greatest work, excellent if you like a bit of tribal brazilian soul in your metal

tool- all tool is wicked, but I might go so far as to say that their ep 'opiate' is the best

living color- great, great, great band sometimes they can be mellow, but generally they are quite hard and metal, album 'vivid' is the best

Black Sabbath- paranoid, I guess you could say that this is where it all began, Ozzy is the master of metal and having a 'hard' sound

Dead Kennedys- hard punk with a conscience- 'Holiday in Cambodia' is the definitive DK- note best way to reffer to the Dead Kennedys is just as 'DK':)

Rollins Band- now I know that Henry has said some bad stuff about U2 and Bono, but hey the fact is that he has made some great music over the years with his first band 'Black Flag' and then on his own, his last album that came out last year was especially good

and for the Aussies out there Radio Birdman- these guys so rocked in the early eighties, there album 'radios appear' is excellent and should be owned by any Aussie who likes hard sounding music:)

I highly recommend picking up anything by the Afghan Whigs. Although they're hard to categorize (certainly not metal), they are a hard-edged thinking man's rock n' roll. One of the real undiscovered gems of the 1990's. I really like Pearl Jam and give acknowledgement to some of the other grunge bands, but Greg Dulli and the Whigs just have so much more going on in their records than anything from Seattle. All the albums are incredible concept albums that flow like little else these ears have heard.
If you want accessible, start with their last album, 1965. If you want a harder edge, less polished, get their major debut, Gentlemen. Finish with the middle effort, Black Love - literally one of the best albums of the 1990's.

Back
Top Bottom