Favorite R.E.M. album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Favorite R.E.M. album?

• Fables Of The Reconstruction

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Document

• Out Of Time

• Monster

• New Adventures In Hi-Fi

• Reveal

• Around The Sun

• Accelerate

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And not to be an asshole, but if Document gets only one song in this thing, I am going to encourage everyone to boycott the Survivor until it gets rectified.

Oh, this better not be the deciding poll for the fucking song count.

Cancel that shit right now. We need to do an album survivor first instead of this.

Yeah :rockon: ALBUM SURVIVOR :rockon:

Oh, this better not be the deciding poll for the fucking song count.

Cancel that shit right now. We need to do an album survivor first instead of this.

You want to go through all that first?

This is how it was decided for the Zeppelin survivor, and that turned out just fine.

I think mr. lazarus and I are agreeing. Weird feel.

I have an idea. Let's be a little brave and just agree that Reveal, Around the Sun, Green, and Accelerate are just bottom tier. One song.

I'm not a fan of Reckoning, but I know it has its supporters. Give that and Fables and maybe Out of Time 2 songs, along with Monster and Up, which I love but it ain't a masterpiece.

The rest get 4.

Was that so hard?

Yeah, I shouldn't have rushed to give my vote to Automatic, seeing how many votes it has right now. If I could redo it, I'd lob the birdie over to Document. The first R.E.M. album I bought, and still a favorite. Alas. I think we will survive. There's a good chance the sun will rise tomorrow morning. And, as a wiser man than me once said...

"Oh, the weather outside is weather!"

Dude, at least admit you're in the minority. Most people don't think it's a very good album.

I'm trying to be objective and not just rank my favs.

Take it easy, I'm just messing with you. I don't use smiles I'm serious. :wink:
Yeah, I know. But Green is not loved too? I wasn't expecting that one... :ohmy:

I have an idea. Let's be a little brave and just agree that Reveal, Around the Sun, Green, and Accelerate are just bottom tier. One song.

I'm not a fan of Reckoning, but I know it has its supporters. Give that and Fables and maybe Out of Time 2 songs, along with Monster and Up, which I love but it ain't a masterpiece.

The rest get 4.

Was that so hard?

I agree with your assessment. As far as I've observed, it generally breaks down like this:

1. Automatic
2. Lifes Rich Pageant
3. Murmur
4. New Adventures
--------------------
5. Document
6. Fables
7. Reckoning
8. Out Of Time
9. Up
10. Monster
--------------------
11. Accelerate
12. Green
13. Reveal
14. Around The Sun

I agree with your assessment. As far as I've observed, it generally breaks down like this:

1. Automatic
2. Lifes Rich Pageant
3. Murmur
4. New Adventures
--------------------
5. Document
6. Fables
7. Reckoning
8. Out Of Time
9. Up
10. Monster
--------------------
11. Accelerate
12. Green
13. Reveal
14. Around The Sun

That looks cool to me. Swing, batter.

Yeah, I shouldn't have rushed to give my vote to Automatic, seeing how many votes it has right now. If I could redo it, I'd lob the birdie over to Document. The first R.E.M. album I bought, and still a favorite. Alas. I think we will survive. There's a good chance the sun will rise tomorrow morning. And, as a wiser man than me once said...

"Oh, the weather outside is weather!"

OK, if people are having second thoughts about what they voted for because they want to protect something else, this method of deciding the song distribution isn't going to work. Reasons that it worked so well for the Zeppelin survivor:

1. It ran for months prior
2. There were fewer albums to choose from
3. People were not informed of the purpose of the poll beforehand

We'll start a proper album survivor on Tuesday. Sorry to waste your time with this thread; I jumped the gun a bit.

Okay, time to recruit the homeless to vote for ATS then.

I really think Document should be bumped up into that top tier. It's fucking SEMINAL.

Also #5 on Rolling Stones Top 100 albums of the 80's?

Come on.

The two singles alone are two of their biggest tracks, and Finest Worksong? Forget about it.

Best opening 4 tracks of any album I can think of, too, at least in their discography.

I really think Document should be bumped up into that top tier. It's fucking SEMINAL.

Also #5 on Rolling Stones Top 100 albums of the 80's?

Come on.

The two singles alone are two of their biggest tracks, and Finest Worksong? Forget about it.

Best opening 4 tracks of any album I can think of, too, at least in their discography.

I can't disagree. I rank it just behind Automatic and Murmur, but they're all pretty close.

I mean, you don't want to force a tiered ranking on everyone, but I think as objectively as we can be, it's going to be better than what this poll is shaping up to be.

Too bad we can't do multiple choice polls here, because you could ask people do pick their top 3 and then tabulate it like that.

What we could do is have people PM you a shortlist like that, so there's no strategizing. You tabulate and then just print the results.

I mean, you don't want to force a tiered ranking on everyone, but I think as objectively as we can be, it's going to be better than what this poll is shaping up to be.

Too bad we can't do multiple choice polls here, because you could ask people do pick their top 3 and then tabulate it like that.

What we could do is have people PM you a shortlist like that, so there's no strategizing. You tabulate and then just print the results.

That's a novel way going about it, but there are going to be far more voters in a single album survivor poll than there would be lists. If there was a chance I could receive 20-30 lists, I would go that route. It makes sense.

there is an option when you set up a poll to allow more than one choice, I don't think you can set the number though, so some idiot could vote for all the albums if they wanted to.

Well make a multiple choice poll, then!

What kind of moron would fuck it up by voting for all of them?

Just tell everyone to pick their 5 favorite. Those five get 3 songs each. And we go from there.

DO EET.

As far as I know about R.E.M.'s albums popularity among critics and fans I guess it would be something like this

1. Automatic
2. Document
3. New Adventures
4. Murmur
5. Out of Time

6. Monster
7. Up
8. Accelerate
9. Lifes Rich Pageant
10. Green

11. Reckoning
12. Fables of the Reconstruction
13. Around the Sun
14. Reveal

Lifes Rich Pageant is much more of a "fan" favorite than Out of Time.

I know a lot of R.E.M. fans, and LRP ranks highly with most of them. And it depends on the age of the fans we're talking about. Reckoning and Fables are liked a lot more by the old school crew.

Should I not vote in this poll, then? I'm a little confused as to the tiered/rank thing, but completely understand why it's preferable to run a poll like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom