Favorite one-hit wonders?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corianderstem

Blue Crack Distributor
And yeah, someone will inevitably name a band that had one big hit and a couple of minor ones, or a band that had a huge US smash and then disappeared off to the rest of the world, where they had a relatively successful career ... actually, I could name a-ha for both of those categories! :wink:

But what are your favorite one-hit wonders? 70s? 80s? Doesn't matter the decade. Name 'em.

Major Tom - Peter Schilling (one of my favorite 80s songs; I can't resist a song with a great, easy to sing along to, chorus)

Cars - Gary Numan (I fell in love with this from the K-Tel album "Rock 80,"which was the first rock album I ever owned - thanks, Aunt Vicky!)

A Girl Like You - Edwyn Collins

Come On, Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners

My Sharona - The Knack

Pop Muzik - M (also on my "Rock 80" album)

White Town - Your Woman

Another good one, Cori, nice.
Forgive me if any of these are not actually one-hit wonders...if they're not, I obviously am not aware of other hits of theirs.

A Million Miles Away - The Plimsouls

Voices Carry - 'Til Tuesday (Aimee Mann's solo career does not change that this band had one hit!)

How Long Has This Been Going On - Ace (Not everyone knows this song, but, I loved it, great 70's tune, Paul Carrack singing lead)

Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty

Always Something There to Remind me - Naked Eyes

Mary's Prayer - Danny Wilson

You Get What You Give - New Radicals

Never Say Never - Romeo Void

If I Can't Have You - Yvonne Elliman

Again, if these people had additional hits, sorry!!!!

NEW RADICALS FTW! My favorite off that album is "Mother We Just Can't Get Enough," but that was some good stuff.

Yvonne Elliman was Mary Magdalene in "Jesus Christ Superstar" and sang "I Don't Know How to Love Him," does that count? :wink:

Good pick by the Plimsouls, and that Ace song. I know that one! I do believe I heard it on my little 70s radio in my bedroom growing up. Thinking of that song reminds me of "Baby Come Back" by Player, too. :rockon:

Oh, and for what it's worth, I think 'Til Tuesday also had a minor hit with "Coming Up Close," but it was nowhere as big as "Voices Carry."

The opening bass line for "How Long Has This Been Going On" is awesome.

I left "Fooled Around and Fell in Love" by Elvin Bishop off, but, for all I know that dude had other hits, too.

"Baby Come Back" is like the Ace song, or "Baker Street" for me....all remind me of summers when I was 7 or 8 or so...."I was wro-ong...and I just can't live without you"....:)

No spoken words said:

You Get What You Give - New Radicals

Yeah they were a self imposed 1hit wonder(stopped the release of the second single and ended tour because they couldn't handle the fame), it's ashame too that album was quite amazing...

I was going to put Amii Stewart's "Knock On Wood" on my list for some disco representation, but I saw via Google that she actually has a greatest hits collection. I had no idea she did anything else other than that song.

Ooh, I have a good one: "They Don't Know" by Tracey Ullman!

right here right now - jesus jones.

I'll think of more I'm sure, that song just happened to be sitting around in my head today.

Semisonic - Closing Time.

I'm so sad they were one-hit wonders, because they had three albums worth of really great, well-written pop tunes. :(

Coldplay - Clocks.

:)

Just a joke.

Aint No Stoppin Us Now - McFadden and Whitehead.

BVS, didn't the singer/producer of New Radicals shut it down because he preferred producing and did not want to be a "star"?

No spoken words said:

BVS, didn't the singer/producer of New Radicals shut it down because he preferred producing and did not want to be a "star"?

Well yeah, he didn't like performing live and didn't like the spotlight, apperantly he's produced a lot, but mainly pop acts...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Well yeah, he didn't like performing live and didn't like the spotlight, apperantly he's produced a lot, but mainly pop acts...

Thanks...I had read something to that effect, but was not sure it was accurate. I give him credit for making such a decision, though, it would have been interesting to hear more music from him.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Yeah they were a self imposed 1hit wonder(stopped the release of the second single and ended tour because they couldn't handle the fame), it's ashame too that album was quite amazing...

:up:

one of my favorites of the '90s.

LemonMacPhisto, your avatar is brilliant. G-d bless you and the Admiral.

Ackbar is a legend amongst my dorkier friends. I love to say "we can't deflect firepower of that magnitude" in conversation, apropo of nothing.

snowbunny00774 said:
Brimful of Asha - cornershop

I like this song a lot, but only the Fatboy Slim remix. When I heard the original, I was dismayed. "Why is it so slow?" :(

Almost as good as when Walker gets show right after proposing. :)

Ackbar supercedes any thread topics, but to be fair, back on topic:

"Tender Love" - Force MD's

corianderstem said:

I like this song a lot, but only the Fatboy Slim remix. When I heard the original, I was dismayed. "Why is it so slow?" :(

I've never heard the remix...I'll have to check it out, but not if it's going to ruin the original for me :torn:

help...what is that song that took over everything a few yrs ago...it's about drinking (surprise :happy:) it's a guy with an english accent...it was huge :(

I can't even think of any lyrics...but that one needs to be here...I know it annoyed everyone but I liked it.

were bran vann 3000 a OHW?

Penultimate means next to last, but, this is not the time or place to discuss that.

But, Penultimate reminds me of my favorite name, Uther Pendragon, which is the name I'm going to use the next time I hit on a woman, which will be never, but still.

Tubthumping by Chumbawumba?

Uther Pendragon is nearly as badass as Lando Calrissian, but not quite.

Is it "Tubthumping" by Chumbawumba?

"I get knocked down! But I get up again! blah blah blah never gonna bring me down!"

Ha! Cross-posting!

The only Bran Van 3000 song I ever heard was "Drinking in LA" on the soundtrack to the chick flick ... um ... "Playing By Heart"? I think?

Did they ever have a hit? That's the only time I'd ever heard of them. Good song, though.

It's almost true through, Creep is their only real major hit, at least in the US.

Then my beloved Catherine Wheel belong here, "Black Metallic" was their only hit, and even that was not much of a hit on the charts...but they made 3 strong albums and a 4th that's almost as good as those 3...and a 5th I prefer not to think about. :)

But, the spirit of this thread is likely bands that had one song, out of nowhere, that charted, then disappeared. At least that's what I think it is.

corianderstem said:
Is it "Tubthumping" by Chumbawumba?

"I get knocked down! But I get up again! blah blah blah never gonna bring me down!"

Ha! Cross-posting!

The only Bran Van 3000 song I ever heard was "Drinking in LA" on the soundtrack to the chick flick ... um ... "Playing By Heart"? I think?

Did they ever have a hit? That's the only time I'd ever heard of them. Good song, though.

Thanks LMP & Cori!!

that was going to drive me mental.

so yeah that song and drinking in LA by bran van 3000 - that song will never get old for me.

Back
Top Bottom