Fancy Gap, Virginia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Donko Festival.

May it forever be known as such.

I will never think of it the same way again. :lol:

Then you have Romanian, which is a whole different story altogether.

If I have learnt anything about Romania, it is that anything to do with the place is absolutely nuts.

God its history is insane.

Although I'm not sure if I would call Spanish or Italian very phonetic (they are more phonetic than English but not more so than German I feel), but this is because the most phonetic language I know of - Croatian - is my own.

The most phonetic language I know is Maori, but it helps that it didn't even have a written script until the nineteenth century, so the written form was just an adaptation of the spoken form. You have to learn about two pronunciation rules and you're good to go.

Speaking of Croatians though, two players of Croat descent on the Richmond footy team last year didn't make life easy by having the same last name but pronouncing it differently! The commentators had no bloody idea. There was Ivan Maric ("Marrich") and Addam Maric ("Marrick"), the latter of whom has now been delisted.

Hah, I'm just giving him shitty you know that.

But no, I consider it north America and anything south of it south America.

Central America is a hoax

Ya damn straight.

I really just wanna go through all of the Americas. Hire a van in Alaska and drive down to Chile. #shitthat'llneverhappen

No money, so I'm gonna watch the Lion King in Spanish tonight. Pretty sure I know every single line.

If we're speaking technically, Central America - region, North America - continent.

If I have learnt anything about Romania, it is that anything to do with the place is absolutely nuts.

God its history is insane.

Speaking of Croatians though, two players of Croat descent on the Richmond footy team last year didn't make life easy by having the same last name but pronouncing it differently! The commentators had no bloody idea. There was Ivan Maric ("Marrich") and Addam Maric ("Marrick"), the latter of whom has now been delisted.

I can't say I know a lot about the history of pre-20th century Romania, but the 20th century Romania is pretty wild, yeah. Ceaușescu was likely the craziest out of all the Eastern European communist dictators, which says a lot.

"Marrich" is the right pronunciation in Croatian. "Ivan Maric" is something like "John Smith", in the sense that it is one of the most common names you can find over here.

Ceausescu was much closer to a fascist than anything even close to resembling a communist.

ie. making abortion illegal simply because he wanted to increase the country's population. I could go on.

Whether anything that happened in Eastern Europe in the 20th century resembled communism in theory, in terms of governance, after the revolutions took place remains highly debatable.

Not sure how the whuck you came to that conclusion. :wink:

:lol:

As long as you act like "wh" is just a different letter entirely and know how the vowels are pronounced (i.e. not in nasal Australian style), it's perfectly phonetic. No silent letters, nothing bizarre at all.

I notice Aussies have more trouble getting Maori words right than many other people, just because of the vowels.

I can't say I know a lot about the history of pre-20th century Romania, but the 20th century Romania is pretty wild, yeah. Ceaușescu was likely the craziest out of all the Eastern European communist dictators, which says a lot.

"Marrich" is the right pronunciation in Croatian. "Ivan Maric" is something like "John Smith", in the sense that it is one of the most common names you can find over here.

Corneliu Codreanu was probably the craziest of the fascist leaders too. Nobody melded religion and fascism quite like the Romanians did with the whole batshit millennial theme.

And maybe that's why Addam Maric got delisted, he couldn't pronounce his last name properly. :wink:

I bet no Ivan Marics in Croatia have mullets as good as big Ivan's though.

Whether anything that happened in Eastern Europe in the 20th century resembled communism in theory, in terms of governance, after the revolutions took place remains highly debatable.

COMMUNISM NEVR EXIST OmFG

I bet no Ivan Marics in Croatia have mullets as good as big Ivan's though.

Oh I don't know about that. Mullet is more of a German thing in Europe, but I bet one or two could be found in remote rural places of my fine country.

Hell, we even had Bono-wannabe rock stars over here (I loathe this band BTW).

Prljavo Kazaliste - Mojoj majci live 1989 - YouTube

If you notice a resemblance to a certain U2 song, you're not wrong.

Corneliu Codreanu was probably the craziest of the fascist leaders too. Nobody melded religion and fascism quite like the Romanians did with the whole batshit millennial theme.

And maybe that's why Addam Maric got delisted, he couldn't pronounce his last name properly. :wink:

Now you've done it. I'm reading about this guy instead of doing some work.

They couldn't pronounce his last name properly and I guess he couldn't write his own first name. What's up with the two "d"-s? There's certainly none of that in Croatia. Hence being almost 100% phonetic and all that.

That Spanish is the official language of Central America?

How 2 get drunk every night and be late for all the classes

(not me now, luckily)

:lol:

As long as you act like "wh" is just a different letter entirely and know how the vowels are pronounced (i.e. not in nasal Australian style), it's perfectly phonetic. No silent letters, nothing bizarre at all.

I notice Aussies have more trouble getting Maori words right than many other people, just because of the vowels.

I'm just messing with you - I agree, and think te reo would be a reasonably easy language to pick up. I'd love to learn it - something very satisfying about saying some Maori words - maybe it's all those comedy Ks and such. Just don't think it'd come in much use for me, unfortunately! But that doesn't mean you shouldn't have a good stab at it.

545935_156965517763099_112704682189183_194119_1453711359_n.jpg

Maric's mullet was something of a delight to behold last week - it really felt like I was suddenly watching a game from twenty years ago, rather than, say, a game being played in Crystal Brook yesterday. Could just be on the strength of his game.

I lost my Northcote Social Club virginity tonight. Just for dinner. The place is sweet as. And there were some sweet sweet jazz sounds coming out of the Wesley Anne, which I visited recently. I had a chocolate stout there, I believe it was.

Then we saw Darebin councillor Trent McCarthy's comedy show at Little Feat Theatre in Thornbury. Little Feat Theatre is literally a black box and looks abandoned from the outside.

Somebody needs to hold down both Ivan Maric and Taylor Walker and fucking shave off their mullets.

And Danny, about time you lost your NSC virginity. Even djerdap beat you there! :lol:

Should I take this to indicate you watched Sunrise? :tongue:

It's not quite ACA, but still...

I was flicking the channels and both times I got there just before the commercial break began. :tongue:

Turns out you can avoid poverty if you graduate and get a job.

Mind = blown.

I was flicking the channels and both times I got there just before the commercial break began. :tongue:

Likely excuse. :wink:

Is there even anything on telly in the mornings any more? When I can hear my upstairs neighbour's telly some mornings, I'm quietly judging him not so much for having his TV annoyingly loud, but presumably for watching crap.

Pretty much breakfast programs on everything bar ABC which has children's programs? SBS would have its usual foreign news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom