Extras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corianderstem said:
I downloaded the series finale/ Christmas special this week but haven't watched it yet. I read an article about it though, and according to the writer, it's a very, very good series finale.

yes it is! I saw it Monday nite when they reran it on HBO...:D

Just wondering what you all thought of the special. Spoiler alert:

While I'm glad it didn't go the way of The Office UK special with a big, bright, happy ending, I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as other episodes of the two series/seasons. Of course, Andy got his expected comeuppance, and then was redeemed a bit at the end. I just wish something good had happened for Maggie! Not a life-transforming huge good thing necessarily, but a small nugget of goodness would have been nice. She was so defeated and sad in this episode, and I really like the character.

Maybe it's partly because of the lack of a guest star with an actual plotline? IMO, some of the guest stars had the funniest moments of the series.

I need to go back and rewatch. I'm not sure if I downloaded a bad file, but I missed some of the dialogue on the first viewing, it sounded muffled.

It was much more of a downer than I expected, but there were some pretty funny moments throughout. Bottom line is that Ricky Gervais is a great writer and can clearly do moving human stuff as well as comedy, and also made some pretty pointed criticisms about celebrity worship and the pursuit of success. It was rather a big fuck you to a large portion of the audience, which I always applaud (like the Seinfeld series finale).

I tried downloading it from a torrent site, but was unsuccessful (the files wouldn't extract right, or something was missing). It ticked me off.

I'm hoping it'll show up on YouTube, or I guess I'll have to wait for DVD. :(

corianderstem said:
I tried downloading it from a torrent site, but was unsuccessful (the files wouldn't extract right, or something was missing). It ticked me off.

I'm hoping it'll show up on YouTube, or I guess I'll have to wait for DVD. :(

Was it like a whole bunch of files in a folder? I had that happen to me too. Usually there is one "master" rar file or something, but not this time. Sucked.

Does anyone know if it's On Demand for HBO?

Cori and Beav, I think that happened to us too, when we downloaded and burned. If it wasn't that, it was something we've dled over the holidays. I'll ask my daughter when she gets home how she fixed it, and get back to you.

Yep, Beav, that's what it was. Posting that comment in this thread reminded me to go see if I could find another upload of it, and I did!

This one is one big file. It might be too big to burn onto disc later, but for this one, I'll watch it on my computer, which I normally hate doing.

corianderstem said:
Yep, Beav, that's what it was. Posting that comment in this thread reminded me to go see if I could find another upload of it, and I did!

This one is one big file. It might be too big to burn onto disc later, but for this one, I'll watch it on my computer, which I normally hate doing.

can you somehow send me the torrent or link to it via a PM or something? Much appreciated.

You bet - it was a pretty fast download, too! Too bad it's too big to burn as a video-CD. Oh well.

Wow, that was great. I got more and more depressed as the show went on, but the ending was great.

I have no idea what Ricky Gervais is like in real life, but he's very good at playing characters I want to punch in the face, and want to see bad things happen to.

But, like in The Office (although I had a little more sympathy for David Brent), he's redeemed at the end.

:up:

I loved the special, it was a very fitting end to the series.

my favorite cameo is still Patrick Stewart.

"By then I've seen everything... I've seen it all."

corianderstem said:
Wow, that was great. I got more and more depressed as the show went on, but the ending was great.

I have no idea what Ricky Gervais is like in real life, but he's very good at playing characters I want to punch in the face, and want to see bad things happen to.

But, like in The Office (although I had a little more sympathy for David Brent), he's redeemed at the end.

His character was quite likable through most of the first season....he started to slowly become less likable as he achieved some measure of succes.

Gervais is brilliant, both for his writing, and for demanding that his shows have a finite run. This allows him to truly sketch out a story, and not just write episodes because the Ad Sales guys can sell it.

No spoken words said:
His character was quite likable through most of the first season....he started to slowly become less likable as he achieved some measure of succes.

Oh, definitely. I should have clarified; I didn't really want to punch him until this finale.

For a show that went from a light-hearted laugh with great cameos to something more melancholy, it did it very well.

My favorite line from Extras:

Ross Kemp, playing himself, on Vinnie Jones, also playing himself....said to Andy:

"You think he's a tough guy? I'd like to see him come up to me with all that 'I'm a hard bastard' stuff'. I'd say 'Put the baseball bat down....it's just you and me....skin on skin....stripped to the waist...to the death'".

UberBeaver said:
I just watched that a couple of hours ago. "You know...I am not really a wizard." HAHA. Awesome.

I think I might be kinda sorta in love with Maggie a little bit.

They're always bustin' on her for being unattractive, wtfs up with that? I think she's really pretty and she has great hair! From the maybe two eps of Ugly Betty I've seen, she plays a dowdy character on that, too.

I'm going to try to find the Sir Ian monologue and post it. His...earnestness while describing how to act. Holy shit.

Eta - here it is!

"How do I act so well? What I do is, I pretend to be the person I'm portraying in the film or play. Case in point: Lord of the Rings. Peter Jackson comes from New Zealand, says to me, "Sir Ian, I want you to be Gandalf, the wizard," and I say to him, "You are aware that I am not really a wizard." And he said, "Yes, I am aware of that. What I want you to do is to use your acting skills to portray the wizard for the duration of the film." So I said, "Okay," and then I said to myself, "Hmmm. How would I do that?" And this is what I did. I imagined what it would be like to be a wizard, and then I pretended and acted in that way on the day. And how did I know what to say? The words were written down in a script. How did I know where to stand? People told me. If we were to draw a graph of my process, of my method, it would be something like this: Sir Ian, Sir Ian, Sir Ian, action, WIZARD! YOU SHALL NOT PASS!, cut, Sir Ian, Sir Ian, Sir Ian. "

--Sir Ian McKellen, Extras

And the hand gestures denoting the graph during the "Sir Ian, Sir Ian..." part. :lol:

Last edited:
UberBeaver said:
I just watched that a couple of hours ago. "You know...I am not really a wizard." HAHA. Awesome.

I think I might be kinda sorta in love with Maggie a little bit.

she is also on Ugly Betty, she's the scottish girl on the show if you haven't seen it..

Back
Top Bottom