"experimental" music and lyrics...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BVS

Blue Crack Supplier
How many bands that you consider to have an "experimental" sound have "experimental" lyrics?

This discussion has been briefly brought up, there are a lot of bands that get a free ride on bad lyrics if they have what they consider an "experimental" sound. But what bands that you consider to have an "experimental" sound have "experimental" lyrics, or at least great lyrics? And please give an example of such lyric...

It's an interesting question. I think David Bowie has some pretty "experimental" lyrics, especially in his 70s albums.

At the very least, the lyrics are pretty far out, man.

Bowie uses his telescopic nipple antennae to send data back to Earth.

Experimental though... I'll have to come back to you on that one.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Examples?

Hopelandic...the made up language they use. At least for the album () you were meant to make up your own meaning to the songs, created by whatever the sounds of the words meant to you.

It wasn't just random nonsense, it was structured in a way that kinda led to you giving it meaning. I imagine there are actual meanings behind the songs which the band haven't revealed, or if there is let me know, I don't follow Sigur Ros much outside of the albums.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Examples?

Didn't provide an example cause I wouldn't call myself a fan, I just know that seeing as they've made up their own language to use in their lyrics, there might be something inherently "experimental" in their structure, as someone alluded to previously.

Sigur Ros fans might care to elaborate further.

If you shout... said:

Google...?/You're kidding, right...?

No, I'm not kidding...

I've seen the whole "invented language" looked at two ways, some look at it and think, it's lazy, it's like if Bono left his songs in "bonolese"(or whatever people call it) and said look I made up a language. And then some have actually translated the lyrics, breaking the code of the language, and the lyrics suck.

So that's why I wanted examples, what people actually thought about it, so you may want to google something.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
there are a lot of bands that get a free ride on bad lyrics if they have what they consider an "experimental" sound.

Really? Like who?

Are you trying to say indirectly that 90s U2 had bad lyrics? :madwife: :wink:

Re: Re: "experimental" music and lyrics...

Zootlesque said:

Really? Like who?

Are you trying to say indirectly that 90s U2 had bad lyrics? :madwife: :wink:

For example I think Thom gets a free ride with lyric writing quite often, especially Kid A on...

I think 90's U2 was much like any other decade of U2, had some great ones, had some suitable ones, and had some clunkers...

Robert Wyatt - Alifib

Not nit not nit no not
Nit nit folly bololey
Alifi my larder
Alifi my larder
I can't forsake you or
Forsqueak you
Alifi my larder
Alifi my larder
Confiscate or make you
Late you you
Alifi my larder Alifi my larder