Ever found words you could relate to in a song by a 'sucky' artist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
Okay I'm taking a chance by asking this, but surely I am not the only person who has found something to relate to and feel in a song by an artist most of you would write off as 'sucky.' I don't feel that way, but what I'm trying to say is I have been just as touched by songs by people you'd write off as I have by U2 or the Beatles. So guilty pleasure time here, admit it, hasn't there been something in some 'questionable' artist's song that touched you in ways more 'good' songs didn't?

Here are a few I'll admit to:

Avril Lavigne's "Nobody's Home"- when I heard that (stuck in the car with a teenage niece) I thought, oh man, that's me!

Hoobastank's "Crawling in the Dark"- they put that frustrating feeling better than anyone else I've heard, and the song rocks.

Vanessa Carlton's "White Houses"- a lot in there is also a lot of what I'm feeling right now, in my personal life, and even on this forum.

Poison- "Every Rose Has Its Thorn"- that guy poured his heart out with the line 'listen to my favorite song playin' on the radio, hear the DJ say love's a game of easy come and easy go, but I wonder, does he know, has he ever felt like this?"... Now haven't YOU felt like that and wondered if the artist really meant what they said or was it just for entertainment?

I think you have to make as list os "sucky artist"... you know, for not screwing things up

AVRIL LAVIGNE ROCKS!!! (not that much, but still... listen to "My World")

pepokiss said:
I think you have to make as list os "sucky artist"... you know, for not screwing things up

AVRIL LAVIGNE ROCKS!!! (not that much, but still... listen to "My World")

By 'sucky' I mean by the standards of the people who post here, and that list is not the same as my opinion personally. I don't think Avril sucks and it annoys the hell out of me to see her lumped with Britney, Christina, etc. First, she writes and plays for herself, second, she ROCKS she doesn't do moaney pop shit and her songs are NOT mindless like most of theirs are. I just put it like that to provoke thought that an artist doesn't have to on the 'cool' list to have a song mean something to somebody.

Last edited:
Have to admit 'Every Rose Has It's Thorn' still gets me.

There are others but I can't think of them for I've spent too much energy to deny them, but everytime they play on the radio I listen.

U2Kitten said:

By 'sucky' I mean by the standards of the people who post here, and that list is not the same as my opinion personally. I don't think Avril sucks and it annoys the hell out of me to see her lumped with Britney, Christina, etc. First, she writes and plays for herself, second, she ROCKS she doesn't do moaney pop shit and her songs are NOT mindless like most of theirs are. I just put it like that to provoke thought that an artist doesn't have to on the 'cool' list to have a song mean something to somebody.

why do people rag on pop music all the time? 9 times out of 10 it's better than something that's supposedly "rock", but is still "pop" anyway because it gets played on the radio just as much as anything else.

there's nothing lamer than a shitty "rock" band.

but anyway, i'm not ripping into you here believe it or not. it's just a general statement, because i've read similiar things quite often.

i dont know what you guys think of it eminem & dido - stan still gets me every once in a while. :reject:

All I Want -- I love that song.

Supposedly, I just read, Bono likes it too. So you and I aren't alone. =)

I agree with Zoomerang, although I doubt he and I would reach a concensus on what crappy rock is. Except maybe Creed. :mad:

Anyway, pertaining to the original question, plenty of times. I'm in the age group that specific types of music is marketed for anyway, so there's bound to be something I feel that is expressed similarly in certain songs. I dislike the music that frames such sentiments. Linkin Park, for instance.

I'm actually quite the bit of a Vanessa Carlton fan. :madspit: :sexywink:

Um, yes, this happens a good bit with me. Of course, I have no real objective standards. It's basically, "I like this" and then apply supposed objectivity to "rank" things. Then it's "I don't like this" in which I simply say, "no"

due to current "questionable" listening habits of mine, i could have started this thread

[insert here a bunch of horribly mainstream country songs i never would admit to liking, but since it's 7:40am and i haven't gone to sleep yet, i'm admiting it]

i cry when i hear " the reason " by Hoobastank.

my little girl made me leave that song on in the car- and i bawled man!

i just picture a mom or dad whose criminal actions landed them in jail telling those lyrics to thier kids...
or any other parent for that matter, criminal or not.

i dont think hoobastank is a crappy band though

alot of the bands or artists mentioned here are things my kids are more likely to listen to.

my older daughter loves vanessa carlton , i think shes a bit of a belly acher

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom