Eurovision Song Contest 2004

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OzAurora

Refugee
The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
So who watched it.....?

I love watching this each year and the guy who does the commentary here in Australia is just as entertaining in his remarks and opinions as the actual show. So I missed the final bit of it, but am I right in that the chicky who looked like Zena Warrior Princess won???

I really liked the song from Malta- it kinda seemed very comical:wink:

evision_2.jpg

I watched it. Xena won. They were my favourites. :laugh: Some of the performances were really, really, really bad. Eurovision is scarier than I ever imagined. :yikes:

I work in a busy hotel kitchen, and the night of the contest some french dude from the room situated above the kitchen was complaining that he couldn't hear it over our radio, and was leaning out of his window every five minutes LOL:lol:

I :heart: the Eurovision song contest. It's so tacky and politically biased :laugh:

I couldn't believe that people were voting for that awful Turkey entry, and what was with the baldy woman on stilts during the French entry? :laugh:

I have to say though, it wouldn't be the same if Terry Wogan didn't do the commentary. Some of his comments were truly hysterical :D

I prefer Terry Wogan too. I havent watched it for a few years and theres an Australian guy on the Australian version now. Hes funny but no where near as funny as Wogan.

I watch it solely for the voting. I love the politics. But it was played in the evening here. It used to be on at 2:30 in the afternoon. Much easier to fit into the day. I only managed the first hour. Xena did seem to be the least worst.

Last edited:
Aaahh, Eurovision, :) Cyprus gives 12 points to Greece and behold! Greece gives Cyprus 12 points!

I wonder what poor Norway did to deserve such humiliation.

My family decided that the Russian girl was the worst one and truly embarrassing for our former country.

What about the Turkish hostess and her screamingly horrible yellow dress? And did the guy host look like Spock or what? :)

because of the winners etc I'm not even gonna move this to Bang & Clatter
since it obviously has nothing to do with music

it was an enjoyable evening bashing people though :D

Saracene said:
My family decided that the Russian girl was the worst one and truly embarrassing for our former country.
well, she was bad
but I think you might have missed Austria :D

The German guy had the worst unibrow in the history of mankind. :no:

The French one with the scary stilt woman gave me nightmares. :|

meegannie said:
Bosnia's was my favourite for just being hilarious: http://www.keithm.utvinternet.ie/2004Bosnia.htm

That guy was so orange!

my God, this Eurovision hype is unbelievable, this guy came back from Istanbul yesterday, and they showed him on TV being welcomed by his fans and then picked up by white limo and he was waving at them and it was so :yuck:
and he was only in 9th place, imagine what would happen if he was in 8th:laugh:

JessicaAnn said:
What is this Eurovision ... is it a tragic rip-off of Pop Idol/American Idol?:|

No, it's got a bit more credibility than that. Past winners include later famous singers like Celine Dion and of course Sweden's most famous pop band ABBA. (did anyone else see that tiny movie they had in the honor of 30th anniversary of their victory? :laugh: and I think 3 of them also showed up in the movie)
In the last years, it's gotten worse I'm afraid - more impact on the show and glamour and the glitz than the music.

Basically several European countries put together songs and then they vote it off - but neighbouring countries give each other 12 points very often.
(unfortunately our country reached its lowest score ever)

Various Australians have also appeared under the United Kingdom banner. The singer doesnt actually have to been from the country they are representing.

Katrina and the Waves (either USA or Canadian band) where on there one year. :huh:

yeah I think they just have to have parents or grandparents or something from the country they're representing.

The Cyprus entry this year was a 16 year old girl from Kent in England. Her mum was from Cyprus though

wasn't the wonder that was Gina G from Australia? :lol:

U2girl said:
(did anyone else see that tiny movie they had in the honor of 30th anniversary of their victory? :laugh: and I think 3 of them also showed up in the movie)

That movie was the only reason I watched the semi-finals. I didn't want to miss that, especially after I heard Rik Mayall was going to be in it! Other than that, I was glad I was able to miss the finals on saturday, I heard it was horrible. Bit of bad luck though that I'd already seen the winner "perform" in the semi-finals. I wouldn't have minded missing that. :|

Oh, and I believe Celine Dion was singing for Switzerland.

Back
Top Bottom