Euro 2008 --> The Thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Trip,

did they mess with your username too !!?

wow, after all I´m not the only one..

Uh !? No, I don't think so. I shortened my username because there were other Trip before me.
Sorry, you're probably the only one ... :wink:

As for soccer, the expectedly best teams have won so far, but all teams (except Turkey maybe) played rather well. Neither Switzerland or Austria deserved to lose, and Poland did rather good as well.

Weakest match. Both France and Romania deserve to go home if this is what they intend to offer.

C'mon the Oranje! They are looking pretty good 20 mins in against Italy. Some close calls and their possession looks good.

edit....Goal!! van Nistelrooy totally offside but it's a goal. Italians are going to be screaming bloody murder now. Holland had lots of pressure on anyway and looked as if they would score eventually. Nevertheless.....love it!

edit....Goal!! Yaaaaa......Holland up 2 after 30 mins. Wow.

I guess the refs thought that Italian guy writhing on the ground beyond the line was actually in the field of play.

Commence the playing of the world's tiniest violin.

Offside but best game of the tournament, anyone ? Great second goal.

I guess Dutch people will scream foul because that Nistleroy trip wasn't a penalty kick. :shrug:

Offside but best game of the tournament, anyone ? Great second goal.

I guess Dutch people will scream foul because that Nistleroy trip wasn't a penalty kick. :shrug:

Replays showed that he was barely touched, if at all,

If van Nistelrooy had gone down immediately he might have been awarded the penalty, but once he'd cleared Buffon he knew that he wouldn't have gotten the call, so he stayed up and recovered the ball.

I think the first goal was ok and not offside! This italian guy beyond the line counts.

I was listening to former West Ham keeper Craig Forrest and he said a player must be on pitch of play for the offside to not count. Ruud was offside.

No, the Italians will now start diving like they're going for gold in the olympics. I bet there will be 'professional fouls' aplenty.

...anyone care to remember what they did to the Aussies in the World Cup...hmmm...

Yes hopefully we won't start seeing this -

user756_1151541334.gif

I was listening to former West Ham keeper Craig Forrest and he said a player must be on pitch of play for the offside to not count. Ruud was offside.

That can't be completely correct; otherwise defenders would be stepping off the field all the time on set pieces in order to trap the other players offside.

I thought that because the Italian player was lying on the ground injured beyond the line before the ball came back in, he wouldn't be classified as an active player, but I could be wrong.

That can't be completely correct; otherwise defenders would be stepping off the field all the time on set pieces in order to trap the other players offside.

I thought that because the Italian player was lying on the ground injured beyond the line before the ball came back in, he wouldn't be classified as an active player, but I could be wrong.

that's exactly what I'm thinking! I mean you could just stand near the sideline and stepping in and out and it's offside all time :lol: !

I don't know the rules that well, even though I played for years, but the two commentators here in Canada, Dick Howard and Craig Forrest, both veteran people in the sport, said that because the Italian defender was outside the field of play injured then he isn't included in the ongoing action, therefore Ruud was offside.

You'll see something similar when an injured player goes off the pitch and his team is down to 10 men. Same thing, one must be on the field or else the rules would turn to anarchy. This or you would see players stepping off and on the pitch. Also if I remember the guy that was off the pitch went down injured before the ball came back in the box for the goal.

You'll see something similar when an injured player goes off the pitch and his team is down to 10 men. Same thing, one must be on the field or else the rules would turn to anarchy. This or you would see players stepping off and on the pitch. Also if I remember the guy that was off the pitch went down injured before the ball came back in the box for the goal.

ok, injured or not you could annul offside when you're off the field imo. Of course the italian didn't intend to annul nistelrooy's offside position ( I think he collided with buffon and it was just his bad luck)

I didnt expect Italy to get fucked like this, however i never ruled out Holland.

let's face it
we humiliated them

the italians did have some chances
but for once we actually were better in every aspect of the game

and apparently according to the rules the first goal wasn't offside
though I don't give a shit if it had been :D

:applaud:

Holland were 8/1 to win Euro 2008, i think they will be favourites after tonights performance.

Back
Top Bottom