Enough of the hate...this is for the bands you love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indra

ONE love, blood, life
Most of us really dislike the "I Hate [insert band name here]" threads, so here's a thread to promote bands you love. I'm thinking this could be a good thread for bands that aren't really well known and wouldn't really carry a thread all by themselves.

So name some less well known bands you love (and tell a bit about them too) -- maybe someone else will find a new love too. :)

I'll post a few a bit later...I just realised I have to hit the post office and the bank and it's getting late. :ohmy:

I've been listening to The Damnwells lately.... they're a great new band. Bastards of the Beat is a great album and most fans of rock music should be able to appreciate it. Any other fans out there?

None of the following are particularly obscure, but they are all under-rated in my view, and I haven't seen any references here, at least not recently, so:-

(1) The Waterboys - Lead singer/lyricist Mike Scott has had a long career in music with many interesting twists and turns and has lived, at various times, in a commune in the Scottish highlands, the West of Ireland, downtown Manhattan, London and Dublin, absorbing new influences in each place. His musical associate Steve Wyndham provided the electric piano parts on 'The Unforgettable Fire', incidentally. They had a number of UK/Irish chart hits in the late '80's. After a few patchy solo albums from Mike Scott, the reformed band put out the excellent 'A Rock in the Weary Land' in 2002. If you like traditional Celtic music blended with rock, with the emphasis on rock, you will enjoy the Waterboys. Key word: soulful.

(2) The KLF - pretty big in the UK in the early '90's but now seemingly under-rated. Pretty much singehandedly invented rave/dance culture.

(3) The Associates - early '80's duo consisting of a very talented lead singer and even more talented multi-instrumentalist. The charismatic lead singer Billy McKenzie had a truly unique vocal style. Bono referred to them in the recent Mojo interview, incidentally. Not that that matters but it shows his tastes have not gone totally mainstream/middle of the road,

(4) The Shamen - Like number 2, big in the UK and some other parts of Europe in the early '90s but now under-rated. Took dance music to a whole level.

(5) Whipping Boy - Didn't really make it big outside Ireland, but Hot Press voted their 1995 album 'Heartworm' number 4 in a recent list of the best ever albums by Irish artists. Key word: angry. If Acrobat is one of your favourite U2 tracks, I guarantee you will like this band.

Zoomerang96, I will leave it to you to extol the merits of Future Sound of London. :wink:

Last edited:
The Jane Anchor. They're from Philly; female lead vocals, somewhat jangle pop, though are prone to rocking, melodic outbursts featuring big drums, pulsing bass and cranked up guitars. You can stream their album at www.thejaneanchor.com

Jeez guys, any chance you could come up with something better than 2 word answers?

Bobby Hewson, what is "Pet Shop", are you referring to the Pet Shop Boys by any chance?

I'd pick Journey ... A 70s and 80s band with AWESOME hit songs ... :bow:

There have been several members that were replaced in this band over the years ... such as Aynsley Dunbar (drums) Gregg Rolie (keyboards) and Steve Perry (vocalist). The group is still occasionally touring but I will not go see them anymore since they
replaced Steve Perry. I still love this band ... :love: ... but only because of their older music from some kick-ass albums ... Infinity, Evolution, Departure, Captured (Live album), Escape, Frontiers, Raised On Radio, Greatest Hits Album, Essential Journey CD, and Trial By Fire ...

The reason behind lead vocalist Steve Perry's replacement ?? :tsk:

Steve Perry needed hip replacement surgery. It was around the time of 1996 when Trial By Fire came out. Journey was going to tour again and Steve went to Hawaii beforehand to "get in shape" for the tour. He went mountain climbing and supposedly hurt his hip on the way back down the mountain. When he seeked medical attention, the doctors informed him that he needed surgery. Steve took awhile to decide what was actually the BEST measures to take ... seeking second opinions and other medical advice. The other members of Journey, particularly Jonathan Cain and Neal Schon wanted to get touring. They mentioned to Steve to get the surgery so the tour wouldn't get "held up" any longer than necessary. Steve couldn't do that because he didn't want to make the wrong decision regarding his own health issues. Jonathan and Neal obviously couldn't understand that, so they told Steve he was being replaced. I believe they have very bitter feelings towards each other now since this past issue ...

But I still LOVE their past music with Steve Perry and would NEVER stop listening to it because of
what happened within the band itself ... :applaud:

Last edited:
:madspit: This is a good idea for a thread but unfortunately MrBrau and Typhoon haven't taken it seriously. Which is a pity as they have good taste in music.

shit.....i just typed up a few hundred words on an artist not many people are familiar w/ and my internet closed on me:mad:

anyway, Keith Caputo (singer of Life of Agony) had a handful of years as a solo artist and he was magnificent.

He is John Lennon, meets the best Coldplay songs you'll hear, and a little bit of Beck.

I highly recommend the album Died Laughing.

Keith's voice is bono-esque in that it is straight from the heart and takes your breath away.

I seriously love David Bowie's work

'Sound and Vision' is an amazing song:drool: :drool: :drool:

and don't get me started on any of the Ziggy work

Sigur Ros, Royksopp and Kings of Convenience - I know they're not *that* obscure, but I think all three are ridiculously underrated.

financeguy said:

(2) The KLF - pretty big in the UK in the early '90's but now seemingly under-rated. Pretty much singehandedly invented rave/dance culture.

:love: one of my big guilty pleasures from the early 90s!

Also...

Kula Shaker :up:

I am a huge Sinead O'Connor fan :up:

She has one of the most intriguing voices I have ever heard and she's not afraid to try anything with music. She's done so many styles and worked with so many artists.

I also respect her musical honesty... she does just what she wants to do and makes no apologies.

Anyway, she's one of my favorite artists that I don't see mentioned around here very often, except in ridicule.

Not too obscure, but I must say...

Iron & Wine is one of the best contemporary artists out there. "Our Endless Numbered Days" is an absolute masterpiece.

:love:

hippy said:
I am a huge Sinead O'Connor fan :up:

She has one of the most intriguing voices I have ever heard and she's not afraid to try anything with music. She's done so many styles and worked with so many artists.

I also respect her musical honesty... she does just what she wants to do and makes no apologies.

Anyway, she's one of my favorite artists that I don't see mentioned around here very often, except in ridicule.

I agree! She's got a gorgeous voice and has balls to boot. :up:

I've been listening to her greatest hits lately. Great stuff.

I will back up the Sinead O'Connor and Waterboys love. :heart:

I'm all excited because I just learned Robert Cray is coming to my town to perform. We don't get that many people where I live that I'm actually interesting in going to hear. I listened to some of his stuff last night in anticipation. I remember first hearing his music almost 20 years ago and being absolutely floored. I think he was my introduction to the blues, a genre a grew up pretty ignorant about.

Bono's shades said:

I'm all excited because I just learned Robert Cray is coming to my town to perform.

I saw him perform at the Crossroads Festival in Dallas last June. That's one day I'll never forget for the rest of my life. All those legends on one stage. :drool:

music i like off the top of my head and theres plenty of reasons for each, musical arrangements, lyrics are a major thing i look to though theres plenty of exceptions, i like to see how an artist has changed over time ...and plenty other reasons:

Manu Chao
Television
Bruce Springsteen
Radiohead
Beck
Elvis Costello
Bright Eyes
Flaming Lips
Travis
Bob Dylan
The Police
Bjork
Miles Davis
Badly Drawn Boy
At The Drive In
& Mars Volta
Cafe Tacuba
Pulp
REM
Clash
Roots
Stone Roses
Tom Waits
Steely Dan
Marvin Gaye
Pixies
Pj harvey
Nick Drake
Smiths
Rolling Stones
Daft Punk
The Music
Neutral Milk Hotel
Bowie
Rjd2
Joy Division
Moby
Woody Guthrie
Fela Kuti
Hella
Interpol
Talking Heads

and oh yeah U2

Last edited:
Everybody ought to check out the Olympic Hopefuls. They're a fantastic kinda local band... maybe a little too pop for some but not half bad.

Bash & Pop too. The band Tommy Stinson formed after the Replacements broke up... only put out one CD and did half a tour before breaking up but that one CD is awesome.

MrBrau1 said:
I like U2.

they're ok :wink:

I don't see a Velvet Underground thread in the B&C band index... I'm assuming most people know who they are though, Lou Reed, John Cale, wrote some of the greatest songs ever and influenced basically every modern band?

Right, they rule. My personal favourite is their third album which I believe was just called "VU." What Goes On, Pale Blue Eyes, Murder Mystery...:drool:

Other bands I've been listening to lately include Rage Against the Machine, Bright Eyes, Bloc Party, Interpol, Outkast, The Killers, and Alien Ant Farm. All fairly recent bands (except RATM which are obviously split up and Outkast has been around for about 10 years).

Only heard a bit of stuff by the Waterboys, but I don't mind 'em, no. "The Whole Of The Moon" is a great song :up:. Sinead's not bad, either :).

One band I've been getting into within the last year or so has been Squeeze. Don't see much talk about them here-anyone else got any thoughts on them? I really like what I'm hearing by them, too. And I will state once again that "Tempted" is really one of the coolest songs I've ever heard :yes:.

There's also all the Finn-related stuff-Crowded House and Split Enz and them that I'm loving, too...but I know quite a few people here like them as well, so... (actually, this place is one I credit in part with getting me into that music. You guys who love those artists talked about 'em enough that I got curious and kept an eye out for any songs related to them, and the rest is history. So, yeah, thanks :hug: :)).

Angela

Queens Of The Stone Age (best group of the 2000s)
The Beatles (best group ever)
Led Zeppelin (state of the art in rock)
T.Rex, The Who, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Crowded House, Shihead (Pacifier), Nirvana, Die Ärzte, Motörhead, Prince, The Strokes, The Killers, Mando Diao, ACDC, Pixies, Morrissey, The Smiths, Television, Red Hot Chily Peppers, Monster Magnet, Iron Maiden, Guns n' Roses, Faith No More, Soundgarden, Audioslave, Eminem, Metallica, Thin Lizzy

U2, U2, U2, U2, U2
Pearl Jam
Metallica
Nirvana
Foo Fighters
Green Day
R.H.Chili Peppers
Incubus
R.E.M.
Coldplay
Beatles
Xutos&Pontapés (portuguese)