English Football Hooligans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zonelistener

ONE love, blood, life
This Topic fascinates me. Here is a clip from an article I read. Sounds as if it is much calmer than years past.

From Associated Press.....
The atmosphere was refreshingly relaxed and festive preceding Argentina vs. England, which often brings out the worst in soccer fans.

About 1,000 England fans and 200 Argentina followers mingled in a park, sunbathing, dancing and attracting the attention of photographers and television cameras.

Authorities kept it peaceful. A total of 7,000 police officers from around the nation were in Sapporo. Many were armed with water cannons and ``netguns,'' which could snare potential troublemakers.

Police arrested four more England fans, bringing to eight the number of Britons accused of minor crimes in Japan since soccer's showcase event began May 31.

Two men were detained Thursday for trying to steal Mexican and German soccer jerseys from a shop in Sapporo. Another Englishman was held on suspicion of trying to defraud a convenience store worker. A fourth was arrested for punching a Japanese man through the open window of a taxi.

A suspected British hooligan was among a group of ``suspicious foreigners'' gathered around a park fountain in Sapporo. Police found his name on a list of soccer troublemakers and he was handed over to Japanese immigration officials.

At Japan's airports, authorities have turned away 38 England supporters who have a history of hooliganism. Three more have been denied entry to co-host South Korea.

There's going to be a TV documentary about this...England Till I Die. It's going to be shown next week on the local news channel...sould be interesting. (and horrifying)

I thought you might like to see this

Russian football fans have reportedly gone on the rampage following the country's World Cup defeat, killing one man and injuring several others.
According to the Interfax news agency, the violence happened near the Kremlin in Moscow after Russia went down 1-0 to Japan .

Police were quoted as saying the man died from stab wounds as mass brawls erupted on Manezh Square and spilled into other parts of the city centre.

Large numbers of fans had been watching the game on a giant outdoor screen.

Other reports said angry fans threw bottles and damaged cars.

A number of vehicle were set alight near the lower house of parliament, where windows were reportedly broken.

bullet the blue sky said:
I thought you might like to see this

Russian football fans have reportedly gone on the rampage following the country's World Cup defeat, killing one man and injuring several others.
According to the Interfax news agency, the violence happened near the Kremlin in Moscow after Russia went down 1-0 to Japan .

Police were quoted as saying the man died from stab wounds as mass brawls erupted on Manezh Square and spilled into other parts of the city centre.

Large numbers of fans had been watching the game on a giant outdoor screen.

Other reports said angry fans threw bottles and damaged cars.

A number of vehicle were set alight near the lower house of parliament, where windows were reportedly broken.

Sadly,I can confirm this.Fortunately,I live in the so-called
"Northern capital" of Russia where everything's alright though the
streets were literally empty at the time the match was held.My
friends and me are great football fans and we were really upset
to hear such news.This is something that's never happened here
before :( .

I doubt if your average English football hooligan has the means to travel to Japan for the World Cup.
even if they arent causing trouble, I think its the arrogance of the fans (admiitedly there are always exceptions) that disgusts most people, including myself.
Some fans were shown on TV pissed off their heads, its hard to put my finger on it, but you could tell this was different to the average fan who'd had one two many.
English fans also insist on singing antagonistic songs, can you tell me that isnt incitement to violence?
Dont get me wrong, I have nothing against most English people, but the attitude of many English supporters lets the rest down.

Back
Top Bottom