Elliott Smith to release DOUBLE ALBUM!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
He announced this at a recent show...
late spring or early fall he will release a double album, "From a Basement on a Hill"

I am going to drown in my own drool

and he said that he will call the 2nd disk a "bonus" disk so as to keep the price no higher thn a single cd! Even though it is not technically a bonus disk but an actual 2nd part to the album. good idea!

here's a great pitchforkmedia article...they say it was dreamworks idea to do the fake bonus disk thing but I'm positive Elliott came up with this one ;)

------

Elliott Smith Back on Tour, Plans Double Album

Goin' back to Kali-- mmm, I don't think so.

Will Bryant reports:

Having apparently abandoned his effort to release the home-recorded album From a Basement on the Hill, Elliott Smith is returning this month with four announced solo gigs in New York and L.A. and a possible double album due before summer. At a surprise appearance at L.A.'s marquee-challenged hotspot, Spaceland, Smith played an assured set full of unreleased material including "Memory Lane", "Passing Feeling", "Shooting Star", and "Fond Farewell", and announced that his next album-- reportedly due in late spring or early summer on Dreamworks-- will likely be a double shot. Bizarrely, in order to keep the price reasonable, Smith has apparently been asked by the Dreamworks brass to refer to the second CD as a "bonus" disc, according to Smith fansite Sweet Adeline.

The album, Smith's sixth solo effort, is the culmination of a lot of turmoil in the singer's life since the release of Figure 8 in 2000. Smith had roadtested a wealth of new material on the Figure 8 tour-- including "Pretty (Ugly Before)" and "Let's Get Lost"-- and reportedly began recording with multi-instrumentalist Jon Brion and The Folk Implosion's Russ Pollard shortly thereafter. Other reports had Smith collaborating in a home studio with Shon Sullivan and Dave MacConnell of the L.A. band Goldenboy. Despite the new musical kinships and the uncontested quality of his new songs, Smith's live performances were becoming frustratingly unpredictable. At a disastrous headlining appearance at L.A.'s Sunset Junction festival in August 2001, Smith aborted nearly a dozen of his own songs mid-performance-- either because he couldn't remember the words or couldn't play his own intricate guitar arrangements.

Smith's performance anxiety was further compounded by reports that Dreamworks had summarily rejected the dark home recordings he'd been laboring on with Sullivan and MacConnell. Last April, Pitchfork reported that Smith and his management were shopping the then fifteen-track Basement tapes to indie labels. Yet the bizarre behavior continued: two London appearances were cancelled, and at a May 2002 appearance in Chicago, Smith complained of a hand that had fallen asleep and aborted seven out of thirteen songs. Though his management claimed it was Smith's perfectionist work ethic that kept him from performing, rumors began orbiting about ongoing battles with drugs and alcohol, both subjects frankly documented in Smith's songwriting. Last weekend's Spaceland gig was a benefit for a free needle exchange program aimed at preventing the spread of AIDS and hepatitis among intravenous drug users.

Along the same lines, some of the new material unveiled at the Spaceland show included "Strung Out Again" and the intriguingly titled "A Distorted Reality Is a Necessity to Be Free," according to Sweet Adeline. The subject of most fans' between-songs chatter, however, wasn't the autobiographical bend of his new music, but rather the huge tattoo of Kali, the four-armed Smurf-blue embodiment of vengeance from Indian mythology, that enveloped much of Smith's forearm. We are able to reveal, though, that no actual needles were involved, thanks to the eagle-eyed fan who caught Smith sketching the design himself with a Magic Marker during a set by Beachwood Sparks offshoot The Tyde. Tourdates:

01-24 New York, NY - Bowery Ballrooom
01-25 New York, NY - Bowery Ballrooom
01-31 Los Angeles, CA - Henry Fonda Theater
02-01 Los Angeles, CA - Henry Fonda Theater

*sigh*
there have been lots of rumours and such...and for a while he was not in great shape

fortunately he's getting his life back in order
His last show was great and he seemed to almost 100%

I suspect he will claw back to perfection before too long

butm this album in late spring will be a musical feast

i cannot wait!

Back
Top Bottom