Edun Modestly Priced????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:huh:

I don't quite understand what you are trying to say. Your exessive use of puncuation makes it impossible for me to understand.

MsMofoGone said:

Are you kidding???.... If people DON'T purchase these clothes.....

Then what business does Ms Hewson have in "launching" her own
fashion line, EDUN????? I'd say none at all!!!

Yep.... These clothes are gonna "sit" on the shelves or just
"decorate" store hangers.... since most average people can't afford them....
(Well, Let's all rely on the rich, to help out the rich, in making
a statement regarding helping Fair Trade workers...)
That's the only way her clothes are gonna SELL big-time!!!!

ylimeU2 said:
:huh:

I don't quite understand what you are trying to say. Your exessive use of puncuation makes it impossible for me to understand.

Can you spell???

I can't understand some of your words, because they're
not spelled correctly....

BTW.... I write English ( like everyone else ) so just read the post
a little slower ( if you're having trouble understanding ) and I'm
sure you can figure out what I said......

MsMofoGone said:
That's true !!!

But Saks is a highly OVER PRICED dept store... that most average
middle and lower class people would NOT shop inside. They would go to "cheaper" dept stores instead because they
"can't afford" to shop at Saks 5th Avenue..
A perfect example is this..... I can "afford" to shop at Saks or even Bloomingdale's, but why bother spending money on over-priced clothing???? That's ridiculous... I can spend more money wisely by getting alot more for my money at a "cheaper" and
more "reasonable" dept store ( like Sears, JC Penney's or Kohls..)

Ha! Ha! You buy your clothes at Sears, JC Penny's and Kohls! You are sooooo unfashionable! As if!

Just kidding. :lol: :wink:

Seems to me at least 75% of the "young, hip" crowd spend their money (mostly their parent's money) on extremely "over-priced" clothing though. Aberzombie & Bitch is coming to mind.

jay canseco said:
The whole point of this line is to prove to the 'big' companies that you can hire people at ethical wages plus benefits and still make a fortune. I'd be very surprized if Edun didn't later come out with a line of affordable clothes for us commoners. I think that it's smart to start a small line out with an educated, knowledgable consumer group, rather that mass marketing (high risk) to the 'ignorant masses'. Once it catches on with the elites, the masses may indicate a demand.

:up:

MsMofoGone said:

Can you spell???

I find that what they wrote to be spelled correctly. The excessive usage of punctuations seems like you are yelling.

Anyone know where I can find a transcript of the Saks press conference??

Also, is it just me or does everbody have that Van Dieman's Land lyric running through their heads right now! :lol:

"When an honest maaaaaan sees an honest wage"

kellyahern said:

The bbc report had an interview with a fashion industry person (I don't remember her name) that said the Hewsons have personally put a lot of their own money into this without expecting a return. They aren't going to be seeing a profit from this for years, if ever.

I don't doubt the Hewsons have invested heavily into the Edun company. Someone has to fork out the startup capital and I imagine it was them. There would be more than just the three of them in that company. People will need to be paid, admin, seamstresses, marketing, etc, before any clothes are sold.

With any company it is usally quite some years before startup finance is reimbursed and a profit is shown.

MsMofoGone said:
But, sometimes it's "necessary" to "accentuate" the quotation..
to get the point across!!!

I agree with the others. The quotation marks actually make your posts quite time consuming to read.

If you are wanting to highlight an important point perhaps you could consider placing just that one word in bold. Bold is a bit easier on the eye then quotation marks.

Also quotation marks tend to indicate the word is not being used as intended and that the writer is being sacastic/flirty/derogatory.

kellyahern said:

I don't their goal is to personally make a lot of money. When he said "make a fortune", he didn't mean himself personally. I think he meant that their goal is to show that it is possible to make ethically produced clothes and for a company to still be successful doing so. Other companies are not going to want to follow suit if the line is not successful. The bbc report had an interview with a fashion industry person (I don't remember her name) that said the Hewsons have personally put a lot of their own money into this without expecting a return. They aren't going to be seeing a profit from this for years, if ever.

If the company is simply a successful one, that's fine, but I'm so tired of the wealthy trying to pass themselves off as champions of the poor and then raking in the dough with both hands. I understand that the company must turn a profit to model it for others, but I'd really like to know who is making the money from those prices. I know retail has a 100% mark-up, and I have a reasonable trust in the Hewsons, but 60 clams for a T-shirt is a bit much.

Actually, I can't, no matter how slowly I read it. It seems like you are arguing with yourself.
MsMofoGone said:

Can you spell???

kellyahern said:

I don't their goal is to personally make a lot of money. When he said "make a fortune", he didn't mean himself personally. I think he meant that their goal is to show that it is possible to make ethically produced clothes and for a company to still be successful doing so. Other companies are not going to want to follow suit if the line is not successful. The bbc report had an interview with a fashion industry person (I don't remember her name) that said the Hewsons have personally put a lot of their own money into this without expecting a return. They aren't going to be seeing a profit from this for years, if ever.

And I hope they (or rather their company) does make a profit, and I hope people who can, do shell out the bucks,to prove to those stupid big companies that this *can* work, because the way some people are forced to live in our world is beyond disgusting.
Furthermore, they've just released this line, as with most things, they of course will start out high priced, but I feel certain that given time, more reasonable priced articles (or a subsidary line) will be released.

Last edited:
bono and co. (pun intended) are all about the money. if you guys only realized this now, i feel sorry for you.

MsMofoGone said:

Can you spell???

man, you're a piece of work, you know that? grow up. she's not the only one who has a hard time reading what you're trying to say.

Zoomerang96 said:
bono and co. (pun intended) are all about the money. if you guys only realized this now, i feel sorry for you.

Wow...I must be real slow then...cause I haven't realized it yet. :p
Whether they make money or not, the amout of humanitarian work they have done far out weighs it. If every person could do just one one thousandth of what they've done, the world would be a better place imho.
But hey, thats just my thoughts. :shrug:

:)

~BrightestStar~ said:

Wow...I must be real slow then...cause I haven't realized it yet. :p
Whether they make money or not, the amout of humanitarian work they have done far out weighs it. If every person could do just one one thousandth of what they've done, the world would be a better place imho.
But hey, thats just my thoughts. :shrug:

:)

no, i agree. there are few who've invested as much time and energy into good causes as bono has.

but my point still stands about the band. in this thread, i'm not saying it's bad or good, i'm just saying it is the way it is. they're a massive corporation, and they run accordingly.

it's just that when it comes to music, i like to feel attached to it, and when i feel it's getting to the point where it's almost manufactured, then i'd rather not waste my time.

kellyahern said:

I think he meant that their goal is to show that it is possible to make ethically produced clothes and for a company to still be successful doing so. Other companies are not going to want to follow suit if the line is not successful.

Originally posted by beliWhat we need is for every brand of clothing, from Kmart to Dior, to be produced ethically.

I actually think the clothes are (notice the use of italics to emphasize a word!) are fairly "modestly priced" (quotation marks used here to indicate another person's exact words) for designer clothes. As Beli pointed out, there are many companies which offer more affordable fair trade items. The fact is that there's a huge market for high-end, fashionable, ethically produced clothing. Until fairly recently, most fair trade clothing was scratchy, poorly woven, and shapeless (think 1990's hemp clothes). I think it's a great thing that ethically produced/environmentally friendly clothing is now in fashion.

What are peoples thought's on Edun supplying U2 tour tshirts? Will you purchase one? At what price?

Does anyone know what price the tour tshirts will be? Silly question, I'm guessing noone here knows but it's worth a shot.

To answer one of your questions though, if the quality is somewhat drastically improved from the last 20 years of merchandise, I'll happily buy one and cease my ire at Larry for being a liar about quality being important to them. If anyone cares to argue this, please post your address and I will ship over all 5 of my U2 t-shirts from various eras which have all either shrunk, stretched, warped or lost their print.

The absolute worst one ever is the white One shirt with the gold buffalo wildebeest things running over the front with the ONE written in 28 different languages on the back. Appalling. For 20 cents, a sweatshop would have done a much better job...Oh hang on, ACME brand clothing IS made in sweatshops isn't it?
:cookiemonster:

My Achtung Zooropa shirt is a close second in shit-tastic quality. I dont think these were sold overseas.
:madspit:

People seem to be so quick to jump on the band wagon of negativity!

With all the other humanitarian works the Hewsons are involved in, you think this time they are going to screw everyone over?

What in their past history makes this thought seem viable?

I would think that people should give them the benefit of the doubt before making possibly incorrect assumptions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom