Eddie van Halen vs. The Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whom do you prefer and why?

• Eddie van Halen

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • The Edge

Votes: 37 77.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Canadiens1131

ONE love, blood, life
An interesting pairing. Edge has influenced a slate of alt rock guitarists, whilst Eddie basically defined the guitar sound of rock for a decade.

I think it's a good pairing for a vote because both are very melodic guitar players. Edge is known for his simple melodic lines, and Eddie for his shredding. Still, if you listen to most VH album tracks, Eddie is just 100% all the time. Most of his verse riffs intermingle with the vocal melody and are really fun to pick out and listen to.

Whom do you prefer and why?

Edge all the way. Can Eddie play his guitar? Yes. I don't think he writes good music though. Van Halen has only existed on hype for the last decade or so.

coemgen said:
Edge all the way. Can Eddie play his guitar? Yes. I don't think he writes good music though. Van Halen has only existed on hype for the last decade or so.
You don't like 'Beat It'?

Eddie can solo like a mother fucker and do all those neat finger taps, but can't write himself out of a cardboard box, plus he has a really bad record of picking frontmen.

As much as I like Eddie's solos, I have to say The Edge just for his classic "In God's Country" sound on one hand and his guitar acrobatics of Zooropa and Pop on the other. Diverse.

exactly, edge has made landscapes with his guitar playing, eddie is just a wanker.

I voted for Eddie because long before I listened to U2, I listened to Van Halen. They're both great guitarists! It's a tough call because they both have their own distinctive style. Eddie's lyrics might not have been the greatest, but there's no touching his music. From 1978 to 1996, I would say Eddie had a pretty good run, Granted, after 1996, the world started to discover that Eddie was a big asshole just like Diamond Dave. Of course, our boy Edge has never been an asshole. He also isn't prone to too many masturbatory guitar solos like Eddie, but that's what Eddie was paid to do.
Great Poll btw!

Eddie is a much better guitar player (Beat It :drool:) and I love his shredding but I have to say I prefer Edge, he just well...sounds better.

I voted eddie because he just goes crazy on his guitar, edge just keeps it simple.

Although he's an idiot for taking out diamond dave for sammy hagar, then replacing him for ANOTHER person who I dont even know the name of :shrug:

I think Eddie van Halen is a great guitar player. Unfortunately, he has no great music to support that ability of his. Edge for me.

Every album of VH's, except for the one with Gary Cherone, went multiplatinum. So, one could argue that they've put great music for a long period of time. One might not dig the lyrics of VH's songs, but the music was pretty damned good. Even when Sammy Hagar came on the scene, Van Halen was still a well oiled machine. I love Edge by the way. His sound is immense. Plus it's so different then what Eddie does. If you listen to VH's first 4 albums, you might appreciate Eddie's music a little more.

hahahah - cool pair
both of them rock
but i dont think u could compare them..........
edge is a very careful, constructed, METICULOUS, THOUGHTFUL guitarist - as described by bono "he's the zen master who works very slowly as if he were a calligrapher who takes time to mix the inks" or some shit like that.....haha i couldnt agree more with SIR B :D

as for EVH i voted for him in this poll - no disrespect to ma main man EDGE......u blew me away at your recent melbourne show....U2's melbourne 1 was the best concert i ever attended in my 14 years of concertizin' :D

.......on the subject of EVH, he could be desribed as BOISTOROUS, RAMBUNCTIOUS, and damn well not giving a toss......his approach to guitar playing is "fuk it, if scraping a moving drill on my guitar sounds cool ill go for it" - if anyone remembers the video/track POUNDCAKE)

its like comparing apples and oranges..........both EVH & DEE (Dave Edge Evans :wink: ) rock in their own right.........

Last edited:
Van Halen is a great guitar player

Edge Is an AWESOME musician

Period , Edge wins

Back
Top Bottom