Echo and the Bunnymen recording new album soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GibsonGirl

ONE love, blood, life
http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/...adline=on-parr-with-the-greats-name_page.html

Looks like recording starts in September! :drool: I know there are a few Bunnymen fans around here, or at least it seems like there are from recent posts, so I thought I'd give a heads up. I'm expecting that it will probably something similar to Siberia. Which goes for everything else released over the past ten years, ugh. I'd love to see them try something different, but I honestly doubt it will happen. They're not half the band they used to be (in more ways than one...sorry, that was in bad taste.)

Still, Siberia was a pretty good album. It has grown on me a bit since I got it. Yeah, it's terribly poppy and there's quite a bit of cheese here and there, but the high points - namely the last four songs and Parthenon Drive - are quite good. If there's anything like that on the new album, it should be a solid piece. I'm not getting my hopes up too high, but I'm still excited. My only worry is the state of Ian's voice. True, in most of the videos I've seen from recent live performances, he has been drunk or at the very least tipsy. Still, he has been sounding fairly croaky...

If you guys just want to turn this into a general Bunnymen droolfest rather than talk about the new album, please go ahead. :drool: I'm on a Bunnymen kick lately.

How's that for a coincidence? :drool:

[random] Heaven Up Here could quite possibly be one of the greatest post-punk / 80s alternative albums ever recorded [/random]

I liked the songs from Siberia that you sent me, so that's good.

Radiohead, R.E.M., U2, and Echo albums in '07?

all a good possibility :drool:

Thanks for the heads-up. These guys are one of my favorites and Siberia was pretty excellent.

My pleasure! I'm really interested to see how this one turns out. There really were some great melodies in Siberia. How infectious is the main riff for Make Us Blind? Or the chorus to Parthenon Drive? Definitely a solid album. Anyone else wonder if the title "All Because Of You Days" was intentional? :wink:

GibsonGirl said:
Anyone else wonder if the title "All Because Of You Days" was intentional? :wink:

Not until now! (He said, as he followed GG's Bunnymen love around the board.) I was just trying to recall where I heard that song, because I don't own the album...then I remembered: it's the first song that always came on my Echo & The Bunnymen station on Pandora (a sometimes fun, but mostly frustrating playlist site).

That is a great song, however. I'll be very interested in hearing the new stuff.

I've actually never bought a Bunnymen album :shifty:, and up until today, the only two I had were the amazing Heaven Up Here and Ocean Rain. Both of which also have great cover art that I'd never seen before. It reminds me so much of Newfoundland!

:drool:

echo-ocean.jpg

797193_th.jpg

Secret links :drool:

Evergreen :drool:

:bow:

GG, if you're out there, I'd love to have number 4. Maybe it's a secret link in progress :shifty:

I've been doing some Bunnymen research, and I think I will be buying this in the very near future: http://www.bbc.co.uk/manchester/music/reviews/albums/2002/02/11/live_in_liverpool.shtml

I also found this. It may not be anything new for the lifelong fans, but I grabbed it right away.
http://earfarm.blogspot.com/2006/04/weekend-live-music.html

The band really pull the songs off live in a big way...this impresses me greatly :up:

Dearest Echo fans, I only own their best of 'Ballyhoo'. I have enjoyed it quite a bit, what album or albums should I keep my eyes out for? Which are generallly considered their best/fan favorites? I appreciate your help in advance (unless your help is going to be crap, then I don't appreciate it at all).

u2popmofo said:
I appreciate your help in advance (unless your help is going to be crap, then I don't appreciate it at all).

:lmao:

I need some help too. I don't have anything of theirs, no greatest hits cd.. not even one song on itunes. :|

Ballyhoo is a pretty good best of, Zootlesque. It's a little old and doesn't have any of their recent stuff, but it's a very solid best of for having 18 tracks on it. Lots of stuff to win you over on there.

If you're just asking for some track recommendations, these are a few of their biggest/most popular (yet still good):

The Cutter
Bring on the Dancing Horses
The Killing Moon

angelordevil said:

GG, if you're out there, I'd love to have number 4. Maybe it's a secret link in progress :shifty:

It was indeed a secret link in progress. :shifty: It should be up now!

The band really pull the songs off live in a big way...this impresses me greatly :up:

Their early live stuff is incredible. I have this one version of Crocodiles that is simply out of this world. Ian McCulloch sounds like he's either out of his mind, drunk, or on something. Maybe a combination of all three. Either way, it's incredible. Almost four minutes longer than the album version!

To those curious, here is all you need to know. Heaven Up Here and Ocean Rain are spectacular. Both very different styles, though. Heaven Up Here is strictly post-punk. With Ocean Rain, they introduced a lot of strings and more upbeat arrangements. The title song is so beautiful. Perfect build up at the end. Crocodiles (the debut album) and Porcupine are also very good. Similar to Heaven Up Here in terms of sound. Porcupine is probably the strangest out of all of them.

And that covers the first four albums, which are their best (I think.) The self-titled album came out in 1987. And while the melodies are very good, I think it suffers a bit from the 80s production. There are some sounds on that album that make me want to pull my hair out.

Don't bother with the album they released without Ian McCulloch, it's shit.

When they reformed in 1997, it was to recapture a bit of their 80s sound. It's all a bit middle of the road from that point onwards, but still worth a listen every now and then.

So anyway, final verdict: start with either Heaven Up Here or Ocean Rain then move on to Porcupine and Crocodiles.

EDIT: And if you're interested in their recent stuff, either get Siberia or Evergreen.

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:

:lmao:

I need some help too. I don't have anything of theirs, no greatest hits cd.. not even one song on itunes. :|

Zoots, we could rectify this fairly easily.

:shifty:

I just posted three times in a row. Wow.

GibsonGirl said:

It was indeed a secret link in progress. :shifty: It should be up now!

Your generosity is simply out of this world...like from Pluto, or something. :drool:

Zoots & company, The Killing Moon, and Ocean Rain, both songs from Ocean Rain are simply two of the best songs I've ever heard, seriously. There are others songs, like Over the Wall, from 'Heaven' that are just as stellar, and will make you wonder why you weren't exposed to them before. If you factor in the release dates for these albums, it's easy to see how they were such an influence at the time.

GibsonGirl said:

I have this one version of Crocodiles that is simply out of this world. Ian McCulloch sounds like he's either out of his mind, drunk, or on something. Maybe a combination of all three. Either way, it's incredible. Almost four minutes longer than the album version!

The version in the link I gave earlier is pretty intense, with a few snippets of The Doors and Rolling Stones...great song :drool:

angelordevil said:

The version in the link I gave earlier is pretty intense, with a few snippets of The Doors and Rolling Stones...great song :drool:

Ha, yes, Ian loves to snippet The Doors! They did a few Doors covers actually. Big fans.

I have to download that show. I don't have it. :hmm: Thanks for the link!

GibsonGirl said:

Ha, yes, Ian loves to snippet The Doors! They did a few Doors covers actually. Big fans.

I have to download that show. I don't have it. :hmm: Thanks for the link!

I sensed their Doors appreciation...the People are Strange cover is great! I played Ballyhoo over my mom's stereo on the weekend, and she was especially impressed with that song because of her fondness for the original. I also converted her to the band...she had no idea who they were before, but liked them right away.

Thanks for your links :sexywink:

angelordevil said:
Go to www.fabchannel.com, type 'Echo & The Bunnymen' in the search box on the top right.

I'm now officially sold on their brilliance :love:

That was great! One of the best performances of Scissors In The Sand I've seen. Actually, everything off of Siberia was done well at that show. Ian struggled a little on some of the older songs, but the new songs more than made up for it!

I could have seen them in Vancouver if I had the money for the plane ticket. Hardly anyone good ever comes here! We should petition for quality bands and performers at Mile One. :wink:

GibsonGirl said:

That was great! One of the best performances of Scissors In The Sand I've seen. Actually, everything off of Siberia was done well at that show. Ian struggled a little on some of the older songs, but the new songs more than made up for it!

I could have seen them in Vancouver if I had the money for the plane ticket. Hardly anyone good ever comes here! We should petition for quality bands and performers at Mile One. :wink:

I loved when he screwed up The Killing Moon...he mumbled, "This isn't happening" or something like that. I'll have to watch again. :wink:

But, yes, the Siberia stuff was great. That whole album is pretty stellar...it really impresses me. Scissors In The Sand, All Because Of You Days, Stormy Weather...they're all like classic songs that nobody's really heard outside of their fanbase.

I'm all for petitioning! I actually have a background in this...I once wrote Pearl Jam's fanclub an email describing how incredible Newfoundland is. And, hey, they did show up eventually! It was interesting to witness their Newfoundland appreciation evolve during their stay. The first show was somewhat routine, but by the second night, they were inserting St. John's references into songs and talking about hiking up Signal Hill.

I actually think there's a reasonable chance of The Arcade Fire coming here in the near future. The Bunnymen would be a stretch, unless we went door-to-door with a CD and got people to listen. :wink:

Siberia kicks ass. Just wanted to say that.

And oh, the Crystal Days collection is gold too.

This site has way too few Echo & The Bunnymen fans.

Zoot., did the lovely GibsonGirl provide you with some stellar material, and have you listened to it?

U2Man said:
Zoot., did the lovely GibsonGirl provide you with some stellar material, and have you listened to it?

She did. :love: After a few listenings, I have finally warmed up to some of the songs on Crocodiles! It's amazing how much these guys sound like early U2!!! :ohmy: Or how much early U2 sounds like these guys!

Back
Top Bottom