Echo & the Bunnymen Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tarvark

Acrobat
I am looking to get in to Echo & the Bunnymen as the group has been recomened to me a number of times, under the context of me liking U2 and other bands.

Where is a good place to start?

Do you like this band? Whats it like?

I trust this board's musical tastes immensly.

Start with Crododiles (early Bunnymen were an influence on U2's earlier albums) and then get Ocean Rain (think really big orchestral songs)..both albums are masterpieces..I'm not too keen on Porcupine, and and I haven't heard Heaven Up Here yet, so perhaps someone else can talk about that one

listen to the song The Cutter

it's such a great song and an obvious influence to Edge's playing

Porcupine is a decent album to start with... I just saw them last week in concert, and it seems like the material from that record has the most resonance with the fans.

The Cutter, The Back Of Love, and Never Stop are great tracks. Some folks around here may recognize Lips Like Sugar, since Coldplay has covered it live a handful of times.

My recommendation would be to stay away from any of their newer offerings... such as Siberia. Heaven Up Here is what most people will steer you towards.

Last edited:
Also, if you're wary of buying a whole album, the "Songs to Learn & Sing" collection from 1985 helpfully anthologizes a number of their near-hits.

(Were they hits?? I have no idea. It's a great place to start, anyway.)

You will not believe how utterly pissed off I am. I just made a massive post about what a great band Echo And The Bunnymen are, complete with sample songs for you to listen to...and got the fucking 45 second rule error. My entire post got wiped. I hate that bloody rule.

I'm too irritated to post something of the length I was going to post before, so please forgive me for the shortness. Anyway, as I said, great band. First three albums were post-punk, fourth one was something else completely. From that point on, their music has sadly declined into the depressing world of adult contemporary rock/pop. If I were you, I'd buy their first four albums in order to hear the magnificent journey from Crocodiles to Ocean Rain. Personally, I wouldn't bother with anything beyond that point. My favourite album is Porcupine, with Ocean Rain and Heaven Up Here coming in as close seconds. Crocodiles is very strong too.

Here's a link to the original songs I uploaded. It's a zip file...I originally uploaded them song by song, but I just don't have the time to do that again. Just have a listen to them, see if you like them:

http://s39.yousend it.com/d.aspx?id=3SHLSPNPB5FIX3FYYI57FCSC8H

From Crocodiles (1980)
Going Up
Rescue
Crocodiles

From Heaven Up Here (1981)
Show Of Strength
Over The Wall
All My Colours (*)

From Porcupine (1983)
The Cutter
Porcupine
Heads Will Roll
Ripeness

From Ocean Rain (1984)
The Killing Moon (**)
My Kingdom
Ocean Rain

* All My Colours is one of the most haunting/depressing songs the Bunnymen have ever done. If you're into Joy Division, you'll probably appreciate this one. I adore it.

What do you say when your heart's in pieces / How to play those cards in sequence / That box you gave me burned nicely / That box you gave me burned nicely

** The Killing Moon is, in my opinion, has one of the best melodies they've ever written.

Under blue moon I saw you / So soon you'll take me / Up in your arms / Too late to beg you or cancel it / Though I know it must be the killing time / Unwillingly mine...

Oh, by the way, between Television and Echo and the Bunnymen, it's pretty easy to see how The Edge's early guitar work was influenced.

Last edited:
Thankyou soo much! I am sorry about your post. It has not gone in vain though. I am listening to some fine tunage as we speak and am really gratful!

I will listen more and reply in detail. Thankyou agian!

Some of the later stuff is well worth a listen,Evergreen is still one of my favourite albums, and it took a while but recently I've been listening to Flowers again & I'm really getting into that as well, goes without saying most of their '80's output is class

I'm going to see them play in Philly on Tuesday. Woohoo!!!

The Killing Moon

Under blue moon I saw you
So soon you'll take me
Up in your arms, too late to beg you
Or cancel it, though I know it must be
The killing time
Unwillingly mine

Fate
Up against your will
Through the thick and thin
He will wait until
You give yourself to him

In starlit nights I saw you
So cruelly you kissed me
Your lips a magic world
Your sky all hung with jewels
The killing moon
Will come too soon

Fate
Up against your will
He will wait until
You give yourself to him

Under blue moon I saw you
So soon you'll take me
Up in your arms, too late to beg you
or cancel it though I know it must be
The killing time
Unwillingly mine

Fate
Up against your will
He will wait until
You give yourself to him

Fate
Up against your will
He will wait until
You give yourself to him
You give yourself to him

La la la la la...

martha said:
I saw them live more than 20 years ago. :|

They were very good.

I think I was there as well Martha... I only knew some of their earlier stuff, never kept up with them. Love 'The Killing Moon' :up:

martha said:
I saw them live more than 20 years ago. :|

They were very good.

ok, I'm jealous. I abhor going to see bands past their prime, but it's my first time ever seeing Echo and I wouldn't be going if it weren't for a very special lady. :love:

I'm so jealous of those of you who saw Echo & the Bunnymen during their height!

Numb1075 said:
I own Ocean Rain and think it's fantastic.

As do I. :drool: Have you heard much from their first three albums? Very good as well.

I too only have Ocean Rain, which is excellent. Haven't gotten around to their other albums, but they've all been remastered with bonus tracks and sound superb (at least Ocean Rain does).

The remastered tracks sound brilliant. I have the remastered Heaven Up Here and Porcupine, and it's wonderful how crisp and clear they both sound. I listened to All My Colours followed by Gloria today, and it was amazing how different they both sounded despite being released in the same year. So I really think U2 need to remaster their early albums as well - the difference is astounding.

Saw Echo last night in Philly. It was actually a much better show than I thought it would be considering there's only two original members. Ian was chain smoking the whole show, but his voice was fantastic and the band sounded huge. And they played all the hits. Good times and a very good show.

U2Man said:
Anyone who has listened to SIBERIA?

It's brilliant :drool:

I don't have that one yet...what I've heard of their work from 1997 and onwards doesn't appeal that much to me, so I haven't bothered to check Siberia out. Is it as adult pop-rock orientated as Evergreen is?

Back
Top Bottom