Earthquake in Los Angeles!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ya ever get pissed when you're really jonsed to use the "i hope bono's okay" joke, ya get almost to the end of the thread and finally you see that someone's already used it and you got served?

yea. that just happened.

That just happened to me now as I was going through this thread. Thankfully I got to use the joke earlier today in the bar not long after the earthquake.

And I'm glad everyone is safe and sound. :up:

Wow, BAWs, you guys got hit hard. I didn't expect to see that. Watching the news from out here I forget how scary those things used to be. I can't say I miss them at all. We didn't feel anything out here, it was centered too far west.

I'm really glad you guys are ok.

Were there any broken wine glasses? :hyper:

:lol:

I didn't notice it until a few hours after the earthquake, but everything in my china cabinet either moved or fell, including some wineglasses, but nothing broke :wink:

We're about 5 miles from the epicenter and this was probably the scariest quake I've ever felt. We had no major damage but tons of stuff fell off of shelves and broke, the pictures that didn't fall off the walls are crooked and a bunch of stuff fell and broke in the backyard.

Rick's office took the worst hit. Almost everything fell, a lot of it broke but the funniest thing was the lamp hanging upside down from the bookshelf!

IMG_3950.jpg

IMG_3941.jpg

IMG_3943.jpg

My computer fell off my desk but luckily landed on my shredder or it would have taken my monitor and speakers down with it :yikes:

IMG_3938.jpg

I was standing next to my dresser when the shaking started and drawers started flying open and perfume bottles came at me :(

IMG_3940.jpg

Some pictures fell from my bookshelf, the magazines and my Bose docking station moved a few inches but I'm happy to report that BONO IS OKAY!!! Everyone can breath a sigh of relief now...I know I am :wink:

IMG_3951.jpg

OK, to me that is realllllly scary. I am really happy your ok.

You know, lived in LA for a decade, experienced a handful of quakes, but not one of them ever broke anything in my house, or really even knocked anything down/over. I remember one almost made me vomit, it was one of those rolling types, as opposed to the ones where you just shake.

I can see how the prospect of them can be quite scary, but I never lived through any of the major ones, and so like Laz, considered it a trade-off for the weather and such.

Glad glad glad that everyone is ok!

It's definitely a trade off w/ the weather, esp if you live here at the beach. It's paradise 99.9 % of the time. We even get a break from the smog. Yeah, you pay for it in rent, but what cha gonna do? I'm never goin' back to Illinois, no way no how.

That said, today was a bit anxiety ridden, and I'm grateful for my glass of Estancia Zinfandel right now.

:ohmy:

I'm glad to hear all of you are ok, the pics are scary!

I cannot even imagine living with the constant fear of earthquakes, it must be so scary.

My brother was on vacation on the Greek island of Rhodos a couple of weeks ago and one morning they had quite a strong earthquake, it was reported all over the news. He said everyone was panicking and people were running out of the hotels and other buildings and gathered on the beach. It was the first real quake he experienced.

I'm so glad we don't have that here.

i was at work when the quake happened. there was alot of shaking, and i sat down on the floor near my desk. i was afraid to go under my desk like everyone else was diving for. as soon as i got the ok i sped on home to daisy. she was a bit freaked, but she recovered quickly as she is now obsessed with the news she has been watching on the quake this morning. yeah i dont like them...they still freak me out. deep breath...sigh.

It's definitely a trade off w/ the weather, esp if you live here at the beach. It's paradise 99.9 % of the time. We even get a break from the smog. Yeah, you pay for it in rent, but what cha gonna do? I'm never goin' back to Illinois, no way no how.

That said, today was a bit anxiety ridden, and I'm grateful for my glass of Estancia Zinfandel right now.

I lived down in Redondo Beach for two amazing years. Rent was insane, but, so what? I heard the ocean when I went to sleep. Unreal. I miss it.

RB? Damn, it must have been nice. I love that area.:up:

I lived on Esplanade, across the street from the ocean. I posted a photo or two in my journal/blog of the view from my balcony. It truly was amazing, and every night, I'd drive home, see the water and be like "I can't fucking believe I live here". It never got old.

Were there any broken wine glasses? :hyper:
No, but she coulda' used a smoke if you know what I mean!!!! :lol:

The BAW's and redkat live just over 4 miles apart; seems from her description we had more things fall and break; we live in a tri-level home and its odd how a number of our neighbors were skipped, I mean, one mile east of us there was severe damage, one mile west of us, foundations cracked, walls fell and yet we just had falling objects on the third floor....weird...

We've had some minor aftershocks that are barely felt; our pictures are still off the wall for a few more days..heard an interesting story yesterday...

Went to the gym and asked if there was any damage; I learned that a few tiles from the interior ceiling but no one was hurt...there had been a guy swimming and in the seconds before the quake hit, he was underwater and said he heard some of the strangest noises ever...he resurfaced for air and within moments, it was on!

I'm not a scientist but I'm assuming water does transmit noises even when they aren't heard or felt from up top...:shrug:

true story at disneyland...

a lady went to city hall near the main entrance after the earthquake hit. she asked why the attractions were shut down. the guy at the front desk said..."well, there was an earthquake and we had to shut the attractions down, evacuate everyone for their safety, and do some tests to make sure the attractions are safe. "then the lady asked "why was there an earthquake?" guy at the front desk had to bite his lip for a few seconds...then he said..."its fun, why not!"

true story at disneyland...

a lady went to city hall near the main entrance after the earthquake hit. she asked why the attractions were shut down. the guy at the front desk said..."well, there was an earthquake and we had to shut the attractions down, evacuate everyone for their safety, and do some tests to make sure the attractions are safe. "then the lady asked "why was there an earthquake?" guy at the front desk had to bite his lip for a few seconds...then he said..."its fun, why not!"

Oh boy...

Back
Top Bottom