Earthquake!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MsPurrl

Blue Crack Supplier
I imagine you folks from California will be shaking your heads at our little baby earthquake this morning (5.4), but it's a rude awakening at 5:30 a.m. We don't get much of this stuff here in Indiana. And there was an aftershock just a few minutes ago! :yikes:

Yeah, when we get 'em that 5.4 is just a bump in the night....now that I've jinxed us...:yikes:

Just hold on, ride it out and know that it will end soon..

Re: Indiana, that's about the 2nd or 3rd in the past year or two, isn't it???

"They" say that we have several a year, but not strong enough to notice. We are pretty close to the famous New Madrid Fault, I guess. Apparently we've had SIX aftershocks since the first quake. My boss says to get under my desk if we get more! :lol:

We live right by train tracks, so we all woke to the sensation of our beds being yanked around and thought "Wow, that's a hell of a big train" before realizing there was no train. No huge thrill, but the kids were pretty excited about it. And yeah, this was apparently part of the New Madrid fault system, just a northeastern spur of it (the Wabash Valley fault).

It woke me up. I just felt the bed shaking, and after a few seconds of it I was like "Yep, that's an earthquake." After it stopped I looked at the clock, and then I went back to sleep.

Of course, it's all they're talking about on the news. There's been some damage in the area (mainly in southern Illinois), including bricks falling off of buildings, cracked concrete, and some woman's porch collapsed. Also they say some bricks fell off a building all the way in Louisville.

It was the biggest since 1968, and was reportedly felt from Michigan to Atlanta. Wild. Of course, the big ones we had in 1811-1812 here made churchbells in Boston ring, created a lake, altered the southwest Kentucky/northwest Tennessee border, and made the Mississippi river run backwards for a few hours.

As it is, this area apparently has miniscule earthquakes as often as several times a month which are too small to feel, but that relieve pressure on the faultline, making the occurance of big ones less likely.

But still, we've had at least 3 or 4 of at least a 4.0 magnitude in the last two years. And they say we're due for a 6.0 or greater (90% chance of it) in the next 50 years. So basically, we're all gonna die and the St. Louis arch is gonna tumble into the Mississippi river. Due to the intraplate location, and the type of faultline, quakes here are more strongly felt, and cause more damage for their size than California quakes.

I blame Daylight Savings Time. :wink:

I was half-awake between the roomie's 5:15 alarm and a weird dream I was having, when my bed just started rocking. I wasn't scared, I just had the creeps really bad. We had a tremor a few years ago in RI that woke me up, too, but mostly because my bedframe was banging on the wall and there was a deep, low rumble. It was dead quiet this morning; even the bird in the tree outside the window was quiet. I accused the roomie of shaking the house when he got out of the bathroom, and he accused me of mild insanity as he didn't feel a thing. Good times.

I work with a girl who moved here from southern California a few months ago and slept through the 7.8 or whatever they had about 10 years ago. She was laughing her ass off all morning, and can't wait to call her family back home and tell them about the drama. :giggle:

DreamOutLoud13 said:
Of course, it's all they're talking about on the news. There's been some damage in the area (mainly in southern Illinois), including bricks falling off of buildings, cracked concrete, and some woman's porch collapsed. Also they say some bricks fell off a building all the way in Louisville.

They showed this picture from Louisville on the news this morning:

62076.jpg

The morning anchor said he couldn't tell if the whole building was down or if it was just some damage to the facade.

That was about when I heard the entire state of California start to laugh. :wink:

Well, between the loud booming noise and the flashing lights in the sky on Wednesday night (since "explained" as either meteors or the National Guard setting off flares on a training mission, depending on what you read) and the little baby quake and the aftershocks today, it's just been a rollicking couple of days here in central Indianer. :wink: I haven't been so agog since the hogs ate my baby sister!!

I live in Champaign, Illinois (the eastern center of the state and proud home of the 2005 Fighting Illini men's college basketball team) and I was awoken from a peaceful drunken beer-pong sleep by the quake! CRAZY. The first I can ever remember since our family moved here in '89.

And we got an aftershock, too. NUTS.

Weird, wild stuff.

do what now?!

MsPurrl said:
Well, between the loud booming noise and the flashing lights in the sky on Wednesday night (since "explained" as either meteors or the National Guard setting off flares on a training mission, depending on what you read) and the little baby quake and the aftershocks today, it's just been a rollicking couple of days here in central Indianer. :wink: I haven't been so agog since the hogs ate my baby sister!!

:lol:

After our recent Tornado Tuesdays and now an earthquake, I have to say I REALLY miss the three days of Hurricane Watches while buying masking tape, milk, eggs, and bread, and planning the hurricane party I grew up with!

^ I've waited all day to post that...

Some of the famous quotes from Hoosiers today on local media:

I saw a fish jump out of the White River...I am not sure if it was for the quake or to catch a bug

Do you think it is safe for me to drive my motorcycle today?

newscaster referring to the above picture of Louisville: "I am not sure if that is a whole building or just a facade"

Whole building? they must have some small buildings in Louisville.

I missed the whole thing while showering.

My bed was shaking and my night table's handle was banging. I noted the time and thought "someone is having an earthquake". When I got up I checked the news on the computer -- and sure enough there was one. Husband slept right through it:ohmy:

Schmeg said:

They showed this picture from Louisville on the news this morning:

62076.jpg

The morning anchor said he couldn't tell if the whole building was down or if it was just some damage to the facade.

That was about when I heard the entire state of California start to laugh. :wink:

:tsk: calli :tsk:

I have heard of that New MadriD FAULT AND the big on back then.:yokes:

next 50 yrs? :yikes:

Back
Top Bottom