Duran Duran reunion shows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oktobergirl

Refugee
So, is anyone else going?

They are playing:
1. Orange County, CA , Pacific Amphitheater on July 16 ( almost sold out)
2. Las Vegas, NV Hard Rock Hotel, The Joint July 17
3. Las Vegas, NV Hard Rock Hotel, The Joint July 19 ( sold out)

I am going to the Orange County show. I'm so psyched!

they're having a "real" tour in 2004. for now, those have been the only dates listed. at first, only the japan dates (in early july, before the u.s. dates) were announced, with no plans to add any u.s. dates. then like a day or two later, the california date was added. then another day or so later, the joint's website had listed that they'd be playing (it was the 19th i think, whatever the sold out date is.) but their webmaster (who is completely worthless imo) was denying it. so like a couple days later, she finally confirmed it. then another date was added. this was like a month ago, so i don't think they'll be adding any more since they haven't added any since then.

i should also add that since the fivesome reunited in may of 2001, they've been working on the album. two years later, they're still working on songs. :mad: any opportunity they'll have will probably be long gone and the album will bomb if they don't put out the album soon. it's supposed to come out in late 2003/early 2004. i've been a huge fan since 1995, and i've seen them be the cause of their own fall of popularity, because they seem to have no concept of striking while the iron's hot.

this time last year they had a great manager (miles copeland), but now they've parted ways. they may or may not have a record deal (rumour has it that they signed a $30 million deal with arista, but of course their camp hasn't confirmed or denied this.) so they've really been sitting on their asses.

okay sorry to rattle on, i'm sure that's way more than anyone was wanting to know. bonochick is the resident ryan adams expert, and i'm the resident duran duran expert.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I knew she'd show up! :)
hehe...yes, with a novel's worth of useless info to post!

btw, you guys have no idea how much i wanted to go. they were even offering packages for the 7/19 vegas show, including accommodations at mandalay bay, a meet and greet with the band, signed stuff, tickets, stuff like that. but it was $2000 - not even including airfare! i was actually considering taking out a loan to pay for it, but then i was thinking i'd have to take out enough to pay for two or i'd have no one to take with me. $4k is enough to make a down payment on a car!

so now i'll just wait until the 2004 tour. :(

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Rio is SO much better. :mac:

i do really like that song, khan :hyper:
:applaud: i love that song. i love the video too. john and nick are so hot (it's one of the few times nick didn't have a ton of makeup on).

a little sidenote about the video: the band, the director, everyone slept with the girl in that video. oh, and of course there's the now more well-known fact that the video took three days to shoot, and the first day was wasted with the crew and band being totally seasick.

Update: Another show has been added, albiet small and prolly impossible to get tickets for. I consider myself lucky to be living in LA but I'm sure I will have only a 10-15% chance of getting ticekts. This one is prolly a hype show to draw in record company interest.... they were interviewed on KROQ this morning by Kevin and bean and they announced the show on there. That show is VERY highly listening too. so now every yahoo in town is going to try and get tickets for the show. ARGH!!!!!!!!

LIVE IN LOS ANGELES....

Duran Duran LIVE at the Roxy, Los Angeles on July 15th

DKNY//JEANS and The Fader Magazine Present
Duran Duran at the Roxy in Los Angeles, July 15th

Original lineup of band returns for first US show together in 18 years, celebrating their 25th anniversary at the first U.S. venue they ever played.

The original lineup of Duran Duran -Simon Le Bon, Nick Rhodes, John Taylor, Andy Taylor and Roger Taylor - will perform live together for the first time in the US in 18 years on July 15th with a concert at Los Angeles's Roxy Theatre presented by DKNY//JEANS and The Fader magazine.

Tickets are $25.00 and will go on sale on Monday, July 14th at noon at the Roxy Box Office.

The venue holds a great deal of history for the leaders of the "Second British Invasion" of the 1980s. The Roxy was the first U.S. venue at which Duran Duran ever performed, making it an apt place for the band to celebrate the 25th anniversary of their formation.

DKNY//JEANS and The Fader magazine are coming together to help reintroduce Duran Duran to a new generation. Through different platforms, both brands support the iconic music that inspire emerging artists who shape culture.

Susan Davidson, President of DKNY//JEANS, says "DKNY//JEANS is thrilled to be sponsoring such an innovative band at such an historic time. Through their music, Duran Duran became synonymous with originality, sexiness, and cool. DKNY//JEANS reflects that same sensibility through its fashion and lifestyle designs. The band and the brand are a perfect match."

In a move dubbed by British music bible, the NME, as one of 2003's most exciting musical developments, the entire original, five member line-up of Duran Duran has reunited in time for its 25th anniversary. The band is currently working on a new album, slated for a 2004 release. In addition, the band will be playing a series of special shows, and releasing several commemorative items before their new album hits stores early next year, including a Greatest Hits DVD, re-issues of classic Duran Duran albums, the launch of a new fan community, and more.

Launched in 1999, New York-based The FADER magazine is an international music-driven lifestyle publication covering music, fashion, art, and politics. The magazine, which has enjoyed notable success in a difficult advertising environment, has recently expanded from four to six issues per year. The FADER's circulation is 75,000 with 500,000 readers. The FADER is available for sale (US $5.95) at Tower Records, Virgin Megastores, HMV, Barnes & Noble, Borders and newsstands worldwide.

In addition, Simon & Nick will be calling in to The Kevin and Bean Show on KROQ radio in Los Angeles at around 8AM PST on July 9th to talk about their current Japanese tour and their upcoming US dates.

By the way, if anyone is interested here is the set list from their first show the other night in Japan. The sheer fact that they are playing New Religion is worth the ticket price right there.

*dies at the thought of knowing I will hear the most perfect rhythm section of Roger and John Taylor in one week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FRIENDS OF MINE
HUNGRY LIKE THE WOLF
PLANET EARTH
COME
UNDONE
WHAT HAPPENS TOMORROW (new)
NEW RELIGION
VIRUS (new)
WHITE LINES
WAITING FOR THE NIGHTBOAT
STILL BREATHING (new)
SAVE A PRAYER
ORDINARY WORLD
A VIEW TO A KILL
REACH UP FOR THE SUNRISE (new)
NOTORIOUS ~ WE ARE FAMILY
WILD BOYS
CARELESS MEMORIES
RIO

encore:
THE REFLEX
GIRLS ON FILM

WOW! They even played "Friends of Mine" & "Waiting For The Nightboat." Holy shit, I luv those songs! Kinda surprised to see them playing White Lines, but oh well. There are much better tunes they could've played instead.

oktobergirl said:
The sheer fact that they are playing New Religion is worth the ticket price right there.
agreed. if it's half as good as it was when they used to play it, then omigor.

as for the new gig, a lot of people are PISSED. this show is cheaper and is before the costa mesa gig. a lot of people shelled out big bucks to travel to california to see them play (the tickets were really expensive because you got fair tickets too i believe), and now this much cheaper gig comes along. of course, you'd have to change your travel plans to see this one, so everyone's stuck. :mad: they're just being so damn unorganized about these dates, just tossing them around and announcing them when they feel like it.

oh, and while i love the looks of the japan setlist, i'm ticked that they ignored all their post-1985 content, save two tired songs off of the wedding album. there may be more to this like andy could be refusing to play a lot of the later material or something, but this setlist just makes them look like they're doing one of those cheapo reunion tours you saw other 80s acts do in the late 90s. it's also kinda insulting to the fans who've stuck by them through thick and thin, the few who would still call themselves fans when liberty came out. to ignore notorious, big thing, liberty, medazzaland, and pop trash...it's an insult.

however, i'm thrilled to see some of the choices they made in songs. friends of mine? new religion? night boat? they could've only made it better had they played secret oktober. but at least i got to hear that song when i saw them in 2001. :D

btw, this and the other japan gigs will be available for sale (i forget the website) on cd. it'll be interesting to listen to, as i've only heard "what happens tomorrow" (a studio version, not from this concert).

Yes, I know a lot of people are pissed and I'm not fond of the way DD announced their OC and Vegas shows. BUT, in their defense, I have to say that the ROXY show would have provided VERY FEW fans with tickets as opposed to the OC show. The OC show is sold out, and I believe it seats a total of 19,000. The Roxy seats maybe 300 people. The Roxy is pretty much there for up and coming bands. When a band of DD's stature plays the roxy ( or any other established band), more than usual it's an industry thing and many times the general public arent' even given a chance to get tickets.

One thing that does piss me off is that KROQ is advertising this ROXY show like everyone is going to get tickets! That pisses me off because now every yahoo in town in going to be in line come next Monday for tickets!!!

My own personal hunch is that this is a marketing tactic to drum up interest and generate more hype for a more lucrative record deal. ( they need one , you know...)

Thanks. I am going to try and get tickets. I'm just not going to get my hopes up. I'm going the next night in OC so all hopes not lost!

KhanadaRhodes said:

. it's also kinda insulting to the fans who've stuck by them through thick and thin, the few who would still call themselves fans when liberty came out. to ignore notorious, big thing, liberty, medazzaland, and pop trash...it's an insult.

I rather liked "Liberty." I know noone else did. It has one of my fave "newer" DD songs: My Antarctica. and also Serious.

HeadsOnSticks said:
I rather liked "Liberty." I know noone else did. It has one of my fave "newer" DD songs: My Antarctica. and also Serious.
i liked most of it. i can listen to it all the way through, i don't hate anything enough that i must run to the stereo to turn it off on that album, and most fans like the album now, at least where serious and my antarctica is concerned.

the two albums that some fans seem to not like at first and then get into a couple years later are liberty and medazzaland. i can't really understand how anyone would need to take a while to get into the beauty that is medazzaland, but oh well.

CAn I be honest? I don't even own Meddazland. :reject: I KNOW! I love "Electric Barbarella" though. Maybe I should go pick it up today. What's it comparable to?

HeadsOnSticks said:
CAn I be honest? I don't even own Meddazland. :reject: I KNOW! I love "Electric Barbarella" though. Maybe I should go pick it up today. What's it comparable to?
wow! i look at it kinda like U2's pop. it's sort of a departure from their previous works, it's a bit more dark and it's more electronic than their older stuff. but i love it to death.

oh, and they did "stuck" before U2 did. :wink: simon wrote a song about michael hutchence on that album (look at the track listing, it's easy to figure which song it is) about his life and such. they had a concert on the night he died and he sang the song as a tribute to him.

i'll def pick it up then. i love dark albums.

BTW..."Khanada" is my fave b-side Ms. Rhodes!

HeadsOnSticks said:
i'll def pick it up then. i love dark albums.

BTW..."Khanada" is my fave b-side Ms. Rhodes!
:applaud: it's one of my favourites too. i also love their live cover of cockney rebel's come up and see me.

when you get medazzaland, let me know what you think of it. :D

btw, with all this talk of medazzaland, i had to give it a listen. :up:

and for any fans reading this, you may be happy to hear about their first dvd release:

DURAN DURAN: GREATEST DVD is coming in September. We will fill you in as we know more:

DVD 1:

1. Planet Earth *
2. Girls On Film (Long uncensored version) *
3. The Chauffeur
4. Hungry Like The Wolf
5. Save A Prayer
6. Rio
7. Is There Something I Should Know?
8. Union Of The Snake *
9. New Moon On Monday (E.P Version) *
10. The Reflex
11. Wild Boys (Long Arena Version) *
12. A View To A Kill

DVD 2:
1. Notorious
2. Skin Trade
3. I Don't Want Your Love
4. All She Wants Is
5. Serious *
6. Burning The Ground
7. Ordinary World
8. Come Undone (Uncensored version) *
9. Electric Barbarella

This DVD also contains alternate versions of the videos marked * along with interview footage, EPK's, Le Galerie De Duran and a DVD-ROM section.

DVD-ROM Section contains:

Weblink to the official Duran Duran website
Is There Something I Should Know? - 40 odd minute audio only question and answer session recorded with Nick and Simon 1999

Photo Gallery - featuring over 80 images from throughout the band's career

Lyrics to all songs featured on the DVD

A screen saver and wallpapers

All audio will be remastered LPCM stereo

so i'm curious to find out about these alternate versions. i've got every version of every duran duran video in existence (seriously! it's about 12 hours long when you factor in the solo stuff, power station, and arcadia) and i can't figure this out. is there an even longer, more obscene (by mtv's standards, not mine) version of girls on film in existence? i'm wondering if the version of new moon on monday is the 15 minute one i've got. i didn't know there was an uncensored version of come undone.

don't you know i'll have this baby pre-ordered on amazon.com so it can be in my mailbox the day it's released! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom