Dumping a tv show. Does it pain you so?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevster2k

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Well. I have stopped watching Desperate Housewives as of a couple of weeks ago. I haven't watched most of the Amazing Race and I think I will probably dump Grey's Anatomy soon. Lost was on the edge there for a while but hasn't lost me.........yet. Heroes has my total undivided attention while 24 is now like comfortable old shoes, they don't look that great but they feel fantasic on my feet.

Do you feel conflicted when you decide to give up on a show? Is it like ending a friendship or do you feel any guilt for dropping your support?

Initially, I feel like I am missing out but eventually don't miss it at all.

I don't watch much TV regularly. The only show that has my current undivided attention is Lost. I'd count South Park, but they're seasons are so short it hardly counts.

But I was following The Riches for a few weeks, before I got bored and let it go.

I watched the first 2 and a half season of Nip/Tuck religiously until my job/school made me unable to do so. It hurt to leave that show, but I have since caught up with DVD's.

DVD shows:drool:

Greatest use of DVD yet!!

It helps ease the pain!! Like being able to have an Arrested Development fix anytime.

I was recording the whole season of "The L-Word" on DVR but never got a chance to watch it, or there was always something else I wanted to watch instead, and now that my DVR is 99% full I had to delete it. It was between that and "Lost" but I still think I'll get around to watching "Lost." Bye bye L-Word.

trevster2k said:
Do you feel conflicted when you decide to give up on a show? Is it like ending a friendship or do you feel any guilt for dropping your support?

Initially, I feel like I am missing out but eventually don't miss it at all.

Not really. If I stop watching a show, it's because I can't stand to watch it any more.

If I ever wanted to get back into it, I'd watch online or get the DVD's. No guilt there.

After dropping a show, I like the time that it frees up, so I generally end up feeling better that I'm no longer watching.

It was tough having to dump The X-Files. As the sixth season went on, I realised I just couldn't watch it anymore. Fight The Future (while being a reasonably good movie by X-Files standards) ruined the show completely. I tried to get back into it later on, only to find that Scully and Mulder had essentially been replaced. Seeing Doggit and Reyes there instead (I don't even know if I'm spelling their names correctly, and I don't care enough to look them up) just broke my heart.

Season one through five (and especially four) X-Files forever.

I don't watch too many shows regularly anymore. House was really one of the only ones, and since I had to teach until 9 on Tuesdays last semester, I missed it. Now that shows are available on DVD, I'm less likely to get sucked in when they're on TV. For instance, I was trying to keep up with the Sopranos for awhile, but I just decided to start over and rent them. I'm planning to do the same with the seasons of Six Feet Under that I missed.

I watched X-Files 'til the bitter end, but unfortunately, I'm still a little bitter about it.

I liked Lost the first 3 weeks I watched it, then I forgot to watch one week, and realized I didn't care.

It felt good to finally dump ER some years ago, and while I liked The Riches for the first few weeks, I grew bored and it didn't pain me at all to drop it.

I think the only shows I've really and truly loved either came to their natural end (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), or an unnatural end thanks to unfair cancellations (Arrested Development, Andy Richter Controls the Universe), or I caught onto them via DVD (The Sopranos, Angel) and got to watch all of it in a short span of time.

corianderstem said:
I watched X-Files 'til the bitter end, but unfortunately, I'm still a little bitter about it.

I don't know how you managed that without causing yourself bodily harm. By the middle of season six, I was practically tearing my hair out over the sheer lack of effort that was going into the writing of each episode. I wasn't even able to sit through the series finale. I watched virtually nothing between season seven and season nine, so I was very out of the loop. For old times' sake, I figured I should at least watch the very last episode of what was once my favourite show. The moment Scully mentioned to Mulder that she was having their son I changed the channel.

Why did The X-Files have to jump the shark, why? :(

I watched X-Files religiously in college, but pretty much after the movie came out it was on a steady downward slope and I lost interest quickly.

I basically gave up on this season of Survivor. I don't feel sad b/c for the past 5 episodes I'd start watching and then find myself on the computer in another room or something. Now, I watch the last 10 minutes because I'm waiting in anticipation of CSI. :D

There's a lot of season 9 of XF that I don't even remember. I have a fondness for the final episode, but things had gotten so messed up by that point, it's not a huge fondness.

There was a lot I enjoyed post-movie (I really liked most of season 7 ... heck, I even came to like Doggett, although Reyes was horrid and unbearable), but it definitely went downhill. And the whole baby thing was the absolute NADIR in show/character assasination. Utter bullshit.

The problem with the X-Files after the movie was that the mythology took priority over the characters and one-off episodes. It was the one-offs that made the show great. :tsk:

Back to topic, the only time I feel guilty for dumping a show is when it was messed with by the studio. For example, I left Lost after the 2nd season because it was going in the wrong direction but didn't feel guilty because it was Abrams fault. Had it been the studio who set out the new direction then I would feel guilty because the show didn't have a chance.

I gave up on Lost at the beginning of Season 3. I also stopped watching Alias after the 2nd season, so something's up JJ Abrams.

Charmed was a cool show too (Charlie's Angels meets witchcraft) but it jumped the shark.

I don't watch very many TV shows but tend to get emotionally attached to the ones I do watch, so my break-ups with them tend to be painful.

I was a total X-Files addict, but the second Scully said the fatal words, "I'm pregnant" I was outta there. I knew it would ruin the show. I was bitter about it for a long, long time.

I also loved the Gilmore Girls right up until the time Rory slept with her married ex-boyfriend and then tried to justify her actions by saying he was her first boyfriend and belonged to her or some such nonsense. I kind of wanted to keep watching to see what happened after Luke and Lorelei finally kissed, but I wasn't quite invested enough in them as a couple to put up with Rory.

I can't remember exactly when I bailed on Smallville. I think it was when I began to see a Lex Luthor/Lana Lane romance on the horizon. Retch! What would a badass, sophisticated guy like Lex see in that whiny little girl?

I was waiting for Otis to pop up in Smallville.

"Mr. Lu-thor!"

beatty_1.jpg

That show didn't get any real substance until last season when Braniac and the Justice League members were introduced.

corianderstem said:

And indeed, it was a bitter, bitter end. :sad:

Anyway, I was going to say I'm currently debating about whether or not to totally bail on 24. It used to be must-see TV for me. But now I find myself missing episodes and *not* frantically trying to catch up with them over the Internet or on iTunes because I know they're going to be boring.

... and I didn't have a choice about dumping Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip earlier this year. NBC dumped it. Not me. :madspit:

I was addicted to "Lost" the first season, but it became a big pile of meh in the second season. I tried watching "Grey's Anatomy," but it's just "Melrose Place" in scrubs. And the appeal of Meredith is completely lost on me.

I was a huge fan of "Friends," but by the last couple of seasons I didn't care if I missed an episode or not. The same thing with "ER."

I was a huge X-Files lover but I too go to the point where I just couldn't take it anymore. Was a sad day when I realized that I really didn't care if I missed an episode :(.

I dumped the Real World this season. My interest in that show just dwindled away

I don't worry so much about dumping a TV show anymore but I can relate to what Trev said in starting this thread. I've felt that way before. These days it's so easy to catch up or go back and watch things again what with TiVo, DVR, DVDs and seeing things on the internet. It's no biggie anymore. I do, however get all freaked at the start of a season if there's a couple things I wanna watch all on at the same time! Yikes! :ohmy: But it always works out.

jobob said:

Anyway, I was going to say I'm currently debating about whether or not to totally bail on 24. It used to be must-see TV for me. But now I find myself missing episodes and *not* frantically trying to catch up with them over the Internet or on iTunes because I know they're going to be boring.

I dumped it a few weeks ago, after the episode when they secured the nukes (which was fantastic, I thought.) The epi was wrapping up and I found myself thinking, "So what are they going to do for the rest of the season?" Then Jack got a call from Audrey, and I decided right then and there that I was done. I'm sure I'll start watching again next year, but I can really do without an Audrey-in-peril storyline.

X-Files was a painful breakup for me as well. I've never been (and probably never will be) so addicted to watching it. I'd watch it twice! When it aired on Fridays, our network played the same episode again at 11pm. So, yes, I'd watch it both times (I was a young lass with hardly any friends in school. My closest friends were also devoted fans, so we'd either watch together or call inbetween airings to discuss.)

Thankfully, my first year of college was military, so we rats weren't allowed to watch TV. I had the pleasure of missing out on X-Files' downward spiral during that time. I heard how much it sucked from my friends, so Ive missed much of the final seasons. It sucked to let go of the show, but I was glad it was out of my control.

Side note: I hear rumors AGAIN about a new movie in the works. I think I'd be more excited if they had went back in time to kidnap Chris Carter from the early 90s and get him to write the script.

Liesje said:
I basically gave up on this season of Survivor. I don't feel sad b/c for the past 5 episodes I'd start watching and then find myself on the computer in another room or something. Now, I watch the last 10 minutes because I'm waiting in anticipation of CSI. :D

The last two episodes of Survivor have so been worth watching what, up until then, had been a pretty lackluster season. :love:

Not really. But I don't have time to watch much TV.

These days I only really watch House and Grey's regularly. ANTM and The Amazing Race are nice ways to relax but I'm not obsessive about catching them. Because I'm so busy, I don't watch anything that doesn't hold my interest, and it's not too tough.

I dropped Family Guy about a year ago when it got painfully unfunny.

Recently I watched a few older episodes of it on DVD and wondered how I ever though those were funny.

inmyplace13 said:
I dropped Family Guy about a year ago when it got painfully unfunny.

Recently I watched a few older episodes of it on DVD and wondered how I ever though those were funny.

Thank you. I thought I was the only person on the planet (my age, at least) who doesn't think that show is funny.

Back
Top Bottom