Dumb Hope, Northumberland, UK Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sad Punk said:

I thought it was a sort of blind person with cane stereotype, selling stuff at a corner. Maybe I read too many Mad magazines from the 70s. :(

Oh, I had no idea there was such a stereotype.

I just can't wait for the funny looks I'll get when I whip out my camera to photograph things.

OK, folks, I know some of you are still around. Let's not go all quiet. :tsk:

I'm just catching up on the last thread's drama a bit more. I'm glad I missed most of it while I was learning how to use the cane properly.

Axver said:
Time for salami, cheese, and tomato toasted sandwiches, now that this place is calming down. :up:

Also, guess who now has a cane.

sounds yummy, i should eat something

so what did it end up looking like? and do you think you'll use it?

Varitek said:
so what did it end up looking like? and do you think you'll use it?

The ID cane is white, the long cane is the standard grey. The person I met actually thinks I would be better off with the long cane, especially for bright days when I can't see more than a metre or two in front of me. I'm going to trial the long cane tomorrow when I go out shopping. I know I said I went to do that earlier, but by the time I'd called into university to drop off an essay and library books, I didn't have time.

Axver said:

Thanks to the Kunstmuseum, I will never be able to look at anything even vaguely related to Liechtenstein without a chuckle.

:yes:

i am so definitely going there from switzerland and sending ya'll postcards.

Axver said:

The ID cane is white, the long cane is the standard grey. The person I met actually thinks I would be better off with the long cane, especially for bright days when I can't see more than a metre or two in front of me. I'm going to trial the long cane tomorrow when I go out shopping. I know I said I went to do that earlier, but by the time I'd called into university to drop off an essay and library books, I didn't have time.

don't take my tone the wrong way here, but...why start now after not using it all this time?

what's the id vs standard?

Varitek said:

:yes:

i am so definitely going there from switzerland and sending ya'll postcards.

I expect photos from the Kunstmuseum.

Varitek said:

don't take my tone the wrong way here, but...why start now after not using it all this time?

what's the id vs standard?

Because it will make life easier. Ever since I moved well away from home, I've become fairly conscious that some things are far from ideal. Keep in mind that until a year or so ago, I still lived in a comfort zone with my mother nearby to help out whenever I needed to go anywhere, get anything, etc. All the vision people I've spoken to here are genuinely surprised I don't use a cane or have various adaptive technologies, and suspect I may be straining my eyes badly and unnecessarily.

The ID cane is just that, an ID cane. Its main use is simply to point out that, well, you have low vision. It's not as long, and you can't use it for much else except as a depth perception aid.

The long cane is actually useful for feeling along the ground as you walk and all that stuff. It's the sort of thing you see people swinging back and forth in front of them.

screwtape, i dunno if you will ever read this, but here is my 2 cents on the librarian:

I would still say that the approach you last advocated is not the best choice, because you already asked her out and she said she had a boyfriend. As a woman to whom this has happened, if you said you "cared" about me the 2nd time, still barely knowing me, I'd think you wanted an "in" romantically. Even though this might be what you want, you still have to be friends with her while she's dating this guy, and get to know her. (maybe you won't even like her romantically once you do this! happens all the time.) I'd advocate much lighter language. And spoken, not written. Something like, "hey, I know you have a boyfriend and I respect that, but I think we might hit it off as friends so I'd like to get to know you on those terms." that will let her know she is a cool person in your eyes, which is I think what you want to do, without making her wary (and she also wouldn't want to make her boyfriend suspicious if you were still indicating romantic interest, so she'd probably not want to see you in that case). and then you get to maybe make a new friend.

good luck

Axver said:

Because it will make life easier. Ever since I moved well away from home, I've become fairly conscious that some things are far from ideal. Keep in mind that until a year or so ago, I still lived in a comfort zone with my mother nearby to help out whenever I needed to go anywhere, get anything, etc. All the vision people I've spoken to here are genuinely surprised I don't use a cane or have various adaptive technologies, and suspect I may be straining my eyes badly and unnecessarily.

The ID cane is just that, an ID cane. Its main use is simply to point out that, well, you have low vision. It's not as long, and you can't use it for much else except as a depth perception aid.

The long cane is actually useful for feeling along the ground as you walk and all that stuff. It's the sort of thing you see people swinging back and forth in front of them.

:up:

you definitely don't want to strain your eyes and make them give out more/earlier down the road.

we've got 2 totally blind girls on campus, i am awed at the memory it must require to be able to walk around the maze of paths and dorms on their own, which they do. counting steps and such. in the dining hall they always have to have a friend to help. that would suck for me so much, as the food is awful and they basically can't doctor it (unless the friend really loves them and has tons of time!) with spices, mixing dishes, lemon, adding feta cheese, and the other various tricks i employ to make the dining hall grub more edible.

Varitek said:

find me a tram line in liechtenstein and i'll take you some photos.

:lol: I bet it's too small to have trams, but surely trains go through Vaduz? :hmm:

Axver said:

:lol: I bet it's too small to have trams, but surely trains go through Vaduz? :hmm:

i think from somewhere in austria; i'll be coming from the other side in all likelihood. have i mentioned my highly ambitious plan to hire a bicycle and bike across the country?

Varitek said:

:up:

you definitely don't want to strain your eyes and make them give out more/earlier down the road.

we've got 2 totally blind girls on campus, i am awed at the memory it must require to be able to walk around the maze of paths and dorms on their own, which they do. counting steps and such. in the dining hall they always have to have a friend to help. that would suck for me so much, as the food is awful and they basically can't doctor it (unless the friend really loves them and has tons of time!) with spices, mixing dishes, lemon, adding feta cheese, and the other various tricks i employ to make the dining hall grub more edible.

Yeah, my eye fatigue has been more and more noticeable through uni. That's one reason I love Interference, actually; the colours are very nice and soothing, so it's quite comfortable for me to look at.

I don't know how the totally blind do it. Just trying to find my way with shitty vision is quite hard enough. I think I'll be shitloads more comfortable with a cane once I get used to it. Though there's still the "this is going to feel weird" factor, the looks I know I'll get when I'm out photographing, and so on.

Varitek said:

i think from somewhere in austria; i'll be coming from the other side in all likelihood. have i mentioned my highly ambitious plan to hire a bicycle and bike across the country?

:lol: That'd be hilarious, to say you've biked across a country. Do it!

You could go to New Zealand, visit Auckland, and bike from sea to sea! That's how narrow the isthmus Auckland's on is. Until the mid-1950s, there was a tram line there that in effect crossed the North Island from east to west coast.

Axver said:

:lol: That'd be hilarious, to say you've biked across a country. Do it!

You could go to New Zealand, visit Auckland, and bike from sea to sea! That's how narrow the isthmus Auckland's on is. Until the mid-1950s, there was a tram line there that in effect crossed the North Island from east to west coast.

i could bike sea to sea in panama a little easier

Varitek said:

i could bike sea to sea in panama a little easier

The Auckland isthmus is narrower than Panama ...

Though given Auckland traffic, yeah, you probably would have a better chance of survival in Panama.

Varitek said:

:lmao:

totally the type of picture that shows up on the internet, of a blind man carefully framing a picture!

:laugh:

My railfan friend, she has a guide dog. A few people have said things ... most people just don't get the whole "low vision =/= NO vision at all" thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom